Open seating with food allergy question

cruzn single

Since I have developed a shellfish allergy I have always had fixed seating.  It has been easy to handle with ordering dinner in MDR the previous evening.  On my cruise in April I have open seating, but thinking this might not be a good with a good allergy.  

Does anyone know how this is handled in open seating?

1 hour ago, cruzn single said:

Since I have developed a shellfish allergy I have always had fixed seating.  It has been easy to handle with ordering dinner in MDR the previous evening.  On my cruise in April I have open seating, but thinking this might not be a good with a good allergy.  

Does anyone know how this is handled in open seating?

When you go to the MDR to be seated, they ask your cabin number. So the meal you ordered the previous evening should find you. And someone should get to your table during that dinner to help you order the next night's dinner. It's easier with fixed dining, but they know how to make it work for open seating. It wouldn't hurt to mention it to the person at the podium who assigns your table. And if nobody shows up to do the next night's order, ask at the podium on the way out. 

We were on our first Holland cruise (Oosterdam) "Greek Odyssey" summer before last and of course when we booked we let TA know that our daughter had a severe tree nut allergy.  With kids we prefer open seating in case it took longer to get ready or we were out in port later.  When we got on the ship we grabbed the daily activity sheet and there was a time scheduled to meet the Maitre'd/Dining Room manager in one of the lounges.  My daughter and I went to make sure we were all on the same page and knew what to expect.  The gentleman had a list already with her name and the specific allergy on it.  He gave her a menu and asked her to pick what she wanted to eat that evening.  Every evening prior to leaving dinner he would come by and give her a menu to select the next day meals.  As we "checked in" and gave them our room number they highlighted food allergy "tree nuts".  We never had an issue whatsoever.  They would even point out if I ordered a salad that had nuts as they gave it to me 🙂

They even made her a special bread basket each evening.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, mommyz said:

We were on our first Holland cruise (Oosterdam) "Greek Odyssey" summer before last and of course when we booked we let TA know that our daughter had a severe tree nut allergy.  With kids we prefer open seating in case it took longer to get ready or we were out in port later.  When we got on the ship we grabbed the daily activity sheet and there was a time scheduled to meet the Maitre'd/Dining Room manager in one of the lounges.  My daughter and I went to make sure we were all on the same page and knew what to expect.  The gentleman had a list already with her name and the specific allergy on it.  He gave her a menu and asked her to pick what she wanted to eat that evening.  Every evening prior to leaving dinner he would come by and give her a menu to select the next day meals.  As we "checked in" and gave them our room number they highlighted food allergy "tree nuts".  We never had an issue whatsoever.  They would even point out if I ordered a salad that had nuts as they gave it to me 🙂

They even made her a special bread basket each evening.

That's pretty much what I saw happen on the open seating of Nieuw Statendam last month. One of our table mates didn't order, but they brought her the next night's menu to choose. Her meal (chosen the day before) arrived at the same time as ours.

Thank you, everyone for the reassurances.  Guess I will keep open seating.  I really didn’t care for late seating on the Zuiderdam.   Missed shows, some Lincoln Center performances, and other evening things I would have enjoyed.  Late seating just becomes an awkward time.

Again, thank you.