Transportation from Rome cruise port to center of Rome

Michael50

Hi Helene,

Wow, you're even less-prepared than I usually am !!

By road, if you're too late to pre-book a priced transfer you'll be at the mercy of the liveried taxis at the port. $$$$$$

So probably the train.

But don't be in a rush to get off the ship because there'll be hundreds of cruisers from other ships using the trains on their port-of-call visit, so trains to Rome before about 9am will be packed - no fun with luggage.:classic_ohmy:

Free shuttle from ship to  port gate.

Payable (€2) bus from port gate to Civitavecchia train station.

Buy train ticket to Roma San Pietro. Check train times in advance on the Trenitalia website - with luggage the express train is worth the extra cost if one is suitably-timed and stops at San Pietro. Perhaps even pre-book it. 

Journey time just short of an hour.

Validate your ticket at Civi station.

There's no metro station handy to your hotel (just south of Piazza Navona), so simplest to take a taxi from San Pietro station - about 1.5miles / 10 minutes.

Be aware that the driver will probably seek more than the price on the meter. Because you have luggage. Because you don't have luggage. Because it's a tuesday. Because it's after 11am. Because there's a "B" in the month. Because you are breathing. :classic_rolleyes: . If so, that's his tip. :classic_tongue:

JB :classic_smile:

Edited by John Bull

41 minutes ago, Michael50 said:

Hi everyone, we are currently on a Viking cruise, will be docking in Rome, we need to get to a Hotel Damaso, any help would be appreciated 

thanks

Helene

You may want to look at a map. The "docking" for Rome is in the port city of Civitavecchia, which is 50 miles away. 

In any case, contact the hotel concierge who can arrange a private transfer -minimally ship to hotel- at a price that will probably be less than DIY with services you find on the Internet.

If you are finishing your cruise there and plan to stay a few days, that same Concierge can also arrange for a licensed guide (in addition to the driver) on those days when you want to visit certain attractions/antiquities where using a guide is the best way to do it (e.g., the Vatican).

As for using the train: IMO, don't be "pennywise and pound foolish." 

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

3 hours ago, Michael50 said:

Hi everyone, we are currently on a Viking cruise, will be docking in Rome, we need to get to a Hotel Damaso, any help would be appreciated 

thanks

Helene

Try Bob's Limo, we have used them several times and they are great. Ship to Rome center is well under $100.00 for 2 in a shared van. 

4 hours ago, taglovestocruise said:

Try Bob's Limo, we have used them several times and they are great. Ship to Rome center is well under $100.00 for 2 in a shared van. 

As I said in my prior post, contact the hotel concierge. For roughly the same price as a shared van, you can get a private transfer.

9 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

As I said in my prior post, contact the hotel concierge. For roughly the same price as a shared van, you can get a private transfer.

Not most hotels I've stayed at. Generally they charge significantly more for a private transfer (120 euro total, give or take), whereas you can find a shared shuttle for two people for 70 euros, give or take).

Curious what hotel you've stayed at that offers a private transfer for two for 70 euro?

1 hour ago, cruisemom42 said:

Not most hotels I've stayed at. Generally they charge significantly more for a private transfer (120 euro total, give or take), whereas you can find a shared shuttle for two people for 70 euros, give or take).

Curious what hotel you've stayed at that offers a private transfer for two for 70 euro?

In Rome post-cruise, we stay at a very small well-respected property (only four suites) close to the Spanish Steps. In the past, the manager has arranged a driver with a Mercedes AMG E55 sedan to, minimally, do a private ship to hotel transfer on arrival and hotel to airport transfer on departure for approx 150 euros total for the combo. If we also use the driver during the stay, the overall deal is sweetened by a reduced hourly rate. We've also arranged an excellent licensed private guide through that manager at a very reasonable cost.  .

Pardon my reluctance to name the hotel. Because of its small size and reputation, it often books full at least a year in advance and I don't need any possible competition for a reservation.

BTW, since we last did this in the latter half of 2018, I assume the price may have increased slightly in 2019. But, even if it started to approach 200 Euros for the private combo transfers in 2020, it would be worth it to not have to cram into some shared van with the potential for multiple stops enroute.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

44 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

But, even if it started to approach 200 Euros for the private combo transfers in 2020, it would be worth it to not have to cram into some shared van with the potential for multiple stops enroute.

To you. Perhaps not to others.... 

And as you have confirmed, your original post saying the cost was close to the same is not true -- it's close to double.

Edited by cruisemom42