Getting from one cruise ship to another ship at the Port of Civitavecchia on the same day?

tpwolfe

We are doing a back to back both leaving from the Port of Civitavecchia.  We are doing Celebrity first and then Holland America for the transatlantic home.  Just wondering what is best way to get from the Celebrity ship to the Holland America ship the same day at the Port of Civitavecchia.

17 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

You may be close enough to walk. Worst case you take the free shuttle out of the port, and transfer to the free shuttle to your new ship.

Those are my thought too.

And it may be that some shuttlebuses trawl the different berths to pick up passengers - if so, and it calls at HAL's berth after Celebrity's, then that' be sooooo easy

JB :classic_smile:

43 minutes ago, John Bull said:

Those are my thought too.

And it may be that some shuttlebuses trawl the different berths to pick up passengers - if so, and it calls at HAL's berth after Celebrity's, then that' be sooooo easy

Have not experienced nor heard that is the procedure. It seems buses are assigned to ships...only transporting to/from a given ship in port that day. But who knows?

45 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

Have not experienced nor heard that is the procedure. It seems buses are assigned to ships...only transporting to/from a given ship in port that day. But who knows?

Hi, Bruce.

Pure supposition on my part - I was thinkin' of the quieter interludes during the day when the port area is comparatively deserted. Perhaps just a couple of dozen folk in total leaving ships and one bus sweeping them all up rather than four or five buses each with 5 or six pax.  Certainly happens with UK airport transfers

But yes, more likely a bus to the port gate, and another from there to HAL.

About 6 years ago, we rode on a shuttle bus at Civitavecchia that called at two other ships on the way to ours.  They may not do that any more, but it would be pretty straightforward to take the shuttle out of the port and then transfer to the correct shuttle back into the port for the new ship.

Usually the shuttles only call one ship and have a sign with the ships´ name in the front window. So when you´re not able to walk (ex. Celebrity docks at 25 and HAL at 12 that day) you have to take the shuttle to Largo della Pace and then the one to the HAL ship.

The shuttles might call more than one ship but not from the ship to Largo della Pace during the peak hours (like in the morning as the busses are filled up at the ship). The busses from Largo della Pace might take passengers of more than one ships but I haven´t seen that yet.

steamboats

I think that this is a decision you make on the day.  It won’t be that difficult.  If you wake up in the morning and see where your HAL ship is, you will get your luggage and make your way there.  If not, you get the shuttle out of the port and then back in.  

You will have plenty of time to work it out on the day.  There is not a lot to do in Civitavecchia for you to want to leave the port.  It sounds as if you are not wanting to rush into Rome on this day.  Tarquinia is a nice day trip from Civitavecchia but it would be muddling what could be such an easy transfer.