Using local taxis in the Caribbean

CABINET

I hold my hand up having agreed to go on a Caribbean cruise that took my OH's fancy without doing any research.

We go next week and I have just discovered that you don't just waltz off the QM2 and wander along to a beach within walking distance - what a twit!

It appears that decent beaches, or any beaches, require you to get a taxi, possibly for a journey of up to 30 minutes. 

Could I ask for people's experiences in these situations?  Are the taxi drivers mostly honest or are there any pitfalls to beware of?

I still have unpleasant memories of getting into a taxi at Lisbon, asking to be driven into the centre of town, and then being given the hard sell to take "a tour of the best sights" instead.  The driver was very forceful and I honestly wondered what we would do if he didn't take no for an answer.  Fortunately he did eventually but it has rather put me off I'm afraid.

The islands we are visiting are Tortola, Dominica, Barbados, St Lucia and St Kitts.

Edited by CABINET

Some of the Islands have a taxi booth with prices on when you disembark.

Just make sure if no prices are available that you ask before you get into the taxi. We find that most of them will bring you back to the ship if you ask, they just want to know at what time.

All our cruises we take a taxi and we have only been left at a beach once and then another taxi came and we jumped in that, just make sure you leave plenty of time to get back to the ship.

Thanks Leesre.

I have to say that I don't feel easy when I can't get back to the ship by walking. 

We sometimes use the ship's excursions so that we don't have to worry but they are expensive and, on this particular cruise, none really appeal.

37 minutes ago, CABINET said:

Thanks Leesre.

I have to say that I don't feel easy when I can't get back to the ship by walking. 

We sometimes use the ship's excursions so that we don't have to worry but they are expensive and, on this particular cruise, none really appeal.

Best idea is to:

a) Do some research for each island to choose your beach.

b) Take a taxi rather than ships tour - saving money, picking you time, as well as beach.

c) Consider sharing taxi with others you may have met on cruise.

Caribbean taxi drivers on the whole have always struck us as reliable and knowledgeable.

My OH has been doing a bit of beach research which is how I discovered that it isn't quite as simple as I thought.

Good to know that the taxi drivers will hopefully be more accommodating that the guy in Lisbon.

Many thanks.

In Barbados, there is a very pleasant beach within walking distance (perhaps 25 minutes?) from the ship.  You will exit through the cruise terminal, turn left, and walk towards the town.  It is on your right just before the downtown area.

I would recommend reading the Ports of Call section in CC, under Caribbean, for each of your ports, for much more information.

Please excuse my bold type.  I could not get it to stop.

On 11/11/2019 at 3:40 PM, CABINET said:

I hold my hand up having agreed to go on a Caribbean cruise that took my OH's fancy without doing any research.

We go next week and I have just discovered that you don't just waltz off the QM2 and wander along to a beach within walking distance - what a twit!

The islands we are visiting are Tortola, Dominica, Barbados, St Lucia and St Kitts.

Tortola - Get a taxi to Brewers Bay...

1669914257_BrewersBayatHighTide.thumb.jpg.2febc9aa7b645d6af4bb4abe09b0d691.jpg

...and arrange payment on the return journey. The view on return will be worth at least half the taxi fare...

2104564652_RoadTownPanoramic1.thumb.jpg.effc3d287133c689b8f470f39b85aeac.jpg

Barbados:

We walk to The lobster Alive Restaurant, which offers customers not only fine food, but also the use of some pretty classy sunbed shades…

2107175451_LobsterAliveRestaurantsunbedsatCarlisleBay.jpg.9f62c58fd5e89b63ea70c023742cbacc.jpg

It's right next door to the more famous 'Boatyard' but definitely a Cunarder's style of beach environment.

St Lucia: Depends really if you've been before. A good option is to book one of the ship's excursions on a Catamaran. You'll get to swim and to see Marigot Bay in a bit of style and under a haze of Rum Punch...

643645195_MarigotBaylookingout.thumb.jpg.3c3fdfc0714786ad6fd46aafa29f8a58.jpg

St Kitts: Well I went for the cultural thing and a good photo opportunity at Brimstone Hill Fortress ...

1243797342_BrimstoneHillFortressview4Richard.thumb.jpg.e033ff2e3872a1ecb3759eb37d099150.jpg

...and finally Dominica...

Can't remember too much...

2094875351_DominicaPaulandRichard.thumb.jpg.12c7c997b6bbd42cb4af20559f140106.jpg

...cos I took Bell Boy on a bit of a bar crawl...

1784127654_CocoricoBarandCafe.thumb.JPG.abc11f869a01c5c4408d41a1b9b41acb.JPG

Bon Voyage Cabinet.

Edited by Solent Richard