Last 3 Carnival Freedom cruises from Galveston Cancelled

Amadawn1

Received an email with attached letter this morning from Carnival.  Cruises leaving from April 10, 2021 thru April 25, 2021 on the Carnival Freedom from Galveston have been cancelled due to it's move to Alaska. We were booked on the April 25 sailing.  Carnival offered the opportunity to rebook on another cruise:

-Your cruise rate will be protected on a comparable sailing, in similar accommodations

-Additionally, a US $50.00, per person, onboard credit will be posted to your Sail & Sign account

This couldn't have worked out better!  Got on the website and found the same 7 day itinerary on the Vista sailing May 1, 2021.  I then called Carnival.  For the exact same rate as my original booking on the Freedom, we are now booked on the Vista with $100 OBC.  Today's booking rate for that Vista sailing is $318.24 more for the same balcony stateroom.  I feel like I won the lottery!

Edited by Amadawn1
date correction
  • Like 9

We're not quite so elated.  I had 2 cabins booked on the April 18 cruise.  There are no comparable cabins on the Vista.  The same itinary isn't available on the Vista during April, and no other ships are doing that cruise out of Galveston.

Most of my morning has been divided between researching alternatives and talking to my TA.

We haven't yet figured out what to do.

4 minutes ago, bury me at sea said:

We're not quite so elated.  I had 2 cabins booked on the April 18 cruise.  There are no comparable cabins on the Vista.  The same itinary isn't available on the Vista during April, and no other ships are doing that cruise out of Galveston.

Most of my morning has been divided between researching alternatives and talking to my TA.

We haven't yet figured out what to do.

I'm sorry to hear that.  Just a head's up, though.  When I rebooked, the PVP (first time I've ever spoken to one, as I always book online) booked me at today's booking rate.  I called the main Carnival customer service line back and it took about 20 minutes, but they changed my booking rate back to my original cruise rate.  The gal I spoke with thru customer service was on her game.  The PVP guy definitely was not.  I hope things work out for you, and you can find a good cruise. 

1 hour ago, Amadawn1 said:

I'm sorry to hear that.  Just a head's up, though.  When I rebooked, the PVP (first time I've ever spoken to one, as I always book online) booked me at today's booking rate.  I called the main Carnival customer service line back and it took about 20 minutes, but they changed my booking rate back to my original cruise rate.  The gal I spoke with thru customer service was on her game.  The PVP guy definitely was not.  I hope things work out for you, and you can find a good cruise. 

Thank you.  I have phoned my TA and he is checking with Carnival.  I had two 4J cabins booked and there are 4J cabins available, though for a much higher price.  I'm waiting to see if I can get them for the price we paid on the Freedom.

19 minutes ago, bury me at sea said:

Thank you.  I have phoned my TA and he is checking with Carnival.  I had two 4J cabins booked and there are 4J cabins available, though for a much higher price.  I'm waiting to see if I can get them for the price we paid on the Freedom.

You should definitely be able to.  It states it clearly on the letter.  That's why I called customer service when my email confirmation showed the higher price.  When all was said and done the Vista cruise came out $2.00 cheaper than the Freedom because the port fees/expenses dropped by that amount since my original booking. The cabin has to only be comparable sailing, similar accommodations per the letter.  My Freedom cabin was an 8C.  The Vista is an 8B per the confirmations so it shouldn't be a problem.  I didn't even notice the cabin level when I picked the cabin number from the website and called to rebook.  Wish you luck!   

Thanks again.  I'll find out for sure tomorrow.

Our booking is further complicated because of three other cabins booked separately.  If the others agree to the date/ship/itinerary , I will try to rebook and see what happens.

My two cabins are category 4J.  I will post outcome.

• Thanks 1

I must say that 17 day reposition cruise to Seattle looks good. Lots of sea days and a full Panama canal transit.  We are booked on the 14 day partial Panama Canal in January 2021 on Freedom. We may move our booking the repostioning cruise.

Edited by stobe1
  • Like 1

Final outcome and I am considerably happier now than I was a few days ago.

We booked a group of five cabins on the Vista a week later than our cancelled Freedom cruise, same itinerary but in reverse order.  The 2 balconies and the grand suite all moved for the Freedom price plus 50 OBC per person.  They are all elated.

I had two two-person 4J interiors.  I moved to one 3-person deluxe ocean view, understanding Freedom rates wouldn't be honored since we were not booking comparable cabins, and paid current Vista rates.  My TA, after about a dozen calls with Carnival, got Carnival to agree to transferring everything I had paid on the 2 cabins to the single new cabin,  Much to my surprise he also got the 50. per person OBC for all three people.

So while I'm paying a higher price for a ship I've never particularly wanted to sail, I got to use all I had paid for four people for the new cabin plus OBC so I'm not elated but I am satisfied.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I just booked the Freedom out of Ft Lauderdale Nov 2021 - So long away.

I wouldnt cruise out of Galveston again, and Vista was not my favorite ship.  

But hey - different strokes for different folks.  I did complete the ropes course, and am deathly afraid of heights on the Vista.  That is something I will NEVER forget!  I actually did it!

Have fun