DV v V cabin

harbourside

On 1/2/2020 at 6:56 AM, grimsbybud said:

RE: Viking Ocean Cruise Embarkation day

What would you recommend for planning/activities on Embarcation day on Viking Ocean Cruise ship, esp. Bergen-Iceland?

We have done several Viking River Cruises but no experience on the Ocean Ships.

Why not bring your question to the threads that are already covering the topic area. You will find a bigger audience to answer your questions

Try these threads, just as a start:

Arrival at Bergen BGO

Hello from Bergen  (2019 Live thread/ lots of info about shorex taken)

Independent Tour Options - Norway, Faroe Islands, Iceland

Live from Viking Sky Iceland majestic landscapes

And these roll calls:

Viking SKY - ICELAND Landscapes - MAY 27, 2019

June 8,2019 Iceland's Majestic Landscapes June 8,2019

August 1, 2019 Iceland's Majestic Landscapes - Bergen to Reykjavik

August 13, 2019 - Iceland's Majestic Landscapes

June 3, 2020 - Viking Sky - Iceland’s Majestic Landscapes

Iceland July 17, 2020  (note: this is really the July 18 sailing on the Star)

Viking Sky Bergen to Reykjavik Aug 8, 2020

August 20, 2020 Iceland's Majestic Landscapes

• Thanks 1

Regarding Bergen - I would do the shorter bus tour and then DYI.  Bergen is easy to get around, everyone speaks english and weather will determine of you want to do the funicular....Or just take the Hop on Off off bus which is located very near where the ship is docked. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, knoxclone said:

Regarding Bergen - I would do the shorter bus tour and then DYI.  Bergen is easy to get around, everyone speaks english and weather will determine of you want to do the funicular....Or just take the Hop on Off off bus which is located very near where the ship is docked. 

I agree. We took the included tour and were quite pleased. It left plenty of time to walk around Bergen. The weather was beautiful which meant the line for the funicular stretched for blocks. We intend to take that ride next Spring when we return during our "British Isles Explorer" cruise.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, grimsbybud said:

Hello all,

Apologies right off for the long, detailed, ask here.

As I have noted in earlier posts, we are booked on Viking Ocean Cruise's Viking Sky "Iceland's Majestic Landscapes" with the extra "Pre" in Oslo and the train package to Bergen at the beginning of June (2020). 

This post is intended to solicit comments on "Shore Excursions and tours" during the cruise Bergen/Iceland.

Our window to book excursions opens Feb 14  so we want to be ready to get in and book what we want. We've made choices but do have questions as to possibles. If you have any thoughts on one, or the other, of these options at each port of call, please advise!!

The "day" sequences are after arrival in Bergen.

Day 2-In Bergen, first full day: option of Included, 2 hour, "Discover Bergen Motor Coach Tour and do the Funicular on our own afterwards, or pay for the 4 hour "Snap Shot" of Bergen with includes the Funicular with tour guide and poke about Bryggen on our own after Lunch aboard?

Day 3- Flåm  The included 2 hour Motor Coach tour "Surroundings of Flåm", or the 3.5 hour "Panoramic Half -Day Railway Journey" (this looks the better)

Day 4- Ẵlesund The 2 hour "Art Nouveau" walking tour, or the 3.5 Hour the "Islands of Giske and Godøy". Added question is , how long is the Motor Coach ride to get there, and back?

-------

Day 7 Tóshaven, Faroe Islands  The 2 hour Faroe Islands Vistas, or  the 4 hour '"Islands of Vágar.".Both on Motor Coaches

-----

Day 9 Seydisfjördur -Self exploration of the town,  or  3.5 hour "Skálanes nature and Heritage Centre"

Day 10 Akureyri -2 hour  "Panoramic Akureyri" , or " Akureyri Architecture and Godafoss Falls" (worth the cost?)

Day 11  Ísa Fjördur  2 hour  Motor Coach tour and walk  "Ísa Fjördur and Bolaungarvík Village", or  3 hour "Flowers and Fjords"  Botanical Garden

Day 12 Reykjavík 3.5 hour "Panoramic Reykjavík", or 4 hour "Reykjanes Penninsula and Viking World Museum"

I know this is a lot to ask but, as I've said in earlier posts, we're 3-time Viking river folks and are of "an age" and need to be sure that the trip experience is best it can be.

Also, comments on group sizes for tours on Ocean Cruises? We're used to the 40max/guide ratio on the River Excursions

My sincere thanks to all of you who take the time to assist us!

Bud

Day 2-If many ships are in port, the line for the Funicular can be long and groups get priority over individuals. Afternoons are usually less crowded, and weather makes all the difference.

Day 3- Your are right, IMO, the railway tour would be a better choice, due to incredible scenery.

Day 4- Alesund is an interesting city to explore by walking tour.

Day 7- Have taken the Vagar tour and it was incredible! 
Day 12- If you have never been to Reykjavík, touring the city would be interesting or “The Golden Circle” tour is a winner ( the latter is the most popular tour in this area and the sites can be crowded, but worth seeing).

Just my opinions...in this region of the world whatever you choose is a winner!

If you are concerned about costs and size of your groups, I suggest you look at private tour companies which will give you the same tours for less money in smaller groups of usually under ten. These were reviews in an older forum: 

In Flam, we took the full day to Voss. The tour included a lunch at a hotel with a spectacular view of a fjord. The bus descent down the mountain with 13 hairpin turns within one mile was hair raising, but was quite an accent on the trip!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, retiredman said:

If you are concerned about costs and size of your groups, I suggest you look at private tour companies which will give you the same tours for less money in smaller groups of usually under ten. These were reviews in an older forum: 

In Flam, we took the full day to Voss. The tour included a lunch at a hotel with a spectacular view of a fjord. The bus descent down the mountain with 13 hairpin turns within one mile was hair raising, but was quite an accent on the trip!

Rertiredman: Wonderful information and a great idea. we will look around and check private offers! If you don;'t mind me asking, do ou recall what the Falam/Voss excursion cost you? Looking for a sense of it all. BTW July 22 is my birthday...75 then.

Bud

• Like 1

18 hours ago, retiredman said:

I agree. We took the included tour and were quite pleased. It left plenty of time to walk around Bergen. The weather was beautiful which meant the line for the funicular stretched for blocks. We intend to take that ride next Spring when we return during our "British Isles Explorer" cruise.

Our concern is, from other posters, that the access to the funicular is often VERY busy and that booked tours get ahead in the question. We won't be coming bak this was (not planned, anyway as we have several others we must get to before one, or more of us can't-74 and 70) 

You can purchase tickets for the Mt Floyen funicular in advance online.  We did that last year.  You can then bypass the ticket purchase line. We went up in the afternoon and spent quite some time hiking and then hiked down.  (When purchasing, you can choose to purchase round trip or one way).  Obviously, you do need to make your way to the funicular area.  We were fortunate in that we had beautiful weather, which is not always the case in Bergen.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, grimsbybud said:

Our concern is, from other posters, that the access to the funicular is often VERY busy and that booked tours get ahead in the question. We won't be coming bak this was (not planned, anyway as we have several others we must get to before one, or more of us can't-74 and 70) 

There may be a huge line in the morning for the Funicular but by the afternoon it is walk on..also they have a discount for senior citizens

Thank you geffric. This would allow us to do the morning included, back for lunch and then a leisurely bit of time W/pout the crowds at the top. At 74, I'm not informed but not having to wait in a long line would be better!! 
We're doing the Icelands Magnificent Landscapes in early June...If you have any other thoughts about the best options along our way, we'd be appreciative.

3 Viking river cruises but our first on their Ocean Ships.

Bud in Niagara, Ont.

2 hours ago, Liz Masterson said:

Also my Grandfather's nickname was Bud... he was in truth Floyd... which was an uncommon name even then.

I was the product of  a family where it was important to name after the father...So I was the 3rd.., ie: Hardy III. Firstly, as a tot, I wouldn't come when called by that name, but would answer to the nickname of several of my uncles: Bud. Then, as I got into school, the taunts of "Hardy ,har, har" really bugged me. I tried to lose Hardy but governments and teachers on first day roll call prevented it.

Sory for the delay in responding...Life, and chef's responsibilities got in the way.

Look forward to more, back and forth.

B

• Like 1