How do you get upgrades?

Squirtreena

YOu pay for the upgrade?? then what is everyone talking about ?? posting questions about the best upgrade they ever got??

I thought if there was room they upgraded you for free, like hotels...is this not correct?? sorry...a little confused

Yes, there are times you can be upgraded for free from an inside to an outside or a oceanview to a balcony. If someone knows the secret in obtaining one, I'm all ears.

Many times when you arrive at the port you'll see a sign that says "upgrades available". At that time if you wish to upgrade your cabin you can pay to be upgraded.

More times then not though the signs will say "no upgrades available".

I think there are two terms, upgrade and upsell. An upgrade is a change to a better category cabin with no charge. They seem to be getting fewer as more cruises sail sold out and also some lines seem to upgrade more than others. An upsell is a change of category with an additional cost, but an amount lower than the change would normally be. I'm not sure if there is anything you can do to put yourself in a better light for either. Every cruise we have ever been on has had the "no upgrades" sign at the reception desk when we board.

There are two kinds upsell, and upgrade. if you book a guarantee cabin you are more likely to get an upgrade, or you can let them know you are interested when you book a cabin. The main formula for selecting who is offered what is how much they paid for what they currently have in comparison to everyone else in that category. So if you happen to pay 1000. pp for your cabin and the average others paid was 850pp you are likely to be upgraded.

One way to get upgrades is to watch prices carefully, especially before final payment date. We have had our TA switch us to a higher category for a lower price on a few cruises. For instance, we went from an inside cabin to an obstructed view cabin and ended up spending less on our cruise to Alaska a few years ago.

Another way to get an upgrade is to book at the last minute--especially guaranteed cabins. But don't try this if you wouldn't be happy if you get the worst possible cabin in your guarantee category. For our most recent cruise, we booked a cat. H (porthole) and received a cat. C (highest level of outside cabin, not including balconies and suites). I booked just 4 weeks before departure.

I know before we cruised Carnival Inspiration we booked during a sale on a guarantee 3 months before the cruise. I made the mistake of telling this to a fellow passenger. She had booked 8 months before the cruise-we were on the same deck and her inside cabin had cost her $100 more then my outside did. Boy was she mad. The object of that lession-NEVER tell felllow passengers what you paid for a cruise.

I do think though it has alot to do with your TA and not only booking a guarantee. when you are a repeat customer your TA will work to get you a "deal" alot quick then he/she will do for a first time customer.

We got lucky on our last cruise. We booked GTD Inside and ended up getting an oceanview. We were thrilled! We booked GTD Inside again this time, and we honestly don't mind if we stay inside or where. We'll be happy if the Guarantee Fairy visits again though.

We were told that the best chance to get an upgrade is to book early, because as the ship sells out, they'll upgrade the GTD Inside to be able to sell more of them.

Now....how true this is? I don't know. I can't vouch for it, but it does make sense!

I don't believe that they upgrade the lowest to sell more because the cruise we have booked they are now selling IS guarantee for the same price as OV guarantee. I called PVP to see if she could change ours to OV since they are now the same but we had booked on a rate that they are no longer offering for that sailing so it would cost us $900.00 to change now.

• 3 weeks later...

We got up graded from a balcony to a junior suite just last year on a Royal Caribbean ship...I had booked well in advance, but about 4 weeks before my cruise I paid for a balcony garentee...from an outside and much to my suprise it was a junior suite...not only a junior suite but one aft with an extra large balcony. No tellin

Took our first cruise to Bermuda in October 2004. Went on the Empress of the Seas & picked out our cabin number eight months before we sailed. When we arrived at the pier to check-in we were told we had an upgrade. We booked an inside cabin on the 6th deck and ended up with a full oceanview cabin also on the 6th deck. Ahh, that was a huge surprise. Hoping this second cruise on the Zenith this October will be just as lucky for us. ;)

Archived