Regent Executive Vans for Excursions

luvtosing

Has anyone rented the full or half day executive vans through Regent?  Any thoughts about the quality and the ability to really customize your trip and avoid crowds?  According to customer service, all arrangements are made onboard and you talk to your driver for the first time when you meet them for the actual trip.  Would appreciate any feedback or thoughts, am considering this for St. Petersburg.   

There are wonderful private tours and tour guides available for less money from private companies.  I'm sure you will get some answers in the next day or two from satisfied clients.  You mention St Pete and I know there are some good companies there.

1 hour ago, 1982CruzStart said:

If you have large OBC make sure whether some of it is refundable or all nonrefundable.  You may be able to cash out some of it so don't waste it if you don't need to.  

How can you tell if it is refundable or non-refundable?  Thank you in advance for any advice.

I’ve done privates both thru Regent and on my own but not in No or Australia.  Regent is always more expensive, sometimes significantly.  

The pros to a Regent private

• The guides are outstanding.  
  • The drop off pick up at the gangway is super nice
  • If you want something really off the beaten path that requires advance booking, it can’t be done. 
  • You get “the ship won’t leave without you” guarantee.   

Thanks for the question, we're newbies both to cruising as well as to this site.  I was wondering the same thing.  I think in Saint Petersburg we have to go through customs when we get off the boat.  Will the vans still pick us up at the gangway?

Jan

20 hours ago, AuntyJan said:

Thanks for the question, we're newbies both to cruising as well as to this site.  I was wondering the same thing.  I think in Saint Petersburg we have to go through customs when we get off the boat.  Will the vans still pick us up at the gangway?

Jan

It depends where you dock, but usually you walk down the gangway to the passport control office (a few hundred yards, maybe) and go through the ID checks where they issue you a ship pass/visa/whatever document and on the other side of the turnstiles is the van/bus pickup.

We've been there twice and we always had a short walk to passport control, the transportation has never been at the gangway for us.

On 11/13/2019 at 9:54 PM, IndiTravler said:

I’ve done privates both thru Regent and on my own but not in No or Australia.  Regent is always more expensive, sometimes significantly.  

The pros to a Regent private

• The guides are outstanding.  
  • The drop off pick up at the gangway is super nice
  • If you want something really off the beaten path that requires advance booking, it can’t be done. 
  • You get “the ship won’t leave without you” guarantee.   

We booked all our excursions before we received a large OBC. Can you book the private car while onboard or does it have to be done before sailing? Do you have to tell your driver/guide what you want to do or will they just recommend locations to see?

2 hours ago, landingsduffer said:

We booked all our excursions before we received a large OBC. Can you book the private car while onboard or does it have to be done before sailing? Do you have to tell your driver/guide what you want to do or will they just recommend locations to see?

You can can do it before. It’s always offered in the excursion list. And you can do it on board.   I’ve always come with the list of things we want to see.   Then I work with destinations when on board to get the right guide (lots of knowledge of history) and confirm everything.