On QM2 now (December 15-22)

MarkBearSF

Hello!

We are booked on QG on Jan. 3 eastbound crossing.

It's been a few years since our last crossing and this will be our first winter crossing.

I have a question about the dress code.  

Are most men wearing tuxedos on the Gala Evenings?  Suit and Tie on Smart Attire nights?

Thank you!!! 

David

Just now, idtdavid said:

Hello!

We are booked on QG on Jan. 3 eastbound crossing.

It's been a few years since our last crossing and this will be our first winter crossing.

I have a question about the dress code.  

Are most men wearing tuxedos on the Gala Evenings?  Suit and Tie on Smart Attire nights?

Thank you!!! 

David

I would estimate that about 70% wear tuxes (80-85% in the Grills).  Roughly the same numbers for ties. (A bit dressier than I'm used to on a Summer trip - but this is a Westbound, pre-holiday itinerary, so there are larger percentage of Brits than I'm accustomed to as well)

• Like 1

On 12/20/2019 at 5:31 AM, bluemarble said:

Have you heard if this will result in a delay arriving in New York on Sunday?

The transatlantic crossing at the beginning of June arrived 2 hours late due to an evacuation in Halifax (IIRC the ship actually entered port for that evacuation). We got an email the day before arrival advising us to delay our check-in two hours from the time on our e-ticket. We enjoyed a leisurely departure from our home town that day.

Yes, no worries about a late arrival this time. In addition to the captain's assurance, which of course is sufficient, I see now from satellite AIS that QM2 has been travelling in excess of 23 knots and occasionally in excess of 24 knots lately to make up for any lost time from the medical evacuation at St. John's.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

QM2 must really have those turbines running now. The latest AIS satellite report has her doing 25.7 knots.

Once again QM2 shows us the difference between a hotel barge cruise ship and a true Ocean Liner. I would love to be aboard and standing on the observation area watching the Atlantic slide by when she is traveling that fast. 

• Like 4

On 12/21/2019 at 3:14 PM, Bigmike911 said:

Once again QM2 shows us the difference between a hotel barge cruise ship and a true Ocean Liner. I would love to be aboard and standing on the observation area watching the Atlantic slide by when she is traveling that fast. 

On the last world for the QE2 she on occasion got up to her fine speed of 34 knots. She was capable of sailing well over the QM2's forward speed while going backwards.

We were on this voyage as the second half of our roundtrip TA, and night of the evacuation was really interesting. Apparently, the ropes from the coast guard boat kept 

breaking, so they shifted to the helicopter evacuation. The breaking ropes, which we found out about the next day, explained the light bouncing the ship did for a longish time around 11 pm or so. I just hope the man who was taken off is okay.

I just posted my review in the reviews section. Here it is.

Just before Christmas we returned to the Queen Mary 2, doing our very favorite itinerary, a Westbound Crossing. As this was a somewhat last-minute “live for today” splurge, we booked into the Queens Grill experience.

Yes, we’ve enjoyed trips on the QM2 six times before and have done eight crossings (counting roundtrips as two) with more scheduled in May 2020 and 2021. Yes indeed, we love the ship and always feel like we’re returning home when we board. This time was no exception and it was great seeing many of our favorite staff - not surprisingly, mostly in the bars.

But all of these trips were in Britannia class. (Mostly sheltered balconies on Deck 5 or not-too-obstructed ones on Deck 8). We feel at home in those cabins (I know exactly where to put our three large bags) and have enjoyed our meals in the most beautiful dining room on the seas, the Britannia Restaurant.

The Queens Grill category was a wonderful step up from our usual experience. The standard QG “suites” are spacious and comfortable, with a bar and sitting area, a roomy walk-in closet and a bathroom spacious enough for two with deep whirlpool tub and shower. We were looked after by a cabin steward and butler. (The butler was mostly another steward, but was available should we want to host a party in our suite or make similar arrangements.) As usual on the QM2, they were impeccable. Seemingly magically slipping in to tidy our cabin as we left for breakfast or pre-dinner drinks.

The Queens Grill was a wonderful experience. We loved having our table for two for all meals, including breakfast and lunch. (Especially breakfast. We prefer to be served, and I’ve always felt that morning is a time for routine - it was great  having our waiter know that my husband wants coffee and tomato juice and I want pineapple juice and water, no coffee) The basic menu was mostly the same as in Britannia, but the galley in the grills serves roughly 200 versus 2000. I suspect that some portions may be slightly larger. Additionally, there is a second menu of “A la Carte Items” including such items as Tempura Prawns for a starter and main courses like Beef Wellington, Lobster Thermador, and Rack of Lamb. They also encourage off-menu ordering (with advance notice at lunch or earlier) 

Osman, the excellent Maitre d’ was always asking us if we wanted anything including caviar. I’m not a fan, but my husband is. He tried it one night and it’s not like the “old caviar” and was missing the “pop” - both textural and the expected burst of flavor. So he ordered it only once, but we saw the telltale toast racks flying around the dining room to other tables, nightly.  For my birthday, we arranged for a starter of a large plate of chilled shellfish - prawns, lobster, crab. scallops and mussels. Our main course was an impeccable Beef Wellington, carved tableside and dessert was Crepes Suzette, flamed tableside as well. In fact, there was often a regular traffic jam of carts near our table, as a couple of nearby tables were regularly ordering specials - and they love setting things on fire up there!

Service was impeccable also in the Grills Lounge across from the Grill. This also was where Afternoon Tea was served. The items seemed slightly superior to the offerings in the Queens Room (especially the clotted cream) and it was a relief to avoid the mad “Black Friday rush” as the doors open there. (Although the Queen’s Room is breathtaking with the chandeliers, string quartet and parade of liveried servers.)

I also loved the Concierge Lounge which, like the Grills Lounge, is available for both Queens and Princess Grill accommodations. The concierge was able to take care of pretty much everything that the Purser’s Desk staff can handle, (plus excursions and planetarium tickets). Plus coffee, tea, and small snacks - including Afternoon Tea items. When the WiFi access point outside our cabin stopped working four days into the crossing, I found it convenient to take my laptop down the hall to take advantage of the speedy WiFi available there AND the comfy chairs.

Of course, we spent time in our usual haunts. Commodore Club for the LGBT get-togethers and some quiet cocktails in the evening, Before dinner we split our time between our favorite Chart Room Bar (especially on formal gala evenings) and the Grills Lounge. And although lunch in the Queens Grill was delicious, we DID need to do the excellent Pub Lunch in the Golden Lion Pub once.

And, of course, we attended some excellent presentations by world-class lecturers in Illuminations. But wait there’s more (there’s always more on the QM2) - I made a whopping $35 playing blackjack in a couple of brief visits!

Yes, it WAS a wonderful experience. Is it like flying, where once you’ve flown First Class, it’d hard to go back to Coach?  Well, there’s a BIIIIG difference between aircraft coach seating and QM2 Britannia cabins. We loved QG, but just booked Britannia cabin 8050 for a roundtrip crossing in 2021.  There’s appropriate value in ALL of the categories, but “plain old Britannia” cabins and dining is very fine indeed.

I’m already counting the days until our next crossings this coming May.

Edited by MarkBearSF
  • Like 4

Mark thank you so much for your informative review. My husband and I will be doing Cunard, QM2 Queens Grill for the first time this March so your review helped with lots of insight. 

I do have a query. We  just got off a Seabourn cruise and a couple we met was very dismissive of their experience in QG. From some of their comments I did think they hadn't done much research and so expectations were unrealistic and they didn't know about some things. However other things they mentioned were helpful to keep us grounded. 

My query, they complained that at lunch in QG all you could obtain were sandwiches, burgers and pasta. I am sure I have read of a much more extensive lunch menu or am I getting that mixed up with the dinner menu? Could you clarify that please?  Mind you I asked if the tried the Golden Lion for lunch and they were rather dismissive of that idea. We intend to try it at least once as we like a good English Pub meal.

Julie

8 minutes ago, frantic36 said:

Mark thank you so much for your informative review. My husband and I will be doing Cunard, QM2 Queens Grill for the first time this March so your review helped with lots of insight. 

I do have a query. We  just got off a Seabourn cruise and a couple we met was very dismissive of their experience in QG. From some of their comments I did think they hadn't done much research and so expectations were unrealistic and they didn't know about some things. However other things they mentioned were helpful to keep us grounded. 

My query, they complained that at lunch in QG all you could obtain were sandwiches, burgers and pasta. I am sure I have read of a much more extensive lunch menu or am I getting that mixed up with the dinner menu? Could you clarify that please?  Mind you I asked if the tried the Golden Lion for lunch and they were rather dismissive of that idea. We intend to try it at least once as we like a good English Pub meal.

Julie

Julie, rest assured that you can get more than sandwiches, burgers and pasta in QG at lunch. One wonders if the had actually traveled on Cunard in QG at all. I have made 18 QG voyages and I have never been disappointed with the food at any meal the service or the Pub food for that matter. 

16 hours ago, MarkBearSF said:

I just posted my review in the reviews section. Here it is.

Just before Christmas we returned to the Queen Mary 2, doing our very favorite itinerary, a Westbound Crossing. As this was a somewhat last-minute “live for today” splurge, we booked into the Queens Grill experience.

Yes, we’ve enjoyed trips on the QM2 six times before and have done eight crossings (counting roundtrips as two) with more scheduled in May 2020 and 2021. Yes indeed, we love the ship and always feel like we’re returning home when we board. This time was no exception and it was great seeing many of our favorite staff - not surprisingly, mostly in the bars.

But all of these trips were in Britannia class. (Mostly sheltered balconies on Deck 5 or not-too-obstructed ones on Deck 8). We feel at home in those cabins (I know exactly where to put our three large bags) and have enjoyed our meals in the most beautiful dining room on the seas, the Britannia Restaurant.

The Queens Grill category was a wonderful step up from our usual experience. The standard QG “suites” are spacious and comfortable, with a bar and sitting area, a roomy walk-in closet and a bathroom spacious enough for two with deep whirlpool tub and shower. We were looked after by a cabin steward and butler. (The butler was mostly another steward, but was available should we want to host a party in our suite or make similar arrangements.) As usual on the QM2, they were impeccable. Seemingly magically slipping in to tidy our cabin as we left for breakfast or pre-dinner drinks.

The Queens Grill was a wonderful experience. We loved having our table for two for all meals, including breakfast and lunch. (Especially breakfast. We prefer to be served, and I’ve always felt that morning is a time for routine - it was great  having our waiter know that my husband wants coffee and tomato juice and I want pineapple juice and water, no coffee) The basic menu was mostly the same as in Britannia, but the galley in the grills serves roughly 200 versus 2000. I suspect that some portions may be slightly larger. Additionally, there is a second menu of “A la Carte Items” including such items as Tempura Prawns for a starter and main courses like Beef Wellington, Lobster Thermador, and Rack of Lamb. They also encourage off-menu ordering (with advance notice at lunch or earlier) 

Osman, the excellent Maitre d’ was always asking us if we wanted anything including caviar. I’m not a fan, but my husband is. He tried it one night and it’s not like the “old caviar” and was missing the “pop” - both textural and the expected burst of flavor. So he ordered it only once, but we saw the telltale toast racks flying around the dining room to other tables, nightly.  For my birthday, we arranged for a starter of a large plate of chilled shellfish - prawns, lobster, crab. scallops and mussels. Our main course was an impeccable Beef Wellington, carved tableside and dessert was Crepes Suzette, flamed tableside as well. In fact, there was often a regular traffic jam of carts near our table, as a couple of nearby tables were regularly ordering specials - and they love setting things on fire up there!

Service was impeccable also in the Grills Lounge across from the Grill. This also was where Afternoon Tea was served. The items seemed slightly superior to the offerings in the Queens Room (especially the clotted cream) and it was a relief to avoid the mad “Black Friday rush” as the doors open there. (Although the Queen’s Room is breathtaking with the chandeliers, string quartet and parade of liveried servers.)

I also loved the Concierge Lounge which, like the Grills Lounge, is available for both Queens and Princess Grill accommodations. The concierge was able to take care of pretty much everything that the Purser’s Desk staff can handle, (plus excursions and planetarium tickets). Plus coffee, tea, and small snacks - including Afternoon Tea items. When the WiFi access point outside our cabin stopped working four days into the crossing, I found it convenient to take my laptop down the hall to take advantage of the speedy WiFi available there AND the comfy chairs.

Of course, we spent time in our usual haunts. Commodore Club for the LGBT get-togethers and some quiet cocktails in the evening, Before dinner we split our time between our favorite Chart Room Bar (especially on formal gala evenings) and the Grills Lounge. And although lunch in the Queens Grill was delicious, we DID need to do the excellent Pub Lunch in the Golden Lion Pub once.

And, of course, we attended some excellent presentations by world-class lecturers in Illuminations. But wait there’s more (there’s always more on the QM2) - I made a whopping $35 playing blackjack in a couple of brief visits!

Yes, it WAS a wonderful experience. Is it like flying, where once you’ve flown First Class, it’d hard to go back to Coach?  Well, there’s a BIIIIG difference between aircraft coach seating and QM2 Britannia cabins. We loved QG, but just booked Britannia cabin 8050 for a roundtrip crossing in 2021.  There’s appropriate value in ALL of the categories, but “plain old Britannia” cabins and dining is very fine indeed.

I’m already counting the days until our next crossings this coming May.

Mark, I am glad you enjoyed your QG voyage, You comments reflect my experience in all 18 of my QG voyages. Are you sure you don't want to do it again? At 75 with my Grandaughter's primary education paid for this year (more per year that a Q4 Solo T/A) and her college prepaid. I am going to spend the next couple of years with an annual T/A in a Q4, 22 July 2020 from Hamburg, and a 10 day Q4 T/A from hamburg on 22 July 2021, at least. Habits are hard to break and beside, you can't take it with you. Your right, Osman is the Best. 

Edited by Bigmike911

I would love to do QG again, and if I'm still around for a while, probably will. However, in the current calculus of cost, Britannia is most often best for us right now. And our next RT crossing in May/June will be in PG (It was booked last summer, long before this one came up). 

Technically, it wasn't our first time in QG on Cunard. In 1997 and '99, we were upgraded from Caronia on the QE2. It was lovely both times. (This was back in the days of the "good caviar" - also as a topping for shirred eggs at breakfast - and the silver trumpets with the small sorbet balls between courses as a palette cleanser). And then in 2008 on our farewell voyage on her, we enjoyed Caronia.

We need Business or First class on most of our flights, but are comfortable in the MDR on Cunard.

36 minutes ago, Bigmike911 said:

Julie, rest assured that you can get more than sandwiches, burgers and pasta in QG at lunch. One wonders if the had actually traveled on Cunard in QG at all. I have made 18 QG voyages and I have never been disappointed with the food at any meal the service or the Pub food for that matter. 

Thanks for the reassurance BigMike. I am pretty sure they did travel in QG but from some things they complained about and I knew i.e. two top tables often being close together,  they didn't have the benefit of cruise critic for information.

Julie

1 hour ago, frantic36 said:

We never had a problem finding a meal we enjoyed at lunch. That said, however, I recall that the lunch menu was the same (or mostly so) as the menu in Britannia and no published ala carte menu items. If memory serves, the daily offerings were

• Starters - about 4 soups, salads and starters. Plus a Canyon Ranch Selection (healthy spa choice) and another featured Selection. There were always a couple of salads.
  • Main - a sandwich of the day (sometimes a burger), and about 4 other options including pasta, plus a Canyon Ranch option. 
  • Dessert - About 4 choices, including a low-sugar choice, also ice cream and a Canyon Ranch choice. There was usually at least one typically English choice like Sticky Toffee Pudding, Spotted Dick, or a Banoffee tart. 
  • ...so basically 5-6 choices throughout. Sandwiches, salads and pasta? Sure. But a variety of other options too 

I heartily recommend the Pub Lunch (your friend dismissed it to her detriment) and have enjoyed the extra-charge Veranda Steakhouse lunch with a group on a recent cruise. Among the excellent choices is, yes, the Cunarder Burger. While my husband finds buffets trying and tiring, we also enjoy the small bites in the comfortable Carinthia Lounge especially handy when planning a later Afternoon Tea. Of course, these choices are available to all aboard, so are not QG-specific options, but I mention them as alternatives to the QG lunch, if one finds it tiresome or limited. We did not.

Also, you will be presented with the next days menus in your cabin, so you can review and make decisions in advance. All QG meals can be served in your suite, and also, if you have any special requests any day, it should be able to be accommodated.

By the way, my husband is allergic to ocean white fish (no issues with shellfish or salmon) and was presented with the menus in advance for any notes. I'm sensitive to lactose and was served a delicious soy ice cream.

Edited by MarkBearSF

Thank you Mark. That clarifies the lunch question well.

I am looking forward to checking out what is available with the Canyon Ranch choice which I am thinking is a healthier choice option. Seabourn do a sugar free dessert and things you can modify to make a healthy choice but not specific spa menu choices. One of our top hotels here in Perth has their Spa menu choices in one restaurant and I enjoyed them on a staycation.

I also appreciate the suggestion for Verandah Steakhouse and Carinthia Lounge as I hadn't factored those in before. We will be on for 18 days so it will be nice to have alternatives if we so choose.

Julie

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jayers said:

Could you possibly post a photo of the room service menu? Thank you. 

Sorry. I'm no longer on board, so I'm unable to post a photo.

We don't usually order room service so I didn't look for a menu. They DO update the full QG menu in the cabin daily - and your QG meals can be served in the cabin. 

Edited by MarkBearSF

On 12/28/2019 at 7:56 PM, frantic36 said:

Thanks for the reassurance BigMike. I am pretty sure they did travel in QG but from some things they complained about and I knew i.e. two top tables often being close together,  they didn't have the benefit of cruise critic for information.

Julie

Julie, I am not familiar with the term top table as it refers to QG. There are several tables around the grill that seat six, eight or maybe ten, but there is no "Top" table like the Captains table in the Britannia Dining Room. And larger tables are spread out around the room and mixed with numbers of tables for four, and more tables for two. 

1 hour ago, Bigmike911 said:

Julie, I am not familiar with the term top table as it refers to QG. There are several tables around the grill that seat six, eight or maybe ten, but there is no "Top" table like the Captains table in the Britannia Dining Room. And larger tables are spread out around the room and mixed with numbers of tables for four, and more tables for two. 

Hi Bigmike, sorry if I confused you.

From my understanding a two-top is just a reference for tables for just two people. I am not wanting to being seated at a "Top" table 😊. I quite enjoy my husband's company at dinner but will happily chat with people sometimes during the day or, from what I have read the tables for two are quite close, so sometimes at dinner.

Julie