Repetitive Entertainment

Eglesbrech

I saw a comedian (Micky Zany) on Aurora last week who was new to me and enjoyed his act. It was nice to see something new for a change.

The other turn ”Adele” is good but as I seen her several times before so we did not go this time, she has been on our last 3 cruises as well.

The headliners did a new show “Horizen” but the rest were repeats (and some have been on for years).

It must be hard for the ships to keep things completely  fresh but there are so many entertainers out there that they should be able to find something new. We have seen (or with some cases avoided) the same old acts time and time again.

Is it just me and we are unlucky to see the same things time and time again or do they only actually contract a very limited pool of entertainers?

Possibly a mixture of the two; probably a function of being a *multiple cruiser*

If you cruised once a year, or less, chances of a “repeat” would be much slimmer than if you took three.

I’ve seen, or had the opportunity to see, Mickey Zany, several times.  Adele never.  Used to always have Freddie Mercury - no longer.  Loved Annie Lennox - haven’t seen her for ages.  Etc etc.  Seen some new ones.  Ukebox were fun (though I suspect would get repetitive.  Last time a 3 man ‘Jersey Boys-alike’ Boom Boys or something like that?  Very good

its all down to personal taste though.  Whether you like an act or not; whether you’re happy to see an act for a second or third (or more) time

Generally, I think the choice of entertainment is pretty good.  You’re never going to please everybody

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

I saw a comedian (Micky Zany) on Aurora last week who was new to me and enjoyed his act. It was nice to see something new for a change.

The other turn ”Adele” is good but as I seen her several times before so we did not go this time, she has been on our last 3 cruises as well.

The headliners did a new show “Horizen” but the rest were repeats (and some have been on for years).

It must be hard for the ships to keep things completely  fresh but there are so many entertainers out there that they should be able to find something new. We have seen (or with some cases avoided) the same old acts time and time again.

Is it just me and we are unlucky to see the same things time and time again or do they only actually contract a very limited pool of entertainers?

Sorry it’s your own fault, you clearly cruise far too much. Unlike me who cruises far too little.

😎 😎

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

When we were on Azura recently there were 2 or 3 new Headliner shows.  I do like Reel to Reel, but having seen it for 10 years now, I feel that some the material could do with being updated, but the overall concept retained.

There was a Freddy Mercury act. Though not Steve Larkins.  Still very enjoyable though.

17 minutes ago, stocktonmackem said:

I haven't really got a problem seeing the same acts but I wish they would change their material. It's the same old everytime. x

I would agree, the same people would be fine if it was not almost word for word the same act.

I forgot to add that we also saw the 3 tones who were very good and I would happily listen to them again as they did an eclectic mix.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, stocktonmackem said:

I haven't really got a problem seeing the same acts but I wish they would change their material. It's the same old everytime. x

We saw Roy Walker on Azura in the Caribbean a couple of years ago. His material was the same as I could remember from “The Comedians” back on 70’s tv.

• Like 1

I agree I'm afraid.  Same comedians that I have seen many times doing the same material.  Personally I don't like tribute acts, would rather they did their own thing rather than try and impersonate someone else.  Also, I wish the Acts didn't show film of when they were on Britain's Got Talent umpteen years ago.  Why would I want to know that?

We had a month on Aurora in September and were really disappointed to find that almost all of the entertainers had been on when we did the 2017 world cruise.  I asked the Ents Manager about it and he said customers like to see familiar acts and that it is difficult to find suitable entertainers.  We asked if we were likely to see the same acts when we next cruise in January and he said yes we were!

I do think that between 2017 and 2020 it  can't be that difficult to find new people, I'm sure up and coming entertainers would jump at the chance.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

I agree I'm afraid.  Same comedians that I have seen many times doing the same material.  Personally I don't like tribute acts, would rather they did their own thing rather than try and impersonate someone else.  Also, I wish the Acts didn't show film of when they were on Britain's Got Talent umpteen years ago.  Why would I want to know that?

I'm with you Jean but Tribute Acts do still seem very popular around the country as a whole.

1 minute ago, Waju said:

We had a month on Aurora in September and were really disappointed to find that almost all of the entertainers had been on when we did the 2017 world cruise.  I asked the Ents Manager about it and he said customers like to see familiar acts and that it is difficult to find suitable entertainers.  We asked if we were likely to see the same acts when we next cruise in January and he said yes we were!

I do think that between 2017 and 2020 it  can't be that difficult to find new people, I'm sure up and coming entertainers would jump at the chance.

I suppose its the age-old thing that we all like different things.  I was on Oriana or Aurora once and there was a Canadian/American comedy-magician.  A few of us thought he was hilarious but many on-board were complaining how dreadful he was...

Although very repetitive cruise lines like RCI and NCL that show a cut down show (90 minutes) of popular West End musicals, do hold more appeal to me than the typical 45 minute headliner shows that P&O have, especially the newer ones we have watched.

On Independence of the seas this summer the 2 showings of Grease played to a packed out theatre on both occasions, and, although we have seen the film several times, we thoroughly enjoyed it if only for the fantastic musical numbers.

I think the newer ships have the best entertainment and I love the Limelight on Britannia although that is a paying venue.  However we saw very good acts in the theatre too on the only cruise we've done on Britannia. I think it gets the best acts as the flagship (for now!!)  Ive always found the entertainment pretty good on Ventura and Azura but the worst entertainment IMO is on the ships that do one-off itineraries. The worst we've had on any ship was last year on Aurora to the USA and Canada. I know there were lots of complaints about the South America itinerary on Aurora too. 

I don't enjoy many of the comedians but otherwise I'm happy to listen to any singer / band  in any style, tribute or otherwise if they've got a decent voice. On Celebrity recently we had a silent disco and also an Abba night in the dance lounge and they were both HUGELY popular.  

Have seen the Bass tones a couple of times and would happily watch them every cruise but apart from that, we have been quite lucky in seeing different acts each time, some good, some not so good. 

Annie Lennox was on Oceana recently, really good but doubt we would bother again. 

And how long can Astonishing be sold as a brand new show... 

Andy 

19 minutes ago, funinhounslow said:

Runaround Boys maybe? If so, agreed they are excellent...

We have seen these twice, same spiel between songs, but not identical songs, however totally different singers. I assume these and similar acts are operated in the way as the many Drifters acts.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

Although very repetitive cruise lines like RCI and NCL that show a cut down show (90 minutes) of popular West End musicals, do hold more appeal to me than the typical 45 minute headliner shows that P&O have, especially the newer ones we have watched.

On Independence of the seas this summer the 2 showings of Grease played to a packed out theatre on both occasions, and, although we have seen the film several times, we thoroughly enjoyed it if only for the fantastic musical numbers.

I would agree, the stage shows are excellent and I could watch them several times. We loved We Will Rock You for example.

1 hour ago, funinhounslow said:

Runaround Boys maybe? If so, agreed they are excellent...

Thanks for trying to help my memory!

No, it wasn’t them

Somebody mentioned Bass Tones earlier - Bass Boys maybe?  Two single syllable words.  Very much Jersey Boys influenced with the smallest one doing a good Frankie Valli

Whatever their name they were very enjoyable!

15 minutes ago, brillo said:

Now that's what they need the Drifters !

I am harking back several decades but P&O used to have “names” onboard as the main entertainment. People who were on TV or who had been in the charts. Now they only provide people with this kind of profile in payed for venues like Limelight.

That said I am be perfectly happy to see new unknown talent, there are so many aspiring artists out there they must be able to find something new and innovative.

1 hour ago, eddie11 said:

No, it wasn’t them

Somebody mentioned Bass Tones earlier - Bass Boys maybe?  Two single syllable words.  Very much Jersey Boys influenced with the smallest one doing a good Frankie Valli

Would it be the 4 tunes, we have seen them quite a few times and they are one of the few acts I could go and see every cruise. I think there are 8 of them and tend to swap around. I think the singer you are talking about was actually in the west end doing Jersey Boys at one stage. I still wonder how he could hit those high notes. x

1 hour ago, eddie11 said:

No, it wasn’t them

I think I've seen them too Eddie.  I think it may be The Four Tunes.  I searched for them and they are aboard all P&O's ships next year.  There are actually 13 of them, so obviously they rotate.

20 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

Saw Bernie Flint on Princess a few years ago.Who remembers him.He won opportunity knocks.Most sincerely folks.I think his film would be black and white,lol.He was funny though.