Type 2

camper49

19 hours ago, leaveitallbehind said:

That is a very manageable number and is essentially borderline diabetic as 6.5 is typically considered pre-diabetic.  Good diet and exercise should have very positive impact on managing this.  Sounds like it was diagnosed early, which is good!

Good point.  A significant reason for the increase in type 2 diagnoses is reductions in theva1c benchmarks for pre-diabetes and actual diabetes.  She is starting about where I did, and once my meter taught me what to not eat it was pretty easy to keep it under control.  The resulting weight loss also helped, since my meter taught me to avoid carbs.  

Ask your cruise line or room steward for a Sharps container for your used testing equipment.  The blood testing strip & lancet can't just go in the trash (considered Hazardous Waste on the ship).  

I've now done 2 cruises w/Type 2.  Hardest parts:  choosing foods & getting back to my cabin 1.5 - 2.0 hrs. after dinner to stick my finger/test my blood sugar. 

Testing is really easy; no need to fear it.

OP ... it sounds like you may be somewhat over reacting to the diagnosis of 'type two' .... I'm NOT saying ignore it but to many the word 'diabetes' brings visions of carrying insulin needing to 'shoot up' at any time.  I think maybe your Dr needs to do a lil' more about explaining type 2 diabetes 

I suggest  https://www.healthline.com/health/difference-between-type-1-and-type-2-diabetes#diet as a start

on a personal note I was diagnosed 12 years ago and am well managed (early 60's now).  With ONE pill a day and remembering to go salad or no starch more than B4, my A1C stays at the 5.9 level and morning checks seldom top 120 ..... on a cruise I stay away from breads as my primary change from days of old .....

take a deep breath .... YES this is something to be concerned about and NOT ignored .... but it can also be managed quite effectively and even REVERSED in some cases! <I'm pretty sure if I was strong enuf to lose some weight mine would be GONE>

I'm NOT offering medical advice ..... just relating my experience & suggesting some additional research to understand WHAT the Dr has told you. <a nutritionist may not hit all the bases wrt understanding what's happening in your body>

Your post made me remember my fear after I was diagnosed - testing seemed overwhelming, worry about extreme outcomes like kidney failure, feeling like I shouldn't eat ANYTHING.  

After awhile, it all just becomes normal, instead of the #1 thing you think about.  

When I cruise I welcome the huge amount of choices offered me, and I find it easier to eat healthy on the ship.  I walk so much, that it compensates for a lot of eating!  People on this thread are giving a lot of educated, practical advice.  We are your cheerleaders who have been where you are right now. 

17 hours ago, Relaxedfun said:

Your post made me remember my fear after I was diagnosed - testing seemed overwhelming, worry about extreme outcomes like kidney failure, feeling like I shouldn't eat ANYTHING.  

After awhile, it all just becomes normal, instead of the #1 thing you think about.  

When I cruise I welcome the huge amount of choices offered me, and I find it easier to eat healthy on the ship.  I walk so much, that it compensates for a lot of eating!  People on this thread are giving a lot of educated, practical advice.  We are your cheerleaders who have been where you are right now. 

Thank you! Doing better each day! 

The key in our household was being in touch with your body and listening to it.  It is understanding what works for you and what wont - and this will take a bit of trial and error.  The advice about protein and carbs is great but you also need to read up on GI (glycemic index) as this is really what understanding why carbs can send your levels sky high or not.

T2 Diabetes is not about avoiding anything with carbs or sugar but knowing what impact it has on you and making good decisions.  The 10, 10, 5 rule, reading labels and pay attention to things like hot flushes, general wellness etc after you eat will help you navigate the way forward.  Also don't think that artificial sweetener is a cure all - in fact for some diabetics it is worse for them than sugar.  

Keto seems to be the diet de jour at the moment and this fits well for T2's so you won't look out of place.  While you may not be able to eat and drink without any thought, just a little analysis will mean you will have a great trip!    

I skimmed over this thread, and there's one thing no one mentioned so far: Talk to the cruise line's Special Needs Department.  A medical condition may or may not be a disability, but it's a special need.  That's what the department is there for.

Talk to them, and see what they can do to make things easier for you.  Many cruise foods are high in carbohydrates, so the chef will arrange for some of your MDR dishes to be cooked differently.  Even if he can't do that, your waiter will give you a verbal walkthrough on the safer options to order.  (For example, pot roast with vegetables, rather than chicken florentine pasta.)  In the buffet, you'll have to self-manage, obviously, but that should be increasingly easy, as controlling your diabetes becomes a routine.