Questions about bringing a CPAP

poeticlicensed

We are booked on the Seaside out of Miami on Dec 21. I sent the  special needs form in today via email. WE normally cruise Celebrity and know that they supply the cord and water, but MSC doesn't, which I'm fine with, BTW.  My question is, am I going to have an issue with security at the port about bringing a gallon of water through security? The port security is not MSC, they are CBP, DHS and TWIC employees. I just don't want to have a problem. 

Also, when we fly, my husband will get a letter from his doctor that he keeps with the CPAP just in case the airlines have an issue. We drive to Miami so I normally don't bother for a cruise. Should I bother getting a letter for a cruise on MSC? I just don't want to run into any obstacles when checking in. 

Lastly, where is the plug in the cabin? We have a balcony room. The cord on his CPAP is long, but if the only plug is across from the bed, we will need to bring an extension cord

Lots of people travel with CPAP, noone will blink an eye.  You will need an extension cord.  This is a balcony cabin on Seaside.  Note the desk on the left side.  It is on the side opposite the bed'

enhance

enhance

enhance

This is what is available at the desk:

enhance

EM

I always keep an extension cord in my cpap case.  The plug is on the desk, I plug mine in each night and unplug it in the morning and stash the cord under the bed so its not a tripping hazard. Been on many cruises and have never had a problem.

Our times on Seaside have always been in Yacht Club, and they have gotten us distilled water.  That may only be for YC guests.  I think if your water is still sealed, you shouldn't have a problem with security.  I saw someone bring one through last March, and he just told the officer that it was for a CPAP.  No problem with the security officer.  I don't know if I would want to carry the water, though.  If you are only going for a week, the machine will run fine with tap or bottled water, or your room steward should be able to get you some.  I bring my own extension cord, because you will need the extra length across the room (I would go with a 20 or 21 ft. one, or two 15 foot ones).  I wouldn't worry about a doctor's note for air travel or the port.  I travel twice a month, and never have been held up by TSA.  Airlines list CPAP machines as acceptable in checked luggage or carry-on baggage.  I've never had a problem using one on the plane while on overnight flights. I've never been held by port security either.  Have a great cruise.

DO NOT COUNT ON GETTING DISTILLED WATER !

We were on the Seaside last month.

We were in the yacht club in the ROYAL SUITE, have a BLACK CARD and filled out the SPECIAL NEEDS FORM ahead of time..

We were informed by email we would not be provided with distilled water & to bring our own. It also said to be sure the seal on the bottled had not been broken or security would take the bottle.

So....we brought on a gallon ourselves.....thought it was a bit petty we had to do this.

All other cruiselines we had been on provided it for us.

21 minutes ago, Shippy said:

DO NOT COUNT ON GETTING DISTILLED WATER !

We were on the Seaside last month.

We were in the yacht club in the ROYAL SUITE, have a BLACK CARD and filled out the SPECIAL NEEDS FORM ahead of time..

We were informed by email we would not be provided with distilled water & to bring our own. It also said to be sure the seal on the bottled had not been broken or security would take the bottle.

So....we brought on a gallon ourselves.....thought it was a bit petty we had to do this.

All other cruiselines we had been on provided it for us.

Must not have had Vishnu as your butler!  I love how MSC continues to exceed at continuous inconsistency!  In March, we had two half-gallon containers.  You did put it right:  Do not count on MSC from one trip to the next!

1 hour ago, JAGR said:

Must not have had Vishnu as your butler!  I love how MSC continues to exceed at continuous inconsistency!  In March, we had two half-gallon containers.  You did put it right:  Do not count on MSC from one trip to the next!

We considered waiting until getting on the ship & asking the butler but did not want to take a chance.

My husband has a severe problem in his sinus cavities & has to use a prescription rinse every day. This is mixed with distilled water so you can see why we brought our own.

14 minutes ago, Shippy said:

We considered waiting until getting on the ship & asking the butler but did not want to take a chance.

My husband has a severe problem in his sinus cavities & has to use a prescription rinse every day. This is mixed with distilled water so you can see why we brought our own.

I totally understand!  I was just pointing out how much MSC is changing its guidelines and procedures! 

Check with special needs. 

On the Divina, we were informed that there was a special plug  in the headboard for a CPAP machine.  

It could only be accessed by ship's maintenance and one needed to contact Guest Services to arrange for the person to come to the cabin (a passenger must be in the cabin).

Perhaps the Seaside has the same hidden plug. 

16 hours ago, Maysel said:

You can get a gallon of distilled water from the Medical clinic on the ship.  We did this on the Divina.  

Last December Medical on the Divina did not provide distilled water. Said that they don't have enough room on the ship to supply it and told me to buy some in Jamaica.  I was like where at in Jamaica 🙄 Complained to an officer and they provided me with distilled water.  DO NOT count on MSC providing it.

13 hours ago, Homosassa said:

Check with special needs. 

On the Divina, we were informed that there was a special plug  in the headboard for a CPAP machine.  

It could only be accessed by ship's maintenance and one needed to contact Guest Services to arrange for the person to come to the cabin (a passenger must be in the cabin).

Perhaps the Seaside has the same hidden plug. 

Wait the Divina has hidden plugs in the head board? This is news to me. I’m about to do my third cruise on the Divina next month and didn’t know about this plug. What type of cabin were you in?

To OP you shouldn’t have any problem with port security. My husband and I both have cpap machines and always carry them on. As for water we’ve just used bottled water for our cruise and then cleaned out the sediment with vinegar when we got home after our cruise because it was easier than carrying water. But I have seen people carry water in with them for their cpap. We bring a an extension cord and find a way to run it so that it isn’t a tripping hazard especially in the middle of the night. So we use magnets, picture frames etc to hold the cord or run it along the floor tucked into corners around outside of room. You won’t need a note from the doctor you will be ok. 

12 hours ago, ready2cruzagain said:

Last December Medical on the Divina did not provide distilled water. Said that they don't have enough room on the ship to supply it and told me to buy some in Jamaica.  I was like where at in Jamaica 🙄 Complained to an officer and they provided me with distilled water.  DO NOT count on MSC providing it.

We were on her this past December and we purchased it from Medical. That is what my travel agent told us to do before we left. 

11 hours ago, Maysel said:

We were on her this past December and we purchased it from Medical. That is what my travel agent told us to do before we left. 

Strange.  We were on the Divina for 32 days.  They were able to make me distilled water (yes they have the ability) so I did not have an issue.  Medical told me they had none.  Maybe you were on the cruise after me.  I was never offered to buy it.

On 11/9/2019 at 9:07 AM, joeyjeremiah said:

Wait the Divina has hidden plugs in the head board? This is news to me. I’m about to do my third cruise on the Divina next month and didn’t know about this plug. What type of cabin were you in?

We were in a Bella interior cabin so I would imagine that all cabins on the Divina would have this plug.

It was actually my son-in-law that uses the CPAP and he was in the same type cabin next to us. While we were  told that plug was in the headboard, my daughter told us a more accurate description of the placement was somewhere down near the floor. The maintenance person had to move the bedside tables and remove a cover over the plug.

If I remember correctly, the plug was a European style plug and an adopter was needed. Because the CPAP was listed on their cruise reservations, a extension cord with a built in adapter was provided by the ship.

7 hours ago, Maysel said:

I mistyped. We were on in January. It’s easy to make distilled water. You just boil it and let it cool. 

Boiled water is not distilled water.  You need to collect the water vapor off of the boiled water, the water vapor is distilled water, not the actual boiling water.  Anyhoo, going on the Seaside this month for 21 days and received an email to bring my own distilled water, MSC said they would not supply it.

Emailed the Special Requirements form to MSC yesterday, and today got the response.. in part:

"Due to the very limited supply, it is recommended for guests to bring their own distilled water and extension cords as needed. Please ensure the distilled water is in the original, unopened container in order to be accepted on board."

Unbelievably petty on MSC's part.  (Especially when booked in the YC). 

Every other cruise line does provide both if requested.