Change of Ports..Arcadia due to bad weather.

hansol1966

On leaving Åndalsnes yesterday (travelling from Southampton very windy ...next sea day force 9 along Norway’s coast) we were told the weather will continue to be bad or worse if we go to Tromsø as planned so Narvik is our next port of call with Tromso next....basically reversed.  Our Narvik overnight ..two days is now arrive at 0800 Saturday leave 0230 Sunday to Tromsø. Coaches stop at 2100 Saturday. What happens at Tromsø we will wait and see.

10 hours ago, hansol1966 said:

Last 2 1/2 days very rocky onboard...force 9. Åndalsnes a beautiful village/town amazing scenery all around the fjords.

Very jealous. 

I hope the seas calm for you, have a fantastic time. 

Shame about the ports but safety has to come first. 

Andy 

On 11/30/2019 at 11:18 PM, hansol1966 said:

Last 2 1/2 days very rocky onboard...force 9. Åndalsnes a beautiful village/town amazing scenery all around the fjords.

There are some fantastic photos and a video on social media of the snow on the ship and in the ports. I would have enjoyed that, how has the experience been for you?

Thanks

Damian

Edited by DamianG

7 hours ago, DamianG said:

There are some fantastic photos and a video on social media of the snow on the ship and in the ports. I would have enjoyed that, how has the experience been for you?

Thanks

Damian

Where are these, I would love to see them.

Captain is expecting an uncomfortable journey home from Tromso via Stavanger and we have had total cloud cover every night so no sighting of the Northern Lights. Lots of snow though, snowmen sighted on the top deck and an emptied swimming pool being used for the snow that has been cleared.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, pete14 said:

Captain is expecting an uncomfortable journey home from Tromso via Stavanger and we have had total cloud cover every night so no sighting of the Northern Lights. Lots of snow though, snowmen sighted on the top deck and an emptied swimming pool being used for the snow that has been cleared.

Have a safe journey Pete, Hansol and everybody else on board. 

I have read elsewhere that some passengers are flying home to avoid the rough seas? 

If you get a bit tipsy, you rock in the opposite direction to the ship and everything balances out, so enjoy another cocktail but don't spill it😊

Andy 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, AndyMichelle said:

I have read elsewhere that some passengers are flying home to avoid the rough seas? 

If you get a bit tipsy, you rock in the opposite direction to the ship and everything balances out, so enjoy another cocktail but don't spill it😊

Andy 

Yeah,us drunks have built in gyroscopes.In our garden,a plastic chair leg broke and I landed on my backside with a glass of wine and didn't spill a drop,lol.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Andy 

Thanks Andy. I am sad to report the demise of the snowman on deck 9 aft. It would have been something had it survived until we reached Southampton but all good things have to come to an end. I am not yet convinced about your theory so I need to compile more evidence. Hicc?!:;.👍🥺

• Haha 2

36 minutes ago, pete14 said:

Thanks Andy. I am sad to report the demise of the snowman on deck 9 aft. It would have been something had it survived until we reached Southampton but all good things have to come to an end. I am not yet convinced about your theory so I need to compile more evidence. Hicc?!:;.👍🥺

Clearly an in depth study is required. 

Only, how you going to remember what happened so you can record your findings. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The problem is that it has been rough with a fairly high swell since we left Southampton and the forecast for the next few days shows no let up, in fact it is more severe. We have also had 3 days of snow and nobody has seen the Northern Lights due to rain, snow and heavy cloud. However mood on board is surprisingly good because it is nobody’s fault ant the captain has been keeping us well informed

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pete14 said:

Oh believe me Pete, it works... I have had plenty of experience in this field😊

Shame about the snowman, the weather has been nice in here, it would have been great to see a snowman sailing into Southampton.. 

Andy 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, pete14 said:

The problem is that it has been rough with a fairly high swell since we left Southampton and the forecast for the next few days shows no let up, in fact it is more severe. We have also had 3 days of snow and nobody has seen the Northern Lights due to rain, snow and heavy cloud. However mood on board is surprisingly good because it is nobody’s fault ant the captain has been keeping us well informed

Snow cheers people up when you don't have to drive in it... 

Glad spirits on board are good, shame about the Northern Lights, you will have to go to Blackpool 😊

Andy 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, pete14 said:

Did he jump? or was he pushed!

Or did he just melt into the back ground!

Edited by mercury7289
addition
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

My husband and I were on this sailing and flew home from Tromso, along with others. It was our 46th cruise so we’re not new to it at all. It wasn’t a nice experience. It was rough to very rough from the start. No let up at all and difficult to sleep with the constant pitching, rolling and noise. We are glad to be home. Have heard from a friend on board that they now have to miss Stavanger as it’s so bad! Three ports on a 12 night cruise isn’t for us at all! 

No issues with the ship itself and the crew are great but far too rough weather to sail so far North. 

Many people we spoke to were very frightened and wished they could get off, but not everyone could afford the last minute expensive flights from Norway and had to stay. We got home after flying to Oslo then London then Belfast and I’m glad we did.

5 hours ago, reilly1 said:

My husband and I were on this sailing and flew home from Tromso, along with others. It was our 46th cruise so we’re not new to it at all. It wasn’t a nice experience. It was rough to very rough from the start. No let up at all and difficult to sleep with the constant pitching, rolling and noise. We are glad to be home. Have heard from a friend on board that they now have to miss Stavanger as it’s so bad! Three ports on a 12 night cruise isn’t for us at all! 

No issues with the ship itself and the crew are great but far too rough weather to sail so far North. 

Many people we spoke to were very frightened and wished they could get off, but not everyone could afford the last minute expensive flights from Norway and had to stay. We got home after flying to Oslo then London then Belfast and I’m glad we did.

Sorry to hear this, it must have been frightening. 

Glad you are home safely. 

We all have to do what's right for us, but it would have to be one hell of a storm to get me out of the bar... 😊

Andy 

• Like 1

Believe me, we had the Ultimate Drink Package and made good use of it, but really couldn’t stick the unrelenting rolling about. A cruise shouldn’t be an endurance challenge. It should be comfortable. Could hardly walk about and felt like I was levitating off the bed! 

• Like 2

On ‎12‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 5:29 PM, AndyMichelle said:

Snow cheers people up when you don't have to drive in it... 

Glad spirits on board are good, shame about the Northern Lights, you will have to go to Blackpool 😊

Andy 

Don't forget good old Southend.The Southern lights,lol.

• Like 1

the worst itinerary this time of year has to be Iceland.Even without storms the place is cold and wet most of the time.We sailed Marella in Sept.Orkney to Reykevit in the remnants of a hurricane.Circumnavigated Iceland not missing ports but then 2 sea days to Dublin in a force 10.That section is unavoidable,it's keep going or sink,lol.The worst point when I thought of getting my life jacket was when a glass of wine slid accross the table,emptied over my tux on the way to smashing on the floor.What kept my sanity was the fact we were AI and I'd bunged the barman a fiver,so got an immediate refill and a towel.

• Like 1