Helicopter glacier tour in Juneau

con3

Hello, 
I will be going on a Celebrity Alaska cruise tour next May. We are interested in doing a helicopter tour with glacier landing in Juneau. Was wondering if any of you have booked with a company on your own that you really liked? Would love any info. Thanks!!

Connie

I believe there are only 3 vendors in Juneau for a glacier landing ;  ERA, Northstar Trekking, and Coastal Helicopters. 

Their web sites are listed in the town Visitor Guide attached below, in the Business Directory.  Check with each of them for details, like the length of the tour, how much time in the air, how much time on the glacier, if special clothing/footwear is provided, cancellation policy, etc. 

http://viewer.zmags.com/publication/10785063#/10785063/1

Also, use the search function.  Search on ' helicopter' in this forum to find many past threads.

p.s.  Black Friday and Cyber Monday are coming up.  Check their web sites for specials.

Edited by mapleleaves

In June 2014, I used Coastal Helicopters for an extended tour, Sled dog and Glacier Landing & would highly recommend them. Best to book earlier in the day as weather can change rapidly and later tours are often cancelled.

Coastal operates a classy and safe experience:

https://www.coastalhelicopters.com/

Just did another Alaska cruise on the Eclipse this past August but decided against doing another helicopter tour - enjoy your cruise and good luck with planning.

We also used Coastal Helicopters in Juneau. We had a 100% excellent experience. We rented a car for the day so we drove to the Juneau airport instead of using Coastal's shuttle - we were wanting to also visit Mendenhall Glacier which is just a little further past the airport which saved us a lot of time.  The people at Coastal were very nice and the pilot was great.  I've flown in helicopters quite a few times and this pilot was very smooth - no showing off, steady and safe.  If someone was nervous about flying in a helicopter, they wouldn't have had a problem with our guy.  While on the glacier we didn't feel rushed and were able to take plenty of pictures.  I'd absolutely use them again!  I would book as early as you can because they often sell out.  Enjoy your trip!

Coastal_01.jpg

Coastal_02.jpg

My son and husband want to do the Extended Glacier Trek in Juneau which says three hours of hiking on the glacier. Has anyone done this recently? Just want to make sure they wouldn't be better off with the two hour one. They did the one hour hike last time and want a bigger challenge.  Princess used NorthStar trekking last time. 

On 11/30/2019 at 11:28 AM, rocklinmom said:

My son and husband want to do the Extended Glacier Trek in Juneau which says three hours of hiking on the glacier. Has anyone done this recently? Just want to make sure they wouldn't be better off with the two hour one. They did the one hour hike last time and want a bigger challenge.  Princess used NorthStar trekking last time. 

Based on my research the biggest difference between the Extended Trekking and standard Trekking was the Extended Trekking adds an Ice Wall climbing experience with no prior rock or ice climbing experience needed.  The climb will be on a 40 feet ice wall with plenty of safety harnesses and ropes.  

See if that is something they may be interested in. 

Edited by Cruising Latitude
  • Like 1

On 11/21/2019 at 2:53 PM, con3 said:

Hello, 
I will be going on a Celebrity Alaska cruise tour next May. We are interested in doing a helicopter tour with glacier landing in Juneau. Was wondering if any of you have booked with a company on your own that you really liked? Would love any info. Thanks!!

Connie

I have used Coastal helicopters three times.  They are great!

23 hours ago, Cruising Latitude said:

Based on my research the biggest difference between the Extended Trekking and standard Trekking was the Extended Trekking adds an Ice Wall climbing experience with no prior rock or ice climbing experience needed.  The climb will be on a 40 feet ice wall with plenty of safety harnesses and ropes.  

See if that is something they may be interested in. 

Oh they would like that! Thank you for the info 🙂

• Like 1