I didn't purchase a beverage package in my booking. Are there any beverage discounts or deals on board?

I'm not a big drinker, but since I haven't cruised with NCL before, I thought that I would ask.

I booked my cabin as a Sail Away with no included package deals.  I will be bringing a bottle of wine on board and paying the $15 uncorking fee.

Does the cruise offer any beverage deals once aboard? Like a "happy hour" or special day discount?

I doubt that there will be, but just curious.

If you like wine, look at bottle wine packages aboard (called Viva vino or something) or pay corkage on more bottles at boarding.  

If you like inexpensive sparkling wine, you could make friends with latitudes members (loyalty members) who have drink packages; they may not want the free bubbly gift in their cabins.

Edited by Starry Eyes

27 minutes ago, Starry Eyes said:

If you like inexpensive sparkling wine, you could make friends with latitudes members (loyalty members) who have drink packages; they may not want the free bubbly gift in their cabins.

Ha,ha! I don't need to beg from other passengers for a bottle of cheap wine.  I was just wondering if the ship has special beverage discounts after coming on board.

As my original post stated, I do usually bring a bottle of wine on board.

I can afford a drink whenever I want thanks.

Edited by The Wanderer_112358

Hmm, no offense intended.  I did not mean to imply that you need to beg.  Honestly, there are a lot of free bottles of bubbly in cabins; I suspect many are not consumed, especially with so many on beverage packages.  I have seen people offering bottles to others.

I know now you are bringing one bottle and paying corkage.  One can bring more. We have brought four carefully selected bottles, paid corkage, and enjoyed better wines on board at a lower prices. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, The Wanderer_112358 said:

Ha,ha! I don't need to beg from other passengers for a bottle of cheap wine. 

Trust me... you wouldn't need to beg haha I'll be leaving mine in the solo lounge on my sailing and it'll be finders keepers! lol 

But also I'd not recommend it... better to bring a couple more bottles on board and pay the corkage imo 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, CazV said:

But also I'd not recommend it... better to bring a couple more bottles on board and pay the corkage imo 

I agree.  I really can't stand cheap, sparkling wine.

Since I will be leaving from Barcelona, I'll buy me a couple of bottles of nice Spanish red wines and pay the uncorking fee.

Thanks.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, The Wanderer_112358 said:

I agree.  I really can't stand cheap, sparkling wine.

Since I will be leaving from Barcelona, I'll buy me a couple of bottles of nice Spanish red wines and pay the uncorking fee.

Thanks.

Ah, from Barcelona...fond memories and a wonderful place to enjoy wine. 

Last time I sailed from Barcelona, corkage was not uniformly collected at the pier.  At that time, whenever one opened the bottles in the cabin, one could enjoy glasses there or carry the glasses anywhere.  There was even a store in the terminal past security.  Not certain of the current situation.

7 minutes ago, Starry Eyes said:

Last time I sailed from Barcelona, corkage was not uniformly collected at the pier.  At that time, whenever one opened the bottles in the cabin, one could enjoy glasses there or carry the glasses anywhere.  There was even a store in the terminal past security.  Not certain of the current situation.

That brings up a good question.

What should be my procedure for carrying on my two bottles of Spanish wine at Embarkation in my small carry-on daypack?  Do I notify the security agents of my wine?  Or do I let them notify me during personal items searches?

In other words,  how is wine brought on board identified for a corkage fee at Security?

What would you suggest?

I will be in Barcelona for 4 days before my ship the NCL Star sails.  I am a little worried about the current Star engine issues right now.

I simply LOVE Barcelona!  Yes, it is always full of tourist, but the people are easy going, friendly and the culture is amazing!  Plus, as we both know, GREAT inexpensive Spanish wines.

My hotel is walking distance from the cruise pier.  Plus, there is a handy Cruise Port Bus Shuttle if it's raining.

I can't wait!

1 hour ago, The Wanderer_112358 said:

That brings up a good question.

What should be my procedure for carrying on my two bottles of Spanish wine at Embarkation in my small carry-on daypack?  Do I notify the security agents of my wine?  Or do I let them notify me during personal items searches?

In other words,  how is wine brought on board identified for a corkage fee at Security?

What would you suggest?

Pack the wine in your carry on bags.  Place it somewhere easily accessible, so you can pull out the bottles at the corkage fee table in the terminal.  They apply stickers to each bottle after you pay the fee.  

If you plan to take the bottles to a public venue such as a restaurant, you’ll want the sticker, so find the table.  If the bottles will stay in your cabin and nobody walks you from security to the corkage table, it becomes your call whether to find the corkage table and declare the bottles.

I have not sailed from Barcelona for a few years, so things may well have changed there.   My last Barcelona cruise was on a different line. Perhaps somebody else can update.  As I recall it was easy to carry wine aboard the other line without anybody flagging it...basically honor system (unless it was in a liquor or wine store bag that caught their eye).

8 minutes ago, Starry Eyes said:

Pack the wine in your carry on bags.  Place it somewhere easily accessible, so you can pull out the bottles at the corkage fee table in the terminal.  They apply stickers to each bottle after you pay the fee.  

If you plan to take the bottles to a public venue such as a restaurant, you’ll want the sticker, so find the table.  If the bottles will stay in your cabin and nobody walks you from security to the corkage table, it becomes your call whether to find the corkage table and declare the bottles.

I have not sailed from Barcelona for a few years, so things may well have changed there.   My last Barcelona cruise was on a different line. Perhaps somebody else can update.  As I recall it was easy to carry wine aboard the other line without anybody flagging it...basically honor system (unless it was in a liquor or wine store bag that caught their eye).

Thanks!

There was an early happy hour in O'Sheenans on the Escape for breakfast.  They had Bloody Marys, Screwdrivers and Mimosas for $5.99.  I've also brought on wine numerous times.  I keep it in my carry on and wait for them to spot it in the xray machines and direct me to the table to pay.  Sometimes they do, and sometimes they don't :-)  My last transatlantic I had 6 bottles in a wine carrier bag and didn't have to pay corkage.  That was out of Brooklyn and I didn't even see a table set up to pay the corkage fee!

• Like 1

Best deal on the ship for pay by the drink is the various tastings.  I went to a Martini tasting for $20 plus autograt on Epic and well worth the $$, I think we got 4 or 5 full size martinis....I know there are other tastings as well.

On 11/9/2019 at 6:28 PM, CazV said:

Trust me... you wouldn't need to beg haha I'll be leaving mine in the solo lounge on my sailing and it'll be finders keepers! lol