Changes to Buenos Aires- Lima cruise Jan 2021

GrJ Berkshire

Just been notified that this has changed, that various ports have been removed from the itinerary, including 2 nights in Montevideo. What has been put in is a trip down to the Antarctica peninsula, but just scenic cruising no landing on Antarctica. This with sailing to the Falklands, which I gather is a port often missed owing to the weather. This would mean a minimum of 13 sea days out of 21. We are not sure we will get to see as much of South America as we hoped to do, its a long way to go with so few ports . We enjoy the Regent experience but this might have tipped the balance too far, with so many ports in Uruguay, Chile, Peru not visited - places we are unlikely to return to. Is anyone else booked on this Voyager cruise or considering it?

Others thoughts on our dilemma are welcome: would you cancel or switch or remain with this cruise?

What are the other ports that have been removed? I did this cruise not on Regent, but on Seabourn, a 15 days cruise ending in Chile, and dont recall stopping in more ports that your cruise shows. We stopped one day in Montevideo and that was quite enough. We were lucky to be able to stop in the Falkland Islands. For me the highlight was cruising by the Chilean Fjords. Since we ended in Chile, our cruise was 15 days vs 21. For me the additional days between Chile and Lima would not be worth it (actually, that's why we did it with Seabourn and not with Regent). 

@GrJ Berkshire we have sailed the (original) itinerary twice and would support @cruiseluv's opinion that the sailing through the Chilean Fjords is spectacular - if the weather permits.  Our cruise was scheduled to make several stops but a couple were cancelled because of the heavy swell that coast experiences.  Several of the docks were damaged in an earthquake (?tidal wave?) a few years ago and since then, the ships are berthed in unprotected harbours and in some cases, they have to tender ashore.  The Pacific swell creates difficulties with both of these (on one occasion, we tendered ashore only to jump straight on and return as the captain declared it too risky to stay).  I am no meteorologist but I believe that in years where El Nino is particularly active, the likelihood of problems increases.  Perhaps this is part of the reasoning behind the change of itinerary?

We enjoyed visiting ports in that part of the world very much indeed, so I appreciate your dilemma.  And just to throw another spanner in the works, I'll just raise the dreaded "code red" issue - see what I mean on my blog, if you like.  Start here in Lima and continue down the coast with a hokey cokey in Iquique (?sp) and onwards for another dozen or so posts.  Let me say, however, that I wouldn't have missed that cruise, even if it remains memorable for the wrong reasons!

Edited by Gilly

we did a similar cruise several years ago but ended in chile. Made it to the Falklands and cruised the Antarctic peninsula. didn't go ashore in Antarctica but just cruising by was fabulous. We spent the day by Montevideo waiting for the wind to shift so we could get into the harbor as the ship needed to get supplies so we couldn't skip it. Just got to get off and walk around a bit.  

GrJ Berkshire,

I suggest you look at Oceania's BA-Lima cruise 1/28/21-2/17/21.  Ten port calls.  On board Marina.  Check the pricing compared to Regent.  You will need to add Business Class air (O offers an upgrade at very good pricing) and excursions (but you can plan and book your own at much less than O's excursion price).  And, if you take O's beverage package (unless you want to drink only wine/beer wine at meal times) you can upgrade to the full all-you-want [certain restrictions -similar to Regent's do apply] beverage package for $20 a day pp.

Oh, and compare the sizes of the cabins/suites.

Do all the math, then decide.

On ‎12‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 9:01 PM, golfguyhhi said:

GrJ Berkshire,

I suggest you look at Oceania's BA-Lima cruise 1/28/21-2/17/21.  Ten port calls.  On board Marina.  Check the pricing compared to Regent.  You will need to add Business Class air (O offers an upgrade at very good pricing) and excursions (but you can plan and book your own at much less than O's excursion price).  And, if you take O's beverage package (unless you want to drink only wine/beer wine at meal times) you can upgrade to the full all-you-want [certain restrictions -similar to Regent's do apply] beverage package for $20 a day pp.

Oh, and compare the sizes of the cabins/suites.

Do all the math, then decide.

Thanks for the advice re Oceania cruise .

We did a comparison re what we know from Regent  v Oceania: however despite the destination changes we came down on Regent  being better value once you add in flights from UK, excursions, gratuities ,drinks, pre-cruise 3-nights in Buenos Aires, gold SS perks. The size of the ships, pox numbers were all Oceania negatives, as were $23pp daily gratuities and 18% tip on all drinks which with excursions would take you up to Regent prices. The suites looked similar but we dislike the exclusivity of PH and above with own lounge, one of the major advantages of Regent is the way everybody is treated the same regardless of the suites they are in, it's what puts us off Cunard with a hierarchy of restaurants, depending on your status.

The changes re ports was not enough to make us change: however we have had no joy from Regent to explain why such a re-routing has occurred, especially if no landing in Antarctica is happening . Its a bit like an Alaska cruise but not landing to see the wildlife. Regent claim it enhances which it will to an extent, but loses other elements,

Thanks for comments but we will stick with what we know especially as Voyager is our favourite ship, plus we have again reserved 1055 a PH C suite with a great large balcony ,side and aft views. However we will try Oceania somewhere else, especially the smaller ships, and try to get over the gratuities/ tipping issue, its one of the reasons we love Regent so much, paying up front no tipping, which us Brits do not get!! Recently  in New England we were surprised to see on the bottom of restaurant chits the 10%, 12%, 15%, 18%, calculated out to help you work out your tip, Ug!!! ......... the lack of this hand out expectation on Regent is great, so 18% on a coke or glass of wine crazy.

And @GrJ Berkshire I apologise for not reading your earlier message accurately.  As I understand it, sailing from BA to Lima (rather than Lima to BA) reduces the likelihood of a Code Red situation, which I raised in the discussion about the itinerary change.  It sounds as though you have reached a decision.  Maybe in the coming months Regent's reasoning will become clearer?

This most interesting cruise from the Falklands to Deception Island somewhat follows a path of the “Antarctic Magistrate” Edward Beveridge Binnie. He was born in the Falklands on Oct 8, 1884 and became Magistrate to the Antarctic Peninsula in Graham land and visited Deception Island in 1907. In 1922, he officiated at the funeral of Ernest Shackleton the Antarctic Explorer.