Gibbs lighthouse and horse shoe beach

redwave

1 hour ago, redwave said:

What's an easier walk, less inclines etc Gibbs light house to horse shoe bay beach or visa versa? Ty

I answered over on the NCL board, but I'll repeat it here...if you're asking about walking from one to the other, don't do it. There are no sidewalks, often even no shoulders, South Road road is narrow and has heavy traffic. It's unsafe to walk.

That aside, without knowing how you're getting to the first destination and what transportation you're using to leave the second destination the question is unanswerable. There are hills involved at both. and if you're taking a public bus you're going to have to walk up and down at both because the bus just stops on South Road so you have to walk up and down both hills in some order. If you were taking a taxi or shuttle it's a different story.

We walked from Gibbs in October about 10am but got lost along the way...ended up cutting through the golf course at Fairmont then found the front hotel entrance and a taxi driver told us to take the shuttle to HSB even though we told him we were not guests of the hotel. 

The roads had no sidewalks or shoulders...nor street markings...would not do it again.  

The lighthouse is worth a visit but very narrow at the top and because of the open railing pattern outside vs a solid wall we felt too scared to walk outside to see the view...we just poked our head out took a photo or two and left.  You can also climb up inside to the glass windows but it is very tight. 

I missed the Horseshoe bus stop once and started walking back from the next stop. Big mistake. In addition to no sidewalks and shoulder the land alongside is uneven and overgrown. You can’t walk on that. So you have to walk in the road. Traffic there does not expect anyone to be walking in the road. And the road is not straight and flat. The road is winding  and there are short curves. So you can’t see traffic coming In advance and they can’t see you in advance. Scary. 

• 3 weeks later...

I agree don't walk between them, no sidewalk, dangerous.... I just climbed the Lighthouse and did the Horseshoe Beach to Warwick Long Beach walk last week - flew there not cruise. Take the bus between.

If you ask the bus driver where to get off and sit near the front I've always had them let me know when the stop was coming up.

Edited by twins_to_alaska

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, cruisingbooboo said:

So are you able to take a bus to the lighthouse? Then catch another bus to go back or to another stop? I’d like to have a drink at the Fairmont after the lighthouse. Is the lighthouse near Horseshoe? No, I’m not considering walking, just trying to plan out the day.

thanks

You can take the bus. The bus stops are not at the lighthouse though. Most likely you would want to take the #7 route on the South Road.  But you could also take the #8 which runs on the Middle Road. There are multiple bus stops between the Dockyard and Hamilton on either route. For the Gibbs you get off at Lighthouse Road and walk about a quarter of a mile from the stop on either the South or Middle Road. It is a pretty safe walk on Lighthouse RD. Not much traffic. Gibbs is between the South Road and Middle Road. Ask the bus driver to tell you when to get off for Gibbs. When you catch the bus again after visiting Gibbs look for a blue or pink pole. A pink pole means buses are headed in the direction of Hamilton, a blue pole in the direction of the Dockyard. Horseshoe is not far on the South Road in the direction of Hamilton. 

Edited by Charles4515