LIVE: Dec 23 2019, Solstice, 12 Night Holiday New Zealand Cruise

mahdnc

59C08090-2C44-4066-A057-E0CC1432DFDC.jpeg

The sun did come out after all during our port stop at Dunedin. By 11:30 am overcast skies gave way to partly cloudy skies to bathe Dunedin in sunlight that it hadn't seen in days. In fact that seemed to be the theme for the cruise--that our arrival brought much needed and welcomed sunny weather to every port we visited!

CE85CD36-1032-4F48-B337-52DA900DDB4E.jpeg

Getting off at port went smoothly at Port Chalmers (Dunedin). There is a very large building that served as a cruise terminal wherewe meet our tour guide. 

780D7771-4D44-45B2-932F-7ED3AA6CB0B9.jpeg

Our tour principally consisted of visiting the Albatross Center and then going to a secluded private beach to see sea lions, seals, and a rare penguin. 

BE4E00C6-A933-4B23-ABF6-54ABA0516D7F.jpeg

Edited by mahdnc
  • Like 2

@lovedecruise, I haven’t forgotten. It’s just that it’s difficult to figure it out in a credible way.  I am not on a deck that has Concierge Cabins or I would ask a passenger as I bumped into them or even a cabin steward.

My thoughts are to ask the Concierge at his desk or see if I can tell by looking at the balconies while standing outside the ship. 

i haven’t given up and will look into it. 

1248D110-47AC-4373-9E8C-4A41943C8364.jpeg

Edited by mahdnc

Weather looks good for our cruise to Milford Sound tomorrow!. The Captain said we will run into 11 foot seas tonight as we make our way there. 

7F5F42E6-D0A6-42C4-8765-780A51A0F8D4.jpeg

Edited by mahdnc

2 minutes ago, lovedecruise said:

Thank you so much.  I don't want to distract you from enjoying your cruise though.  Looking  at the photo, it is quite hard to tell if there are footstools there.

I don't mind doing it

Good morning. Its New Year's Eve morning and we're going to spend it sailing through the fjords (sounds) today. 

It is windy which is causing waves and white caps, but the sailing is smooth. 

4D13528C-9738-458F-8C0A-790966E298EC.jpeg

C135975B-8F19-4862-BA67-99F1BDE69E8C.jpeg

Edited by mahdnc

The naturalist on board is Susan Hazlett. She will be narrating during our sailing through the sounds. She also is a Cruise Critic member and was on this sailing's roll call.

Edited by mahdnc

10 hours ago, lovedecruise said:

Am really enjoying your review.  Can't wait to board the Solstice on the 4th.  Just wondered if you had had a chance to check out whether there are still footstools in Concierge and Aqua Staterooms?  Many thanks, and enjoy the rest of your cruise.

About an hour ago I stopped by Decks 10 and 11 and talked to a stateroom attendant on each deck. They both confirmed that foot stools are on the balconies in all Concierge Class and Aqua Class cabins

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, mahdnc said:

About an hour ago I stopped by Decks 10 and 11 and talked to a stateroom attendant on each deck. They both confirmed that foot stools are on the balconies in all Concierge Class and Aqua Class cabins

Thank you so much for going to all that trouble.  That's great news. 

Finally, I have one more question, could you please tell me what shows are they performing at the moment.

Enjoy your cruise through the Sounds. 

7 minutes ago, Prost Seattle said:

With the 11’ SEA’s was it noticeable on the ship?  I’ll be in open waters for 5 days from Vancouver to Hawai’i.

The ship sailed smoothly thru them

13 hours ago, mahdnc said:

The MDR did not have a special dinner menu for Christmas Eve nor Christmas. I don't know about lunch, but I doubt it. 

A special Christmas Eve dinner menu was put together for Murano. There was special pricing for it, too, at $120 USD pp. This is also true for New Year's Eve. The special dinner was advertised for advanced purchase in our Cruise Planner. 

Thanks for the reply 🙂

2 hours ago, lovedecruise said:

Thank you so much for going to all that trouble.  That's great news. 

Finally, I have one more question, could you please tell me what shows are they performing at the moment.

Enjoy your cruise through the Sounds. 

You are welcome and it was no trouble as I made the inquiry when I was walking to the Oceanview Cafe for breakfast this morning. 

As far as tonight's show (New Year's Eve), here is what is playing:

1CA04958-D187-40F3-99FD-AEA0547E9548.jpeg

Edited by mahdnc

David-

Your travelogue was fabulous.  That trip is still on my bucket list.  Thanks so much for sharing.

We board Reflection on Jan. 9 using our FCC and stay on through Jan. 31.  It's our first B2B and the substitute for the cancelled 14 night cruise.

Best wishes for a wonderful 2020 to you and your family.

Lynn

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, baypeople said:

David-

Your travelogue was fabulous.  That trip is still on my bucket list.  Thanks so much for sharing.

We board Reflection on Jan. 9 using our FCC and stay on through Jan. 31.  It's our first B2B and the substitute for the cancelled 14 night cruise.

Best wishes for a wonderful 2020 to you and your family.

Lynn

Thank you. It's too bad that we won't be on the Silhouette cruise together. Have fun on your Reflection B2B!

Melissa Martinez, our charming Captain's Club Hostess, in her natural habitat!  According to Melissa, there are 254 Elite and Elite Plus on this sailing. No Zeniths. 

429B1DDC-648E-42DD-8F10-C9358AD3D9C7.jpeg

Edited by mahdnc

Today is a very busy day. We sail through beautiful sounds during the day. And then celebrate New Year's Eve tonight!

We've seen two sounds already and we're waiting for famed Milford Sound. So we're taking a break to attend this afternoon show. 

B4AAC8FD-F5E3-4BA4-B2F6-78ED160F5115.jpeg

CCCFBDD3-BF9D-4B82-9BC4-8FA25E44D385.jpeg

Edited by mahdnc