E Z air late flight

mikesusan

I arrive late at night - 1 am - for a cruise the next day - because I didn't want to risk arriving day of arrival.

Princess will. ASSIST you but they won't guarantee you still make the ship. That is very clear in the terms and conditions. 

I hope nothing goes wrong and that the next port isn't too far or too long away in case you are really late.

From another EZAir question on the first page:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2706142-ezair-options/?tab=comments#comment-58664343

Edited by frugaltravel

EZ Air offers next port protection where possible. If your embarkation port is in the U.S. and if your next port or ports are U.S. ports than U.S. law will not allow you to board until you reach a foreign port. A CA coastal is an example and there are other examples. From the Princess web site

When it comes to exploring legendary destinations around the world, you've always chosen Princess Cruises for its service and dedication as The Consummate Host®. Now, let Princess take care of all your travel arrangements, so your peace-of-mind can start before you even step onboard. To learn more, see your travel agent or call 1-800-PRINCESS (1-800-774-6237).

Air Transportation: Late Arrival Protection

Passengers who book air travel through Princess Cruises will be automatically enrolled in the Princess late arrival protection program. If guests miss or will miss their original port of embarkation due to airline delay or an airline service disruption, such as flight cancelation or flight re-routes, Princess will work with the airlines to find a reasonable alternative to provide flights to the next appropriate* port at no additional air cost to the guest.

Factors taken into account in determining the appropriateness of a port of call include, but are not limited to:

• visas and other legal documentation that may be required
  • application of the Passenger Services Act to the new itinerary
  • airport/port infrastructure
  • comparability of cost, flight connections, and travel time required (note, any refund due on the unused air ticket must be used to offset the cost of the new air ticket) 
  • where in the original itinerary this port is located

My EZAir NS flight SFO to Heathrow was going to be delayed several hours (which is when I called Princess in a panic) putting me in at 4pm instead of 12pm on embarkation day.  Then 12 hours so not only would I miss the ship but also needing a hotel room. 1st port was St Peter Port so their plan was to have me meet up with the ship at the 2nd port ... Cobh. Ran to American Airlines and they fixed it. Lost my upgrade but made the ship. Now I get in several hours early if domestic and a day or 3 early if international. 

Bc several were late AND it was not in s USA port the ship actually sailed at 7pm instead of 4. That was my last British Air flight

FWIW my kids laugh at me bc I get to the airport early whereas they are always running to get to the gate. Luckily I did that day too

edited to add: they will not assist in getting a different flight just put you up overnight 

Edited by Ombud
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Ombud said:

My EZAir NS flight SFO to Heathrow was going to be delayed several hours (which is when I called Princess in a panic) putting me in at 4pm instead of 12pm on embarkation day.  Then 12 hours so not only would I miss the ship but also needing a hotel room. 1st port was St Peter Port so their plan was to have me meet up with the ship at the 2nd port ... Cobh. Ran to American Airlines and they fixed it. Lost my upgrade but made the ship. Now I get in several hours early if domestic and a day or 3 early if international.

Do you mean when EZAir can't fix it AA fixed it? How could AA fix it for you if you're taking BA? What flight did they put you on?

Edited by aprilsp88

2 hours ago, aprilsp88 said:

Do you mean when EZAir can't fix it AA fixed it? How could AA fix it for you if you're taking BA? What flight did they put you on?

Sort of. I was at SFO 2 hrs early. I'm a frequent flier on One World and both airlines are One World Alliance members.

American Airlines put me on a SFO to Charleston and the gate closed immediately behind me. Mad dash for that. Carryon luggage only. Then AA put me on a Charleston to LHR and I was just a little late. I had to go thru Charleston bc I would have been late going to thru NYC or OHare. AA figured it out with Princess. Princess shuttle got me to the pier about on time as AA made Princess aware of my flight change. 

My frustration (which I let go of) was that I paid almost $200 to upgrade ($190?) and lost that. But made the ship. Princess I'd get reimbursement from BA / BA said AA owed me / AA said Princess should reimburse as they only resolved the problem (so true).  I made the cruise -- it was only $190+

Like I said, I now fly in 1-3 days early on international flights

45 minutes ago, Ombud said:

American Airlines put me on a SFO to Charleston and the gate closed immediately behind me. Mad dash for that. Carryon luggage only. Then AA put me on a Charleston to LHR and I was just a little late. 

I think you mean Charlotte. No direct or non stop flights from Charleston yo London. 😀

Edited by frugaltravel

8 minutes ago, frugaltravel said:

I think you mean Charlotte. No direct or non stop flights from Charleston yo London. 😀

If Charlotte is the one in NC than that's the one. I get them confused. Sorry 😒

Never got away from the gate

Edited by Ombud

46 minutes ago, Ombud said:

AA figured it out with Princess. Princess shuttle got me to the pier about on time as AA made Princess aware of my flight change. 

My frustration (which I let go of) was that I paid almost $200 to upgrade ($190?) and lost that. But made the ship. Princess I'd get reimbursement from BA / BA said AA owed me / AA said Princess should reimburse as they only resolved the problem (so true).  I made the cruise -- it was only $190+

Like I said, I now fly in 1-3 days early on international flights

Did you tell AA to contact southhampton Princess shuttle (not EZAir right)? How did you get the contact info? I'm getting nervous as I have a red eye connection flight that arrives the same day during Christmas (I can't fly in earlier due to work).

Made to the ship is such a good feeling. I think either Princess or BA should reimburse you, maybe half and half. 

A couple times in Ft. Lauderdale I have been on a ship that was due to leave at 5pm when the captain came on the speaker then and announced some passengers had just landed at the airport and we would be waiting for them. 

I don't know if all the people on those planes had EZair or even if any did but he ship in those cases did wait.  

If in a case where time may be tight, I would recommend that you use Princess transfer as they have staff looking for those passengers and can help and as soon as possible let Princess or your TA know you are on the plane and expected landing time there  

17 minutes ago, aprilsp88 said:

Did you tell AA to contact southhampton Princess shuttle (not EZAir right)? How did you get the contact info? I'm getting nervous as I have a red eye connection flight that arrives the same day during Christmas (I can't fly in earlier due to work).

Made to the ship is such a good feeling. I think either Princess or BA should reimburse you, maybe half and half. 

I ran to AA desk with my suitcase on my shoulder. Background BA is in Terminal G and AA is in Terminal 2. There's an Air Tram to take you between terminals but I couldn't spare 5 minutes. I was in tears. Their customer service was somehow alerted and calmed me down. Then they notified Princess (I called too but they had been told). 

Here's the scenario: a 67 yr old woman with a suitcase on her shoulder running full steam up to check in.  Agent said don't worry the suitcase will get there / I said something like I have a charge card if it doesn't just get me on the ship! Everyone got out of my way as I jumped the TSA line. 

NEVER AGAIN!

They sailed at 7 instead of 4 as I wasn't the only one. But if I wasn't pushy, I'd get on in Cobh. Princess would have put me up in London and flown me to Cobh. They cover hotel / food / transport to next possible embarking port (harder if your in USA but there's several NS to Miami from SFO so that's not an issue for me)

For you: be assertive if necessary / airlines have a heart and want to help. So does TSA

So that's the long story. BOTTOM LINE:

If you have EZAIR, the won't:

- rebook to another flight

- reimburse upgrade fees

They will:

- put you up if your flight causes you to miss the ship

- compensate for food (to a set amt)

- get you to the next port where you can board

3 hours ago, Ombud said:

I ran to AA desk with my suitcase on my shoulder.  Everyone got out of my way as I jumped the TSA line. 

NEVER AGAIN!

They cover hotel / food / transport to next possible embarking port

For you: be assertive if necessary / airlines have a heart and want to help. So does TSA

So glad you made it! You described it so well I can literally see what you went through, but it paid off!

I think EZair won't cover the hotel/food. Only Princess vacation protection can reimburse the hotel/food, am I right?

Thanks for the advice. Maybe your frequent flier status make the airline more willing to help.

FWIW we have a tight connection for our Dec Cruise on the Royal. We as well have platinum princess travel insurance. Its not the first time on this itinerary. We are HOPING for a delay.  Last time instead of two cold at sea days from LA to Cabo, princess flew us to Cabo where we arrived a day early.took care of meals and hotel etc. It was wonderful......... Not sure I'd risk it on other itineraries, but for this one its a can't lose.....

Edited by TNTLAMB
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, TNTLAMB said:

FWIW we have a tight connection for our Dec Cruise on the Royal. We as well have platinum princess travel insurance. Its not the first time on this itinerary. We are HOPING for a delay.  Last time instead of two cold at sea days from LA to Cabo, princess flew us to Cabo where we arrived a day early.took care of meals and hotel etc. It was wonderful......... Not sure I'd risk it on other itineraries, but for this one its a can't lose.....

Who took care of the meals and hotel? I would think EZair as for insurance you can only get reimbursement afterwards, they won't help you make the arrangement?

5 hours ago, TNTLAMB said:

Everything was taken care of, well except  margaritas on the beach.....

My understanding is EZair only protect you to next port, but you have to book your own hotel and later file insurance to get the expense back. But in your case Princess book the hotel for you and I'm trying to find out how to do it? Did you call Princess to let them know your flight was delayed, then Princess book both hotel and flight for you?

Port agent did it all (I assume) we also had princess transfers. Princess will do a lot for you (as will the airlines) if you let them depending on your attitude and how you ask. We never had to leave the airport. The instant one TELLS them what to do you are sunk. I have always had hotels paid for with weather delays been on the first flights out, eals and depending on the airline discount coupons, while at the same time haering folks telling them how its going to be blown off with nothing except standby for an available flight. It's amazing what telling the agent "I bet you are getting hammered by folks, lets pretend we are "talking about it for a few minutes while you catch your breath, then deal with it" as opposed to I am elite and expect....... You do know every passenger whether its a cruise line or an airline likely has notes from other interactions available to whoever is dealing with you right and sometimes even a rating?

Edited by TNTLAMB