Scooter Rentals on GC - Anyone with experience?

Elusive_Cruiser

We've been to Grand Cayman a number of times and would like to travel on our own this time.  Does anyone have experience with travelling the island with a scooter?  We've done this before in Cozumel, and was able to travel on either the shoulder of the highway, or on the secondary highway.  I don't like to go too fast!!  We're interested in driving up to Rum Point on the east side of the island....is this an easy drive?

Edited by Elusive_Cruiser

Rent a car.  It’s a long drive, and the shoulders aren’t paved in most places (and in some spots there aren’t even any shoulders) so you’d be on the road the whole time, and driving on the left takes some getting used to, even in a car.  A lot of the rental places have jeeps, so you could take the top off if you wanted.  Also, depending on when you are going you could have to deal with scorching sun or pouring rain (or both) so you’re going to want the ability to be inside a vehicle if you need to.

potentially a great way to learn all about emergency medical service in Cayman

when I was serving on CG Cutters working the Carib' a general order came down proscribing renting 2 wheeled motor of any type while on R&R in the islands (which we visited regularly). This was the result of too many serious injuries.

Some have argued "I'm a rider. I know what I'm doing."  But there are big differences including

- driving on the 'other side'

- above influenced by a beer or 3

- other tourist traffic and pedestrians not used to traffic on the other side stepping out in front of you

- often dubious condition of the vehicle wrt brakes and tires

- SAND which makes the road like riding on ice

get a car or a jeep or a taxi ......

I once watched a young lady who was on a moped in Bermuda, riding in her bathing suit. Slow and controlled she stopped for a traffic signal and her foot slipped on sand as I've mentioned.  She went down slow and controlled and ended up sitting on the hot motor and exhaust .... in her bathing suit. It was not pretty.

We have done this--albeit in the past, and had a great time!  We stopped frequently for the scenery and went to all the places tours typically go.  My spouse was a very experienced motorcycle and we had driven abroad on opposite side of road, so we did not have any of the problems mentioned by the other posters.  No bathing suits, no drinks, no speeding =  leisurely pace, enjoying the scenery. 

These days there probably is more traffic going east so it is up to you to decide on your comfort level with going this route.  I just wanted to make my comments as someone who has had a positive experience with this, although I was not the driver!