Wind Star delay

mariners

I'm hoping that there are other posters on this board who have been in touch with passengers currently on what was supposed to be the Wind Star transAtlantic.  After having a problem with an engine, the ship has been in Madeira for the past five days and the hope was that the repair would be completed and they would be sailing today.  Our friends told us they would be back in touch today, but I haven't heard from them.  I know the internet hasn't been working.  We did get a chance to speak by phone yesterday; a big thank you to the individual on the bridge who was able to pass on our message.  

Our friends stated that they continue to be given the Windstar experience despite the changes in plans, and are glad that they chose to stay onboard.  Passengers were given the choice of staying on the ship or  passengers could choose to fly home.  I'm not sure if there were other choices.  It was hoped that the ship would now arrive in St. Maarten on the 29th.  

Does anyone have any updates?

Marine traffic is also showing the ship at anchor.  I think the Wind Star was docked before so it's possible that they have all the equipment and personnel onboard and will be completing the repairs while at anchor.  The unfortunate thing is that the repairs don't appear to be completed and they are not on their way (although I love Madeira and would happily spend time on the Wind Star while visiting the island).  

My wife and I returned to Toronto Sunday night. The offer Windstar made to return home was too good to turn down.( 100% fare returned, 50% future cruise credit and flight home). If we would have stayed until St Martin it wasn't nearly as good an offer for us.Windstar was doing everything they could and were wonderful in fulfilling our request to leave.During a meeting with the passengers the captain asked for a show of hands as to who planned to leave. It appears that 3/4 of passengers were choosing to remain. That was during a Saturday meeting.During that meeting they were aiming to hopefully continue on the voyage by Tuesday evening. That may have changed by now.

Thanks for the links dandee2.  It almost makes me feel like I am there with them.

Bossko, I have just heard that the crossing with passengers has been cancelled.  The ship will still make the crossing (not sure of the date unsure), but it will be crew and staff only.  Arrangements are being made for all of the passengers to be flown home.

Thanks for that info Mariners.I have to admit that I felt a little sad a tinge of guilt leaving the others behind. Rats deserting a sinking ship so to speak. This will surely cost Windstar big time,but imagine if it was a ship carrying 4000 people. That would be a logistic nightmare. I would imagine Windstar will fall back on insurance to cover this unfortunate event.

12 minutes ago, milepig said:

And depending on how far behind this puts them this will affect downstream itins as well. Next up is Philipsburg to Colon on the 26th. 

That itinerary will have to be cancelled.  No way the Wind Star can make it to Philipsburg by the 26th.  Hopefully, they can make it to Colon by 12/7.

I know Windstar kept our friends in the loop and allowed passengers to make choices that worked best for them.  Under the circumstances, I don't think Windstar could do anything more.  

Bossko, I appreciate you writing about your experience as it reflects the Windstar that we know.

One reason we love the trans-Atlantic crossings is that most passengers are laid back, roll with the punches - rough seas, rain, windstorms, blown out sails ... - and make the best of whatever comes along.  Another reason we love the trans-Atlantics is the phenomenal staff and crew on the ships.  We, unfortunately, had to cancel this cruise at the last minute but, even knowing what has happened on the sailing, we still wish we had been onboard.  

Wishing all those affected, safe travels home.  For all our friends/acquaintances onboard, we'll see you on another crossing in the future.

One reason that she might be docked is that some passengers were leaving and flying home today.  I don't know what, if any specific, date passengers were told that they had to disembark.  

Even if she is sailing without passengers, I'm sure supplies for the crossing will be needed.  

I have no doubt this will be a difficult time for passengers who are watching their upcoming sailings in hopes that they will get to be onboard.  Looking at the time it will take to make the crossing, the December 7th sailing would be the earliest that the ship could be across the ocean and ready to have passengers.  

Lvwindstar, I hope your TA is right and you have a fabulous sailing. 

We were all booked and awaiting our 3rd Windstar cruise departing from St. Maarten next Tuesday the 26th. As disappointed as we feel, we are lucky we deal with a cruise line that acts proactively. 

We have been told we will be reimbursed fully, for all hotels, flights and shore excursions. Boy, am I glad we booked everything through Windstar this time! We are looking forward to our next cruise which is being offered to us free. 

We will continue to travel with Windstar!

• Like 1

On 11/23/2019 at 9:58 AM, Oliviaportrush said:

windstar is sailing now from Funchal we did the crossing in March and we enjoyed it but we are switching back to Legend for our next crossing in feb 2020

I wonder if she can make it to Colon by the 7th.  That's only 14 days and it is much farther than St. Martin.  Maybe with a lighter load, she can sail faster.

ridethetide, I can't answer the question for sure but on our first Windstar TA, we sailed from Madeira (which is closer to the Caribbean than Lisbon).  We arrived in the Caribbean a full day, maybe even a bit more, ahead of schedule.  On most of our sailings, we arrived early.  I think Windstar probably allowed extra time just in case there was an issue with speed/weather/etc.  I hope that holds true for the sailing from Colon, too.

Oliviaportrush, I hope you post when you are on the Legend.  

dandee2, I spoke with our friends who had been on the Wind Star and they had nothing but positive comments about their experience and how it was handled.  They gave the highest accolades to the Captain onboard.  I agree with you; well done, WS! 

Edited by mariners

19 hours ago, Chipshot from Michigan said:

Hope the Wind Surf refurb goes smoothly.

i think we all do, I think there is another thread about the Surf. This one is about the Star’s engine problems and subsequent delays. 

Edited by milepig