Beach and Shopping Suggestions for a Couple

ashleyriley

Hi CC Community! My husband and I are on the NCL Breakaway the second week of Dec. It docks at Havensight from 7 -2. From the research I have done, I see that there are a total of 5 ships in port that day, on Wed. Dec 18th, to include NCL Encore and RCCL Symphony. In other words, the island is going to be extremely crowded, am I correct? My husband and I tentatively planned on a beach then shopping. Thought we would do the beach first to beat the crowds and the stores won't even open till 9. Question: Good beach to chill, we don't care to snorkel. Magen's Bay? How much should a taxi cost? Best places to shop? I know Havensight Mall is right at the dock but those place may not be best for prices and selection. Thanks for any insight!

Your plan makes sense so go to Mages early. A taxi will be $8/person each way and there is an entrance fee $5 per. 
Get your fill of beach time and head back depending on the time to either town or Havensight. The shops and prices are pretty much the same but if time permits it’s good to see town. 

• Thanks 1

Yes Havensight is fine for shopping. As Bill mentioned seeing some of the charm of Charlotte Amalie is almost a “must-do” for first-time visits but your time is short.

If you had more time I’d suggest an hour at a Paradise Point before shopping at Havensight but maybe next visit!

• Thanks 1

If you have I recommend going "downtown" to shop.  The prices are better and there is a better selection than Havensight.  Just ask your taxi driver to drop you off downtown.  It will cost a few dollars to get back to the pier from there.  

• Thanks 1

Shopping CA is certainly more of an ”experience” with the barkers, and some visitors are interested in a specific store in town that is not located in the Havensight Mall although many are also located there. If you have time you would probably enjoy seeing some of the alleys and shops in the old buildings in town. But if you are enjoying a nice day at the beach don’t cut that too short! 

• Thanks 1

On 10/30/2019 at 7:53 AM, blue_water said:

Yes Havensight is fine for shopping. As Bill mentioned seeing some of the charm of Charlotte Amalie is almost a “must-do” for first-time visits but your time is short.

If you had more time I’d suggest an hour at a Paradise Point before shopping at Havensight but maybe next visit!

I thought Ms 411 said main street was closed due to all the construction going on in downtown and there wasn't anything open there now. 

Downtown Charlotte Amalie is a "must do" but it's not if it's not open.  

Great vibe downtown genuine party atmosphere really enjoy it. 

15 hours ago, TTEllis said:

I thought Ms 411 said main street was closed due to all the construction going on in downtown and there wasn't anything open there now. 

Downtown Charlotte Amalie is a "must do" but it's not if it's not open.  

Great vibe downtown genuine party atmosphere really enjoy it. 

Yes she did say Main St is under construction but the Waterfront area is not affected. Not sure about the scenic alleys between Veterans Drive and the main street  of shops...

But again on this shorter visit Havensight Mall probably makes more sense.....

• Thanks 1

On 11/3/2019 at 9:50 AM, blue_water said:

Yes she did say Main St is under construction but the Waterfront area is not affected. Not sure about the scenic alleys between Veterans Drive and the main street  of shops...

But again on this shorter visit Havensight Mall probably makes more sense.....

Downtown Charlotte Amalie one of the best vibes in the western hemisphere. 

Really hope things get back to like it was back in the day. Nothing but true fun, main street, the alleys were elbow room only. 

Always hit Riise and bought a cold bottle of White Star and drank it shopping downtown it was great. 

Charlotte Amalie is very nostalgic, when you walk through downtown you can feel the age of the city, there's not much like it. 

You can buy a great bottle of anything for around $10-$15 still all these years later. Take your own plastic cup drop them both in your backpack, mix your own drinks, walk EVERYWHERE in downtown Charlotte Amalie, have a blast, never be bothered, be left alone, great little town. Thank God it's ours.

Later Todd

We rarely venture into CA when staying on the island, mainly because we’ve seen it all on early cruises, and we’re not fans of the barkers and crowds. Same when on SXM, Philipsburg is a similar shopping mecca. But everyone should see CA once, especially first-time visitors (when time allows that), and especially the historic area. There are also some great restaurants worth enjoying.

Main Street may be a destination again when Blackbeard's reopens in December. I bought great stuff on other islands during my cruise. I bought handmade sandals in Barbados. Half sarongs in St Martin. Plastic bag holder doll in St Lucia. 

I certainly hope so I've really enjoyed myself in downtown, it wouldn't be fair to everybody if it didn't get back to "normal". Every time I was there it was a cruisers party. Everybody was having fun not just me. 

Sounds like your island shopping spree went great, I really enjoy shopping all over the islands. 

St.Thomas, St.Maarten, St. Lucia, and Curacao being my favorite islands to blow a bunch of money I shouldn't be. 

Makes for a GREAT time though. Great time!!😃

Nice! I love shopping in the market it can get a bit tight in there but it's lots of fun.

When I shop in the islands I have a tendency to drink alcohol at the same time, come to think of it I have a tendency to drink alcohol all the time on vacation with that means the more alcohol I consume the more money I spend shopping mostly for me though so that makes it ok.😆