Explorer Suites

Emptynesters38

My wife and I will be on the Orion for a cruise. We will be in Explorer Suite 6099. It looks like a great suite.  It is located  at the stern of the ship below the Aquavit Terrace. Has anyone stayed in either Suite 6098 or 6099 and if so was there a lot of noise coming from above or can you give us any information about this cabin? 

Our cabin selection is based on my 40 years at sea and having had cabins throughout the ship. We will only book a cabin that has other cabins above, below and on both sides.

We avoid cabins (sadly based on experience) due to these potential issues:

- Extreme fwd - due to potential pounding in a seaway, anchor/chain noise, bow thruster vibration/noise, vibration/noise from the whistle and additional movement due to distance from CoG

- Extreme aft - potential vibration/noise from props especially at high speed and/or in a seaway and noise/vibration from stern thrusters (believe newer ships now have these fitted) and additional movement due to distance from CoG

- Below Sun Deck/Prom Deck - would never book any cabin in these areas due to the potential noise from dragging chairs and the nightly wash-down

The Viking benefits of booking excursions and dinner reservations early are of zero interest to us. If an excursion of interest is full and Viking don't increase capacity, we will research and book a private excursion. Dinner reservations - we will not be making any before we board.

I have survived cabins that were 8' x 10' and housed 3 cadets for 4 months, so find the DV very spacious. The DV is also about 50% larger than one we had on a previous WC. We consider the cabin is the bedroom and public spaces the living room, so I see no benefit of booking more expensive cabins in areas that are liable to get more noise and vibration. 

Just my experience, others will differ.

• Like 2

We occupied the Explorer suite deck 5 port side for 24 days.  We found it to be silent with the exception of some noise when cleaners  in the suite above moved dining chairs on the wooden floor.

If you can change to a suite with cabins above and below it should be a very quiet experience. On deck 6 below food areas I would expect some noise mornings and evenings.

I made the mistake to be over the theater once..never again. 

It was okay to hear the theater shows as i was usually in the theater for the show but during rehearsals 😱.the noise was unbearable..forget taking an afternoon nap or trying to talk to your spouse or enjoying the balcony..even the room steward complained.. 

• Like 1

On 10/27/2019 at 4:30 PM, geffric said:

It was okay to hear the theater shows as i was usually in the theater for the show but during rehearsals 😱.the noise was unbearable..forget taking an afternoon nap or trying to talk to your spouse or enjoying the balcony..even the room steward complained.. 

Wow...good to know!  I think I'll continue to try avoiding extreme fore or aft 

• 2 months later...

Mikeh58  We LOVED Suite 6099.  The veranda was a little narrower than the suites below but it winds around half the stern and is a great space. There is a double lounge chair and a single lounge chair and a table and two chairs outside. It is very restful to read and relax while the ship is at sea and you do not need to worry about getting a lounge chair around the pool.  The rooms in the suite are spacious and the location on the 6th floor is convenient. In our two week Asian cruise we only heard noise above us only two times when the staff was moving chairs and each time was for less than 5 minutes.  The shower leaked into the bathroom a few times. We never used the tub but there is a tv above the tub you can watch while you take a bath or shower   The staff is very attentive and on a longer cruise the laundry service is very helpful.  I still find tiny 6099 tags in some of my clothing!  I would consider choosing an Explorer Suite again depending on the itinerary, cruise duration and extra cost.

Enjoy your trip.

Roger   

On 10/27/2019 at 4:30 PM, geffric said:

Which ship was that?