A couple of quick questions before sailing in 5 days!

Nevada Jen

(Not that I am counting down or anything ;))

I got Cheers for my upcoming cruise on Panorama.  We have a lot of sea days and I think I will cover it with non alcoholic beverages (in addition to my alcoholic ones).  Last cruise, I did not quite understand how to get the bottled water and sports drinks that are covered under Cheers. I am going to need to bottled water to make iced tea to stave off the caffeine headaches because I don't drink pepsi product or drink coffee.  Where do you get the bottled water covered by Cheers from?  

Next Question:  I have a 14 year old I would like to get moved up to the older kids club group.  How do I go about trying to make that happen?

37 minutes ago, Nevada Jen said:

(Not that I am counting down or anything ;))

I got Cheers for my upcoming cruise on Panorama.  We have a lot of sea days and I think I will cover it with non alcoholic beverages (in addition to my alcoholic ones).  Last cruise, I did not quite understand how to get the bottled water and sports drinks that are covered under Cheers. I am going to need to bottled water to make iced tea to stave off the caffeine headaches because I don't drink pepsi product or drink coffee.  Where do you get the bottled water covered by Cheers from?  

Next Question:  I have a 14 year old I would like to get moved up to the older kids club group.  How do I go about trying to make that happen?

Since your water question has been answered, I'll take the second one. On embarkation day, they have a check-in time for Circle C (that's the teen club). Check your Funtimes for those hours. Even though you have to register them for the club, they don't have a sign in/sign out policy. They can come and go as they please.

48 minutes ago, Nevada Jen said:

I have a 14 year old I would like to get moved up to the older kids club group.  How do I go about trying to make that happen?

Very rarely do they allow moving up. You can go to them on embarkation and ask, but the odds are slim.

53 minutes ago, Nevada Jen said:

Moving either up or down from her age group will be a problem ....  

I am aware it will be hard to move him up but I at least have to try.  He is 6 feet tall and in his second year of high school.  Hopefully they retain some amount of discretion to make decisions on a case by case basis.  I doubt the 6th grade girl parents want him in Circle C either!  So you just go ask when you get on board, before the first night get together?  Do you go to the club check in you belong in by age or the one you are hoping to move up to?

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Nevada Jen said:

I am aware it will be hard to move him up but I at least have to try.  He is 6 feet tall and in his second year of high school.  Hopefully they retain some amount of discretion to make decisions on a case by case basis.  I doubt the 6th grade girl parents want him in Circle C either!  So you just go ask when you get on board, before the first night get together?  Do you go to the club check in you belong in by age or the one you are hoping to move up to?

My apologies. I misunderstood your question. I thought you meant you wanted to "move him up" as in he hasn't cruised since he was in Camp Ocean and you wanted to know the process for the older group. It's worth a shot to ask, but it's not likely they will place him with a group outside of his age range. I've heard of people asking because they want to keep siblings together or their child is "advanced mentally" and they've always said no. They verify the DOB when you register them. 

As far as moving your child up, when u go the 1st night to sign him up in his correct class ask them, it will depend how many kids are signed up for the older group and if your child likes a month or 2 turning the next age to move up, my son just turned 14 last feb cruised in march they let him move up also when we cruised I. June moved him up. He is like your son freashman and a tall kid looks 17

It appears to vary a lot as to whether you can move up to the "older" group.  On our last cruise in August, we were able to move my son up to Club O2 to be with his sister, even though he was just short of a year too young.  However he is tall for his age and could pass for a year or two older than he is.  The youth director made it contingent on his good behavior and that he would be "demoted" if he cause any problems.  I have no idea on whether Club O2 was under capacity for that cruise or not.

Both of us went with both kids to Club O2 to ask in person on the first night, and being respectful instead of demanding can't hurt either.  But be prepared for the decision to not go your way.

19 hours ago, Nevada Jen said:

depends on a lot of factors-   when will he turn 15.?    and when is your sailing?   If prime family time there will be tons of kids on the ship     Age restrictions are rather strict    (this age group tends to hang out together instead of doing group actitivies

Go to orientation the first night to see if it can be done.  Make no promises to the kids.     

I don't intend to demand.  I will do my best not to desperately beg.  He will be 5 months short of 15.  He has been on two cruises in Circle C, so he know what he is talking about that he says they are much younger than him.  15 seems a weird cut off.  That almost always means they are putting high school freshman together with 6th graders.  That's a real big experience gap.  But I don't need to convince you guys!  I need to convince carnival.

• Like 1

On 12/16/2019 at 2:10 PM, jbethel11 said:

Very rarely do they allow moving up. You can go to them on embarkation and ask, but the odds are slim.

I have moved my child up on 2 different cruises without any issues.  Once she was going to turn 6 in 1.5 months and they moved her to the 6-9 yr old group and then again when she was 11 (would turn 12 4 months later) they moved her to the 12-14 yr old age group.

Both event I went to the club I wanted her moved to on the first day and there were no issue.  I heard it could depend on how many kids were in each age group already so maybe we lucked out?  Once was a spring break cruise though so there were lots of kids.

4 hours ago, Nevada Jen said:

I don't intend to demand.  I will do my best not to desperately beg.  He will be 5 months short of 15.  He has been on two cruises in Circle C, so he know what he is talking about that he says they are much younger than him.  15 seems a weird cut off.  That almost always means they are putting high school freshman together with 6th graders.  That's a real big experience gap.  But I don't need to convince you guys!  I need to convince carnival.

My daughter has a late summer birthday so that was what I was thinking too - 2 months shy of 6 she had already completed K, so putting her with 2-5 year old would have been too young.  Same thing when she was 11 (almost 12), she was at the end of 6th grade and would have been with 3-5th graders.  Such a difference in maturity.  Hopefully they do allow him to move up.