General questions regarding the MSC Meraviglia

Danny61231

Hey Everyone, 

My wife and I along with our two children (ages 3 and 6) will be sailing on the MSC Meraviglia in March of 2020. We have previously sailed on the Seaside so we do have knowledge of how MSC works but since this is our first time sailing with the kids and I haven't done a lot of research on the Meraviglia yet, I have LOTS of questions. 

1 - How do the kids clubs work? Are they open all day or.only during certain hours? Will my 6 year old and 3 year old be able to attend the same kids club?

2 - Do I need to bring any special information with (for example immunization records) for my children to use the kids clubs?

3 - Do they have any type of kids menus or other food options in the main dining rooms for children? Like many kids, mine can be fairly picky when it comes to food. 

4 - Are the main dining rooms and the buffet the only free dining options on the ship? Any kind of snack bars or anything that are included?

5 - How are the late night food options at the buffet? When we were on the Seaside after about 10 PM or so all of the food was gone and you had nothing to eat.

6 - What are the height / age restrictions for the water slides and the ropes course? I know both of my kids would enjoy it so I'm hoping they can. Also, are all of the pools deep (except for the kids pool)?

7 - Our sailing includes the "Easy" drinks package and we're trying to figure out what's included. We normally like to try a bunch of the fruity type drinks or frozen drinks. If a drink is to expensive to be included, do you have to pay full price or just the difference between what your package covers and the cost of the drink?

8 - Does anyone have any pictures of some of the bar menus to show what may be included?

9 - While we were on the Seaside we found yourself at the Haven lounge every night for music and game shows. What area would offer this same stuff on the Meraviglia? 

I'm sure I will come up with many more questions but this is a good start. Thanks.in advance for any answers you can provide!

Dan

I haven't seen any line ask for immunization records and last try at kids club on MSC was 2016.

We've done Seaside twice and Mera in March.  From all the research, Mera similar to Seaside but more enclosed than open.  Buffet is On 15.

Two for fee cirque shows.

16 hours ago, Danny61231 said:

Thanks! More replies with answers to more of the questions will be greatly appreciated! 

Good luck with the answers, it looks like your post has had over 200 views but only 2 responses. I wish I could help but we haven't sailed on the Meraviglia yet (tho' we're supposed to in just 25 days). Have a great cruise, I hope you have a wonderful time. The Ocean Cay should be open by March 2020, if not before.

I don't have the answers for the OP yet, but we will be on the Meraviglia in less than 2 weeks for Thanksgiving, and I can try to get some answers to these (or any other questions anyone can think of before then) when we are onboard.

I do have a question myself though before our trip, if anyone would be so kind to share - what MDR(s) have 2-top tables and what would be the best locations for these, in case we are lucky to be able to switch to one of them?

(I should have asked @nikkiw60 while she was there, but I guess I got distracted following her and Bea's travels - thank you both for sharing!)

Edited by Wor1dTrave11er
Corrected typo

As we just sailed the Meraviglia a few weeks ago with a 2 year old, let me answer some of the questions that I can:

1 - How do the kids clubs work? Are they open all day or.only during certain hours? Will my 6 year old and 3 year old be able to attend the same kids club?

Basically it is broken into 4 separate clubs, with 2 separate openings for each club.

- There are 4 clubs based on age.  Babies (0-2), Toddlers (2-5), Mini Juniors (6-10 I think), and Juniors (10-15 I think).  Not 100% sure on the last 2 as it didn't really apply to us, but you get the gist.  

As for the times, there are 2-4 times a day where there is xxx Care.  Baby Care/Toddler Care, etc.  This is basically like day care.  You drop off your kid, they give you an emergency phone that works anywhere on the ship.  And it's a window of like 2 hours where they watch your kid.  For the older kids, that could also mean taking them to dinner as a group.  

Then there is family time or free play.  Most (like say 10-12 hours a day) the 4 rooms are open.  But no supervision.  You will have to be there your kid.  But it's great because it's basically a play room.  They have baby toys like cars and puzzles.  Legos (so many legos!), coloring, fooseball, Xbox for the older kids, etc.  

2 - Do I need to bring any special information with (for example immunization records) for my children to use the kids clubs?

No - you sign them up on Day 1, and sign a waiver form basically removing MSC from any potential lawsuit.  No records needed.  

3 - Do they have any type of kids menus or other food options in the main dining rooms for children? Like many kids, mine can be fairly picky when it comes to food. 

There is a different children's menu daily for all dining rooms, that kind of goes along with the them of the evening.  Usually like 8-10 different options on there.  And if for example it is Italian night, they would have like spaghetti and meatballs.  But there are always the tried and true options of like pizza, chicken nuggets, etc.  Lunch, in the buffet, in the back there is a family section, which has kid-friendly options like Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for example, that you can't find anywhere else in the buffet line.  

4 - Are the main dining rooms and the buffet the only free dining options on the ship? Any kind of snack bars or anything that are included?

Nope, just the MDR, Buffet, and specialty restaurants.  Nothing like an O'Sheehans on NCL for example.  Best thing we did was book the fantasica experience so we were able to order room service when our son got hungry at "off" times.  

5 - How are the late night food options at the buffet? When we were on the Seaside after about 10 PM or so all of the food was gone and you had nothing to eat.

Latest I went was around 11:45 and it was mostly just pizza and some "snack" foods.  

I will say this, I'm not sure if you have ever cruised with NCL.  But the kids program on MSC is like 10x better.  Our son literally loved the kids club.  He would get upset and cry when we would pick him up.  And when we would go there, and as soon as we got off on the 18th floor, the walls are painted red (totally different than anywhere else on the ship), he would realize where we were and run down the hallway to get to the kids rooms.  Amazing staff, amazing setup, really made the trip much more enjoyable for a 2 year old couped up in a tiny cabin, and for us, as it gave us a little adult time daily.  

• Like 1

On 11/11/2019 at 8:55 AM, Danny61231 said:

Hey Everyone, 

My wife and I along with our two children (ages 3 and 6) will be sailing on the MSC Meraviglia in March of 2020. We have previously sailed on the Seaside so we do have knowledge of how MSC works but since this is our first time sailing with the kids and I haven't done a lot of research on the Meraviglia yet, I have LOTS of questions. 

6 - What are the height / age restrictions for the water slides and the ropes course? I know both of my kids would enjoy it so I'm hoping they can. Also, are all of the pools deep (except for the kids pool)?

7 - Our sailing includes the "Easy" drinks package and we're trying to figure out what's included. We normally like to try a bunch of the fruity type drinks or frozen drinks. If a drink is to expensive to be included, do you have to pay full price or just the difference between what your package covers and the cost of the drink?

8 - Does anyone have any pictures of some of the bar menus to show what may be included?

9 - While we were on the Seaside we found yourself at the Haven lounge every night for music and game shows. What area would offer this same stuff on the Meraviglia? 

I'm sure I will come up with many more questions but this is a good start. Thanks.in advance for any answers you can provide!

Dan

We went on the Meraviglia a few months ago so can answer some of your questions.  My children had no interest in the kids club, so I can’t help with those questions (although I know they don’t ask for immunisation records).  For the other questions I can answer:

3.  There are kids menus on the dining room - they change daily, although they tend to rotate the same options.  Usual things like burger, pizza, pasta etc.  There were a couple of options always available such as minute steak and chicken breast.  

4.  The buffet and main restaurants are the only free venues - there is a snack bar near the pool which has some breakfast options and burgers etc at lunch.

6.  There are no age restrictions on the slides/ high ropes, it is all done by height.  From memory most of the slides were about 106cm, apart from the bowl slide which was 122cm.  The high ropes was also 122cm.

7.  If the drink is not included in the drinks package you pay the full price, not the difference.  You can however buy a mocktail (for example mojito zero/ zero daiquiri) and shot of rum which are both in the easy package to make your frozen drinks.  We upgraded to premium drinks for more choice, but we saw people do this.

Hope this helps - we loved our time on the Meraviglia!

• Like 1

Thanks guys for the great responses! These answers help us out a lot and will go a long way with our planning.

Does anyone happen to have any bar menu pictures?

Information on where the music / dancing / games normally happen at night?

With the fantastica package, is room service food included in the cruise price or do you have to pay extra?

Thanks a lot! Dan

37 minutes ago, Danny61231 said:

With the fantastica package, is room service food included in the cruise price or do you have to pay extra?

Basic items are included, and the delivery/service fee is waived.  Things like pizza you still have to pay an upcharge for.  

We were on the 10/28 sailing and had the "easy" drink package. We had frozen drinks daily by asking for the alcohol free frozen drink with a shot of rum or whatever alcohol was appropriate to the drink. Same with  bloody marys. Buffet was very good, especially the pizza! All the children we saw in the main dining rooms seemed content with what they were ordering. Can't speak to the Kids Club....they don't allow senior citizens in!

We also had “easy package” and it worked great for us - you can order various frozen drinks and as already stated ask for a shot on the side - some servers even ask if you want it added - just be clear when ordering - also at Edge Bar there is a Coffee Drink menu with $4.50 and $5.50 choices, delicious. (Be aware that Coffee/Chocolate Shop on Deck 6 is not part of Easy Package.) Easy Package also includes juices and bottled water.