Kids Sail Free is a joke

stellgod

Back when my kids were younger in 90's was no KSF, wasnt but few cabins for 3/4 AND many times 3/4 passenger was lot more then 1/2. I remember at times 1/2 was $799ea and 3/4 was $1099ea or higher. Fortunate for many Kids around US actually have many different dates off school. Unfortunately doesnt work out for everyone. But Sales by a for profit Business are not always fair

Our school district has a week long fall break (usually 2nd week in October).  I'm sure there are other school districts across the country who do the same.  

You want a joke?  My son turned 16 a couple months ago, so we went to get him his DL permit.  You can only get permits between 1p and 3p Mon, Tuesday, and Thursday.  That's when kids are in school.  Heaven forbid they take at least one day where they're open until 5.  Nope, pull them out of school (or wait for a day off from school).  I think it's safe to say the majority of people getting their permits are probably 16 and presumably still in school. 

• Like 2

When my kids were younger we took them our of school about once every other year for a vacation. Usually, we found a time when they had a long weekend  or two long weekends in a row so that they only missed a couple of days. While it was nice to have the less expensive travel that wasn't the main reason we did it. We mostly did it because that was when my husband could get off of work. Now that I have high schoolers and one in middler school all taking advanced honor and AP classes even missing half a day is hard to recover from. So we only travel during their breaks. Thankfully my husband is higher on the seniority list and it is now possible to get time off during those times.

But we still benefit from KSF offers. Our district is on a modified year round schedule so they have a  2 1/2 week break end of September/early October. Their spring break overlaps popular spring break times so it isn't easy to find deals then, but they finish the school year around May 20th so before the peak summer pricing. 

We had zero qualms pulling our kids out of school for a week in Jan/Feb while they were still in elementary school. My husband also rarely gets ‘peak’ travel/vacation time off, so something like this would have worked perfectly for us. 

• Like 1

I see your point, I think all of RCCL promos are a joke... But, regardless of the sale, I do take my daughter out of school one week a year for vacation (she's in 8th grade now). Sometimes it's a cruise, sometime's it's not. Our school district just has parents fill out a form and she always gets the school work she will miss ahead of time to work on while flying/sitting in airports. Of course I feel that school is important but traveling and experiencing other countries is a life experience you can't learn in the classroom, so I don't feel any guilt over one week of missed school. Not everyone will agree with that and that's okay (please don't parent shame me 🙂).

While young kids can be pulled out of nursery school, older one's not so easy nor best for them - but you can typically get a great discount for a third or fourth guest sharing a stateroom.  Also, different states and districts are off at different times so some can take advantage of the sales.

I noticed that many people from other countries are on the ship at different times of the year as their school calendar is different.  You should also consider a more affordable stateroom if on a budget for a particular cruise.  Love the Central Park view staterooms.

You will pay less with a 30% discount bringing two children.  

Edited by Cruise a holic

We wanted to do a cruise out of NJ, but the regular prices were crazy. So we held out for the KSF sale and just thought we would see what was available. We lucked out because our school start tends to be slightly later than some of the US. So we grabbed last week of August at a lower fare than other weeks, plus KSF. It's about the only time we can take advantage of any deal, since DW works in education and doesn't get any time off during school that isn't shared with every other family.

I would agree though that most of RC's sale prices aren't much different than similar cruises on other lines. As for the rest, I just figure we aren't their target market.

3 hours ago, stellgod said:

You bring up a good point, but how many would you say that is though? When your marketing is only applicable to 2% of your targeted audience, would you really say it's effective?

I don't think they want the other 98% sailing free.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 3monkeys4me said:

When my kids were younger we took them our of school about once every other year for a vacation. Usually, we found a time when they had a long weekend  or two long weekends in a row so that they only missed a couple of days. While it was nice to have the less expensive travel that wasn't the main reason we did it. We mostly did it because that was when my husband could get off of work. Now that I have high schoolers and one in middler school all taking advanced honor and AP classes even missing half a day is hard to recover from. So we only travel during their breaks. Thankfully my husband is higher on the seniority list and it is now possible to get time off during those times.

But we still benefit from KSF offers. Our district is on a modified year round schedule so they have a  2 1/2 week break end of September/early October. Their spring break overlaps popular spring break times so it isn't easy to find deals then, but they finish the school year around May 20th so before the peak summer pricing. 

We take ours out labor day week every year for Disney.  We'll see when they get older if it's still doable, but it hasn't been an issue at all so far.

Edited by BNBR

8 minutes ago, BNBR said:

We take ours out labor day week every year for Disney.  We'll see when they get older if it's still doable, but it hasn't been an issue at all so far.

It wasn't an issue at all for us until my daughter started 9th grade. Then everything changed. In part, it is because of the track she has chosen since she is working on completing an AA degree at the same time. And she is graduating high school in 3 years instead of 4 so her class load is tough. Like right now she is taking an Ap chem class, a college statistics class and honors calculous. My son's workload is a bit easier so he could probably recover if he took a day or two off, but for him the issue is missing sports practice. Luckily they have 3 extended breaks a year plus6 weeks in the summer so we can travel for fun during one school break and we visit family during the other two. 

2 hours ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

Our school district has a week long fall break (usually 2nd week in October).  I'm sure there are other school districts across the country who do the same.  

You want a joke?  My son turned 16 a couple months ago, so we went to get him his DL permit.  You can only get permits between 1p and 3p Mon, Tuesday, and Thursday.  That's when kids are in school.  Heaven forbid they take at least one day where they're open until 5.  Nope, pull them out of school (or wait for a day off from school).  I think it's safe to say the majority of people getting their permits are probably 16 and presumably still in school. 

I'm having the same issue with getting my kids passports! Post Office only open 9-2 M-F in my town ha!

24 minutes ago, stellgod said:

I'm having the same issue with getting my kids passports! Post Office only open 9-2 M-F in my town ha!

You can go to the State Dept website and search by your zip code for passport application facilities. In many cities, the Clerk of Courts title offices can also do them. You should look up your municipality and call one of the offices to see if you can schedule a passport appointment with them. Maybe better hours for your schedule.

We have used KSF and mostly travel during school one week per year. Much cheaper and less crowded. Here in Ohio, everyone does it and it’s not taboo to take time off, especially for parents with kids in elementary school. When kids are older I am sure we will no longer be able to travel in February anymore.

6 hours ago, stellgod said:

I understand what everyone is saying, but it's still a joke. What dates do you expect parents to actually use? It's a marketing gimmick to get people on the website. I'm not saying it's wrong, but it's a joke.

I just thought I'd share the laugh with everyone else.

Hope you enjoy the entirely plausible and the rich heritage attached with the annual Black Friday sales too.

• Haha 1

Our November and April school vacation periods are both eligible for KSF.   That being said - I have pulled my kids out of school for vacations (usually Disney) for a decade now - so In not sure I can appreciate your question.   I am not a teacher so my vacation time is not tied to school vacations.  We go when it’s good for DH and I...

First let me say , l love cruising!!!! I am also a high school advanced math teacher, so I can only cruise during breaks. I have no problems with families taking time out for vacations of any kind, however some students can handle it and others can not. One day might not hurt, but a week may mean missing two to four lessons. Please check that your students are not taking any state tests when they are going to miss. Its a nightmare to make those up. Happy cruising to all!!!

5 hours ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

My kids always had midwinter break over Presidents Day week, 1st week APR was always Spring Break. We always did Vacation in Feb. For while School started after Labor Day, then last 20yrs been 3rd week of Aug. Now My Grandkids do year round school in Arizona. Start school yr 3rd week July(110 degrees), have 2 weeks off Oct, 3.5-4weeks off Xmas, 2 weeks in March and done by week after Mothers Day. 7week summer break. They all get every Wed afternoon off, in Michigan local District gets every Wed Morning off. Guess they are supposed do every Dr appt during the time off...

Edited by ONECRUISER

On 12/18/2019 at 10:22 AM, blackshirt said:

For someone with preschoolers or home schoolers are anyone just willing to take their kids out of school to take advantage of the sale, I’d say it’s not a joke to them.

Exactly.  I don't homeschool to get this type of perk but you can bet I take advantage of them. We were in Bermuda just before Thanksgiving.  I was a little concerned about there being no kids but there were plenty & my son had a blast in the kids club with them.

• 2 weeks later...

There are many people from the U.S. that pull their kids out of school for a week to take advantage of the kids sail free.Not to mention that if it was during school recesses, people would be complaining about too many kids. A no win situation for Royal.

On 12/18/2019 at 9:18 AM, stellgod said:

I understand what everyone is saying, but it's still a joke. What dates do you expect parents to actually use? It's a marketing gimmick to get people on the website. I'm not saying it's wrong, but it's a joke.

why on earth would they offer KSF for dates that they have no problems filling berths with kids?

it would make 0 business sense to offer KSF during school breaks-

lets say you own a bar that is packed to the gills Friday and Saturday but very slow on Sunday and Monday.

what nights would you offer discounted drinks?

Edited by proggieus
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 12/18/2019 at 10:18 AM, stellgod said:

I feel your pain.  It is kind of like when you have a coupon and once you look at the exclusions,

ya just end up frustrated and toss out the coupon.