Tequila in Costa Maya

aprilF

We will be stopping in Costa Maya on a cruise in December, it is our only Mexican port.  What is the tequila selection to buy and bring home there like?  Is there a recommended place for finding different brands of tequila?  We are more interested in variety than finding Cuervo at a deal if that makes sense.  Our other ports are Ocho Rios and Georgetown, GC so I am guessing they will (mostly) be about rum if we visit and liquor shops.  If anyone knows otherwise, please let me know.  Thanks!

There is a "tequila factory" store just outside the cruise port.  There is a liquor store with many tequila selections in the port complex.   But I encourage you to reach out to Tropicante and see their artisan tequila from a smaller producer.  You can order on line and have it waiting for you and there may or may not be a tasting happening by the distillery owners.

http://www.sandalsandskis.com/

5 hours ago, MisterOJ2 said:

A western Caribbean itinerary that doesn't stop in Cozumel? I honestly don't think I've ever seen one like that before. That's pretty interesting.

we have an upcoming trip to Costa Maya without a stop in Cozumel. 

On 10/22/2019 at 2:23 PM, aprilF said:

We will be stopping in Costa Maya on a cruise in December, it is our only Mexican port.  What is the tequila selection to buy and bring home there like?  Is there a recommended place for finding different brands of tequila?  We are more interested in variety than finding Cuervo at a deal if that makes sense.  Our other ports are Ocho Rios and Georgetown, GC so I am guessing they will (mostly) be about rum if we visit and liquor shops.  If anyone knows otherwise, please let me know.  Thanks!

I would be wary of purchasing something important in Grand Cayman. We weren’t allowed to hand-carry back on the tender and were told it had to be delivered directly to the ship from the port. We “lost” a bottle of single malt scotch.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, c-leg5 said:

I would be wary of purchasing something important in Grand Cayman. We weren’t allowed to hand-carry back on the tender and were told it had to be delivered directly to the ship from the port. We “lost” a bottle of single malt scotch.

in 2016 I bought some rum at a shop close to the dock. It was labeled properly but when I went to pick it up it was not in my section.

Turns out the ship's crew put it in the wrong place. The crew was no help, I had to search through all the sections and later found it. That was Princess but have had difficulties retrieving liquor on RCI as well.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

its safe to buy any drinks in those wester caribbean ports? Since there are lots of American died in their hotel room because of drinks or whatever ,  we will sail next month for 7 nights West Caribbean Cruise,  so sorry for asking this question

2 hours ago, hong64us said:

its safe to buy any drinks in those wester caribbean ports? Since there are lots of American died in their hotel room because of drinks or whatever ,  we will sail next month for 7 nights West Caribbean Cruise,  so sorry for asking this question

There were incidents in Cancun and rumored to be in Cozumel, at a hotel/resort almost 2 years ago now.  They caught the people. 

The only issue you'll have with drinks in Costa Maya, is drinking too much.