Duty free shop for spirits

PJ's

We are booked to embark Oceana on 2 Feb but are wondering if we will be able to purchase bottles of spirits from the duty free shop as the ship only stays in the EU and does not call at Gibraltar or any other port outside the EU - only Spain & Portugal. They usually have good deals on for bottles of spirits but not sure if this will be possible. Does anyone have any information as to whether there are any shops on the port which will be selling spirits. I think that the last time we visited Lisbon there was a small shopping area which sold alcohol and tobacco. I know you can't take alcohol on the ship to consume but are okay about leaving it in storage until the end of the cruise. 

Yes we have bought spirits in supermarkets in both Spain and France.  Unusual sounding gin and whisky makes, but they were great and quite cheap.

They are not "duty free" but you are allowed (at the moment) any amount of spirits and wine for personaly consumption from the EU

Edited by jeanlyon

Couple of points.

Visited Lisbon this week, the completed new terminal has a quite large "tax free" sales area accessed once you have passed through security.  All of the standard fair appeared to be on offer.

I noticed a couple of interesting points on the prices onboard.  Cigarettes (I am a non smoker but think that I worked this out correctly) were £90.00 for 400 Marlboro on board, there was a "tax free" area once you had passed security in La Palma, 400 Marlboro were 58.00 Euro so somewhere around £48.00.  That makes the ship price almost twice as much!

There was also a Longines watch for sale onboard at £60.00 more than the U.K. rrp!!  I noticed that there are no longer any claims about matching prices etc.  Buyer beware as they say.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PJ's said:

We are booked to embark Oceana on 2 Feb but are wondering if we will be able to purchase bottles of spirits from the duty free shop as the ship only stays in the EU and does not call at Gibraltar or any other port outside the EU - only Spain & Portugal. They usually have good deals on for bottles of spirits but not sure if this will be possible. Does anyone have any information as to whether there are any shops on the port which will be selling spirits. I think that the last time we visited Lisbon there was a small shopping area which sold alcohol and tobacco. I know you can't take alcohol on the ship to consume but are okay about leaving it in storage until the end of the cruise. 

Yes Lisbon now has a large DF shop in the terminal.

You can still by spirits from room service at a reasonable price for in cabin use.

1 hour ago, crompton21 said:

Couple of points.

Visited Lisbon this week, the completed new terminal has a quite large "tax free" sales area accessed once you have passed through security.  All of the standard fair appeared to be on offer.

I noticed a couple of interesting points on the prices onboard.  Cigarettes (I am a non smoker but think that I worked this out correctly) were £90.00 for 400 Marlboro on board, there was a "tax free" area once you had passed security in La Palma, 400 Marlboro were 58.00 Euro so somewhere around £48.00.  That makes the ship price almost twice as much!

There was also a Longines watch for sale onboard at £60.00 more than the U.K. rrp!!  I noticed that there are no longer any claims about matching prices etc.  Buyer beware as they say.

My parents noticed the same regarding prices being considerably higher onboard compared to those ashore. 

4 hours ago, daiB said:

Yes Lisbon now has a large DF shop in the terminal.

You can still by spirits from room service at a reasonable price for in cabin use.

Dai, we had no spirit menu in our cabin on Aurora last week. Now that may just mean there was no menu rather than no availability but I noticed because it is usually there.

As we were in the EU they also added 20% to the goods in the shop which made them a higher price than the average high street prices.

The checks on alcohol were also much more stringent than I have seen before (not that it bothers me as I don’t bring anything on that is not allowed), we were asked to bring out an item we had purchased after the X-ray that was not alcohol for them to check it.

Jean I agree that supermarkets are often cheaper than duty free.

10 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

Dai, we had no spirit menu in our cabin on Aurora last week. Now that may just mean there was no menu rather than no availability but I noticed because it is usually there.

As we were in the EU they also added 20% to the goods in the shop which made them a higher price than the average high street prices.

The checks on alcohol were also much more stringent than I have seen before (not that it bothers me as I don’t bring anything on that is not allowed), we were asked to bring out an item we had purchased after the X-ray that was not alcohol for them to check it.

Was this R922, and because there was no stop in Guernsey planned?  Presumably all drinks also had 20% added as well?

Edited by terrierjohn

16 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Was this R922, and because there was no stop in Guernsey planned?  Presumably all drinks also had 20% added as well?

Holland, Belgium, France only. The 20% was added to shop goods but not to drinks. There were big signs up in all the shops pointing out the additional charge as it was added to the price tag shown on the goods.

1 hour ago, Eglesbrech said:

Holland, Belgium, France only. The 20% was added to shop goods but not to drinks. There were big signs up in all the shops pointing out the additional charge as it was added to the price tag shown on the goods.

Yes, we have been on several cruises where the 20% was added to shop goods but thankfully not to drinks purchased on-board.

Edited by P-L-B

1 hour ago, Eglesbrech said:

Sometimes we fail to find the menu. We never fail to get our booze. Just ring and they will supply.