Booking 3 rooms - Age Question

DoubleGG

Hey all, got a strange one for you.  I have been on 9 RCCL cruises but have a unique booking question.  My Family is looking to book another sailing and we are running into issues with cabin availability for 5 pax (2 rooms) on many sailings that work for our schedule.  In finding some, the prices are insane.  We've always booked 2 rooms-- 1 adult in each and play the room key shuffle --  and now noticed we can book 3 double occupancy for far less than 2 rooms (for 5 pax).  

Kids are 19,18 & 11.  Assuming we invite one of the older kid's friends, how would we go about book 3 cabins without having a 21+ pax booked in each room?  Someone mentioned sailing out of San Juan would have different age rules but that didn't sound correct to me.  Any advice for this seasoned cruiser who is stumped?

Just now, sara mom said:

We travel with our 2 teenagers.  We have a Jr Suite or balcony room and they have the interior directly across from us.  No problems.  They can also have the cabin right next door.

I get the rules for that and have used that in the past.  For our sailings, doing that would be roughly 8k for 5pax in 2 insides.  We can book 3 balconies for 6k hence the question about ages. 

8 minutes ago, DoubleGG said:

Hey all, got a strange one for you.  I have been on 9 RCCL cruises but have a unique booking question.  My Family is looking to book another sailing and we are running into issues with cabin availability for 5 pax (2 rooms) on many sailings that work for our schedule.  In finding some, the prices are insane.  We've always booked 2 rooms-- 1 adult in each and play the room key shuffle --  and now noticed we can book 3 double occupancy for far less than 2 rooms (for 5 pax).  

Kids are 19,18 & 11.  Assuming we invite one of the older kid's friends, how would we go about book 3 cabins without having a 21+ pax booked in each room?  Someone mentioned sailing out of San Juan would have different age rules but that didn't sound correct to me.  Any advice for this seasoned cruiser who is stumped?

If you call Royal (or your travel agent calls Royal), they will let you book minors in their own stateroom as long as that stateroom is next to or across the hall from the responsible adult.

1 minute ago, Host Clarea said:

If you call Royal (or your travel agent calls Royal), they will let you book minors in their own stateroom as long as that stateroom is next to or across the hall from the responsible adult.

Thanks Bob, RCCL considers anyone under 21 as a minor, correct?

If thats the case, I'd need to find 2 qualifying rooms and book one Parent in 1.  The 3rd room can have a parent and child elsewhere and just get extra room keys.  Ideally parents in 1 room. Boys 18/11 in another, Girls 19/19 in a 3rd.  Lots of musical chairs here lol.

3 minutes ago, DoubleGG said:

Thanks Bob, RCCL considers anyone under 21 as a minor, correct?

If thats the case, I'd need to find 2 qualifying rooms and book one Parent in 1.  The 3rd room can have a parent and child elsewhere and just get extra room keys.  Ideally parents in 1 room. Boys 18/11 in another, Girls 19/19 in a 3rd.  Lots of musical chairs here lol.

I probably should not have used the term "minor" in this case.  However  you are correct in that the stateroom age restrictions apply to those under age 21.

• Like 1

If the rules permit minors in their own cabin as long as it is adjacent to the parents cabin, why don't you find 3 balcony cabins that are all side by side and make sure the parents are in the middle one.  The minors could be in 2 different cabins on either side of the center cabin (therefore both being adjacent to the parental cabin).  Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you want to do.

2 hours ago, DoubleGG said:

... Assuming we invite one of the older kid's friends ...

Remember to get the notarized letter from the friend's parents.  You probably won't be asked for it, but if they do ask for it, they can deny the friend boarding without this document.

9 minutes ago, MeHeartCruising said:

If the rules permit minors in their own cabin as long as it is adjacent to the parents cabin, why don't you find 3 balcony cabins that are all side by side and make sure the parents are in the middle one.  The minors could be in 2 different cabins on either side of the center cabin (therefore both being adjacent to the parental cabin).  Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you want to do.

Depending on when the sailing is there could be availability issues with getting 3 cabins in a row. 

30 minutes ago, MeHeartCruising said:

20 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Depending on when the sailing is there could be availability issues with getting 3 cabins in a row. 

Yes, but that is the best solution.  It would be worth finding a sailing on which this configuration is possible for them.

Unless things have changed in the last year or so, rooms don’t have to be adjacent. Across the hall or within 2 (3?) rooms works. But you can’t book it via RC online. Using a good travel agent is easiest. Calling RC also works. 

And then the extra key dance 

You might be able to find two balcony cabins with one across the hall as well. 

5 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

Remember to get the notarized letter from the friend's parents.  You probably won't be asked for it, but if they do ask for it, they can deny the friend boarding without this document.

Just curious even if the friend is over 18? Since the OP mentioned the older kids were 18/19. Now that my teens are getting closer to being adults I need to keep track of this type of information since we frequently travel with an extra 'kid" or two. 

6 minutes ago, 3monkeys4me said:

You might be able to find two balcony cabins with one across the hall as well. 

Just curious even if the friend is over 18? Since the OP mentioned the older kids were 18/19. Now that my teens are getting closer to being adults I need to keep track of this type of information since we frequently travel with an extra 'kid" or two. 

I believe RC's FAQ on this is not specific as to the age.  Could be 18 or could be 21.  I'd hate for this to be a problem at check-in.

16 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

I believe RC's FAQ on this is not specific as to the age.  Could be 18 or could be 21.  I'd hate for this to be a problem at check-in.

Thanks. It is just so odd. My 16 year old can (and does) hop on an international flight on her own with nothing but a ticket and her passport but when she turns 18 could possibly need a parental consent letter to travel with a friend or her aunt, etc.. 

Sorry for getting a bit off topic!

As for the configuration of room(s) across the hall...……….

I am guessing that DoubleGG (the OP) would much prefer that the 11 year old be right next door (even better for it to be a connecting cabin), even if the 18 year old brother is with him.

And since the "other" 19 year old is not related to the adults, I think that RC's rule is that the cabin MUST be adjacent.  "Nearby" won't work.

Thus, the best choice is far and away:  three in a row, with adults in the middle.

5 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

As for the configuration of rooms(s) across the hall...……….

I am guessing that DoubleGG (the OP) would much prefer that the 11 year old be right next door (even better for it to be a connecting cabin), even if the 18 year old brother is with him.

And since the "other" 19 year old is not related to the adults, I think that RC's rule is that the cabin MUST be adjacent.  "Nearby" won't work.

That is my understanding as well.  

A separate department aside from reservations also checks on this as I know agents who have received notification that the cabins they have booked do not conform to guidelines and they have had to change cabins around so that cabins are adjacent. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Host Clarea said:

Worth looking at again since we plan to sail from San Juan.  Not sure if they consider that South America (like the do on booking engine) or a NA port.  Our kids are 19,18, 11 with a 19 yo joining us.  If they consider PR to be a SA port, it shouldn't be a bid deal to book them anywhere on the ship leaving only the cabin with 18/11 boys adjacent to us. Calling Royal earlier produced no fact based resolution other than "book it and if changes are necessary we will let you know".

Rules for cruising alone: Passengers must be 21 years old (as of the day the ship sets sail) to travel on their own from North American ports; they should be at least 18 years old when sailing from South America, Europe, Asia, Australia and New Zealand. Passengers under the age of 21 must travel with an adult over 21 in the same cabin, unless they are traveling with parents or guardians in connecting staterooms. Departing from non-American ports, passengers under 18 must be accompanied by someone 18+ in the same cabin.

1 minute ago, DoubleGG said:

Worth looking at again since we plan to sail from San Juan.  Not sure if they consider that South America (like the do on booking engine) or a NA port.  Our kids are 19,18, 11 with a 19 yo joining us.  If they consider PR to be a SA port, it shouldn't be a bid deal to book them anywhere on the ship leaving only the cabin with 18/11 boys adjacent to us. Calling Royal earlier produced no fact based resolution other than "book it and if changes are necessary we will let you know".

Rules for cruising alone: Passengers must be 21 years old (as of the day the ship sets sail) to travel on their own from North American ports; they should be at least 18 years old when sailing from South America, Europe, Asia, Australia and New Zealand. Passengers under the age of 21 must travel with an adult over 21 in the same cabin, unless they are traveling with parents or guardians in connecting staterooms. Departing from non-American ports, passengers under 18 must be accompanied by someone 18+ in the same cabin.

San Juan is considered a North American Port.  Connecting also means adjacent to or directly across the hall. 

I’m cruising next week with kids 13,15,18,20.  We booked the kids 2 balcony cabins (cheaper than all 4 in 1 cabin) that are connecting (on paper it’s 1 adult, 1 child and 2 children in the connecting) and the 3rd cabin is about 10 doors down. 

A little off topic but I’m sailing w husband and my boys 14 and 16 we have a suite and a balcony way down the hall (the cabin next door was available for an hour while we sorted this out then disappeared) so officially I’m in the balcony my husband and kids the suite.  Will they be able to give me the suite perks like drink package specialty restaurants? If all 4 of us were in the suite without the extra room I would have it.  

2 hours ago, lhm929 said:

A little off topic but I’m sailing w husband and my boys 14 and 16 we have a suite and a balcony way down the hall (the cabin next door was available for an hour while we sorted this out then disappeared) so officially I’m in the balcony my husband and kids the suite.  Will they be able to give me the suite perks like drink package specialty restaurants? If all 4 of us were in the suite without the extra room I would have it.  

No, you won't get the suite perks unless you are booked in the suite.  As mentioned above, contact whoever booked your cruise and get them to call RC and request the boys be put into their own stateroom.

We are booked in 2 adjacent cabins on Anthem.  Parents in one, 3 teens (all under 18) in the other.  The cabins are adjacent, but not connecting.  We were prepared to book 1 adult in each cabin, but when my husband called, the Royal agent suggested we book the teens together since it's allowed as long as the cabins are adjacent or directly across the hall.

For your situation, you could book 2 adjacent cabins.  Have 1 adult and 3 kids split between these 2 cabins.  Book a 3rd cabin nearby with 1 adult and 1 kid.  That would satisfy Royal's booking requirements.  When you get on board, get extra keys.  Have the adults sleep adjacent to the younger kids.  Have the older kids sleep in a nearby cabin.  As long as they behave, no one will care where you all sleep.