Maasdam being refused Practique in Fiji

VK3DQ

2 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

My past immunization record was not available.

So your doctor just made it up?  Basically assumed that you had what was required at the time, with no proof that you actually did?

Wow

Edited by Shmoo here
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Shmoo here said:

So your doctor just made it up?  Basically assumed that you had what was required at the time, with no proof that you actually did?

Wow

Jumping to conclusions is not an admirable trait.  I have nothing further to say to you.

• 4 weeks later...

We travel a ton, and we got MMR, and Polio boosters before we went for a month in India some years back. When we went on an African safari in Tanzania and Zanzibar, it was time again for another booster. We have the International Yellow Immunization cards from the CDC and we carry them everywhere. They list all of our vaccinations as well.

You can get these internationally recognized cards from your doctor and they can fill them out, or now there is a nationwide data base.

I just got my Shingles vaccine last week, and with no discussion at all, the nurse knew all my vaccines as they were in the vaccine database. I didn't even know one existed! 🙂

Stacy Allen

20 minutes ago, mybagsarepacked said:

I just got my Shingles vaccine last week, and with no discussion at all, the nurse knew all my vaccines as they were in the vaccine database. I didn't even know one existed! 🙂

Just to be sure you know, you'll need a second one 2-6 months after the first. (Unless they're different kinds?)

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, dobiemom said:

Just to be sure you know, you'll need a second one 2-6 months after the first. (Unless they're different kinds?)

53 minutes ago, dobiemom said:

The 'newest '  shingles vaccine   does require a second dose some few months later.  Whomever administers your shot will advise you, of course.

Edited by sail7seas

20 minutes ago, sail7seas said:

The 'newest '  shingles vaccine   does require a second dose some few months later.  Whomever administers your shot will advise you, of course.

Unless it is CVS.  We got our first shot at CVS and they said we would get an e-mail 3-6 months later when they had the vaccine in stock.  No e-mail.  DW happened to be at the same CVS and asked about our 2nd shot and they said, "no problem" we have plenty of vaccine.  But they had no explanation of why we were not notified.

Do not assume anyone will advise you for your 2nd shot.  Be assertive and make an inquiry after 3 months.

Hank

I got off the 34 day Maasdam Cruise, from 3rd December to 6th January, just over a week ago and I would like to provide a bit more information on what happened in Fiji as it seems there are always some people that wish to blame the Cruise Line for something that they had no control over. I will also add that they dealt with it in a very professional manner.

We had been in Tonga, where they had a total of 4 active measles cases at that time. When we arrived at Savusavu Fiji, there was a hold up of over an hour before the ship was cleared. The first two Tenders, that had about 100 people on them were allowed to go ashore. The first excursion was on the next Tender and that was then held at the ship for some time before they were all asked to get off and go back on board. All ships tours were cancelled at this time and full refunds provided, as well as the all day Happy Hour being announced.

The Captain then announced that the local Medical Officer Of Health had refused to allow any further passengers to disembark and that all passengers from the first two Tenders were being recalled. It was because the Island was totally free of measles cases. The Captain made regular updates over the next couple of hours saying that he was working with HALs Chief Medical Officer and would be on a conference call with all parties including the national and local Medical Officers of Fiji.

The outcome was that anyone born before 1956 or 1957, I cannot remember which, would be allowed to go ashore that day.

A letter from the Captain was sent out detailing what was agreed for the next three Fiji ports. If you were born before a certain date, which depended on your Citizenship, you could go ashore. There were various Countries listed that included Canada and the EU as 1970, others had different dates. If the Country was not listed then it was 1956 or 1957. Any people born after these dates would require a copy of their vaccinations. Free internet was provided for people to contact home to get a copy sent. This was especially useful as we had the New Zealand Youth Choir on board with us.

This is to the best of my recollection and I am sure that I have not covered everything that occurred at this time but it certainly covers the highlights.

• Like 6

On 1/16/2020 at 9:21 PM, dobiemom said:

Yep, we are aware. They told us the first shot will be about 90% effective, and the second one we were told is like a final booster to the first.

we’ll get our second in March