Stateroom to be assigned

xyankee

Several months ago I booked a cruise for May 2020. Wanted a Mini Suite. None available at that time so I had to select “Stateroom to be assigned”. I noticed earlier today the the cruise is listed as Sold Out. What happens now with me not having an assigned stateroom?

1 hour ago, xyankee said:

Several months ago I booked a cruise for May 2020. Wanted a Mini Suite. None available at that time so I had to select “Stateroom to be assigned”. I noticed earlier today the the cruise is listed as Sold Out. What happens now with me not having an assigned stateroom?

They will have a cabin for you! 

Edited by Reader0108598

You will be assigned a cabin in the category you booked or higher. Keep watching the cruise personlizer. Cabin assignment may come sooner or closer to the sailing date, but will come. Regarding the sold out issue, your cabin is one of those that attributes to being sold out.

• Like 1

We’re traveling with another couple and our reservations are “linked.”  Both of us have mini-suites and our “cabins to be assigned.” We’re hoping our cabins will be side-by-side. I’m wondering if we can expect this to happened?  What’s your experience with this?

I've sailed in guarantee rooms a number of times, and there doesn't seem to be any good ways to predict where you'll end up or when you'll actually receive a cabin assignment.  I've been on ones where I had an assigned cabin three days after booking 6+ months from sailing, and I've heard of people getting their cabin assignment at the check-in desk, and when I've sailed in guarantee cabins I find it can be anywhere in between.  

That said, what typically happens if they have more passenger bookings than available cabins in a category is that they will first start by making upsell offers to try to get passengers to upgrade to categories with more availability.  At times there may be more than one of these, with progressively lower prices.  If the ship is overbooked close to sailing (if everything is sold out on a particular cruise this could be a possibility) they may have to start making move over offers to get people to move to other sailings.  Since this can greatly disrupt travel plans (especially if it happens on short notice), these offers can be quite lucrative for the passengers who have the flexibility to take them (typically this involves refundable OBC for all of the original cruise fare minus taxes and fees, a longer cruise offered in place of the original one, category upgrades and reimbursement for airline/hotel change fees.)  These are fairly rare, but do happen if a sailing gets overbooked.  Typically there will be cancellations for various reasons along the way, which will free up rooms and allow Princess to allocate them to passengers in guarantees.  Ultimately, the cruise line's goal is to do whatever is needed to make sure the ship sails full, since empty cabins don't generate revenue.

Edited by Vexorg

8 hours ago, xyankee said:

No experience with to be assigned. This is the first time without getting an assigned cabin when making the original reservation. 

IMO it is a little far out to be sold out already.

Keep checking you may find the cruise opens back up again.

But as stated you will have a room. You may not get the assignment right up until a day or 2 before sailing.

Hope that there are no mini-suites available for you!  This way, you will get a CC mini or if they are sold out, a suite!!  Now that would be really cool, wouldn't it?  I was able to get a S7 guarantee (Window Suites) and am excited.  My cruise is still way out there, but all the WS's(only 7 to begin with) have been sold out, so if that keeps up, I will get a suite at the price of my WS which is less than a CC mini!  Now that would be cool.  But I will be happy with a WS too.

Pooh

I am 19 days out and no room assignment yet. Called Princess today to try and find out something, but the woman on the phone was clueless. I'm hoping it will be assigned before we leave, so that we can print out our luggage tags.  

33 minutes ago, MrBreeze said:

I am 19 days out and no room assignment yet. Called Princess today to try and find out something, but the woman on the phone was clueless. I'm hoping it will be assigned before we leave, so that we can print out our luggage tags.  

Porters will have them available at the pier along with your cabin assignment if it goes that long. 

• Like 1

On 12/12/2019 at 6:09 AM, BigGuy25 said:

We’re traveling with another couple and our reservations are “linked.”  Both of us have mini-suites and our “cabins to be assigned.” We’re hoping our cabins will be side-by-side. I’m wondering if we can expect this to happened?  What’s your experience with this?

It’s hard to say whether you will be near each other or not. It will all depend on where the empty cabins they need to fill are at.  That said, once assigned, if there is an open cabin in the same category you are assigned to that is closer to your travel companions you can always request to be moved to the preferred cabin.