Midnatsol vs. Fridtjof Nansen for Antarctica

Bella0714

5 minutes ago, Bella0714 said:

I haven't but I will when I call to book.

From what I've seen, U.S. insurance doesn't cover up to real cost, until up to a covered limit.

Yes, I think it's very different in France. That's why I hope someone can advise you better about this.

Thank you again for your nice words about my blog, I will consider Alaska! 😉

There are a few sites that will give several quotes so you can compare and decide what type of coverage you need.  I have used both insuremytrip.com and squaremouth.com.  I get medical, trip cancellation and medical evacuation coverage.  The evacuation costs from Antarctica must be astronomical!!!

https://www.insuremytrip.com/?msclkid=2a534b6007ef1c1dbabe16da5e84b141&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Insure My Trip&utm_term=insuremytrip&utm_content=insuremytrip [exact]

https://www.squaremouth.com/101?utm_source=Bing&msclkid=3033332d50771bba92256e9709d151cd

Have a wonderful cruise,

~Nancy

Thanks to everyone for your valuable help. We finally booked, and after all of our debate about Midnatsol in Feb. 2020 vs. Fridtjof Nansen in 2021, we decided on…neither.

We got a great deal on the new ship, Roald Amundsen, for this coming January 27. Departing Punta Arenas. Seven days in Antarctica, three in the Falkland Islands, Beagle Channel and an attempted landing in Cape Horn (I know not to count on that). The extra day in Antarctica, the Falkland Islands and the price (lower than Midnatsol's) overcame my concerns about the new ship's launch problems. We're just going to have to have faith in Hurtigruten, which I feel is an excellent company, to work things out. Besides, by then, it will be the ship's sixth time doing that itinerary.

This is more than we'd ever expected to do. I really thought we'd end up on Holland America or Princess because of price concerns. We're very excited. Antarctica kept showing up in my dreams last night!

Edited by Bella0714
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, SarniaLo said:

I'm sure you will have a great time. This is indeed very exciting! Now on to the packing concerns 😉

Having some time in Falklands is a real bonus, it's a pretty special place for wildlife sightings.

The Falklands weren't even in any of our original plans. At first, that was the place we were planning to see penguins up-close if we did a sail-by on the mega-liners. This cruise we're doing is just one bonus after another. The only possible major negative is that for the price we got we had to take an unspecified outside cabin. We'll be relatively low (the outside cabins are Deck 4 and 5), but I'm hoping we're not too far forward. Right now, it looks like the ship has a lot of empty cabins (I think the brochure price was way too high for such a large ship), so we could get lucky.

On 11/1/2019 at 10:39 AM, Bella0714 said:

Thanks to everyone for your valuable help. We finally booked, and after all of our debate about Midnatsol in Feb. 2020 vs. Fridtjof Nansen in 2021, we decided on…neither.

We got a great deal on the new ship, Roald Amundsen, for this coming January 27. Departing Punta Arenas. Seven days in Antarctica, three in the Falkland Islands, Beagle Channel and an attempted landing in Cape Horn (I know not to count on that). The extra day in Antarctica, the Falkland Islands and the price (lower than Midnatsol's) overcame my concerns about the new ship's launch problems. We're just going to have to have faith in Hurtigruten, which I feel is an excellent company, to work things out. Besides, by then, it will be the ship's sixth time doing that itinerary.

This is more than we'd ever expected to do. I really thought we'd end up on Holland America or Princess because of price concerns. We're very excited. Antarctica kept showing up in my dreams last night!

That's fantastic! We have been looking at a possible Antarctica sailings and the Roald Amundsen's itinerary looks excellent. Where did you find the great deal? Any information that you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your help! 

1 hour ago, sunlover757 said:

That's fantastic! We have been looking at a possible Antarctica sailings and the Roald Amundsen's itinerary looks excellent. Where did you find the great deal? Any information that you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your help! 

We got it through *****.com. I was skeptical at first because the price was so low, but they’ve been around for a while and online reviews are fine. There’s no difference from what you’d get on Hurtigruten’s website; hotel in Santiago, interior flight to Punta Arenas are included. Also, any remaining concerns I had were wiped out when I paid, checked my credit card and saw that payment had gone through Hurtigruten.

Hope that helps. Let me know if you have any other questions. Dates besides ours were available.

Dave