LIVE: Dec 23 2019, Solstice, 12 Night Holiday New Zealand Cruise

mahdnc

1 hour ago, mahdnc said:

Today is a very busy day. We sail through beautiful sounds during the day. And then celebrate New Year's Eve tonight!

We've seen two sounds already and we're waiting for famed Milford Sound. So we're taking a break to attend this afternoon show. 

B4AAC8FD-F5E3-4BA4-B2F6-78ED160F5115.jpeg

CCCFBDD3-BF9D-4B82-9BC4-8FA25E44D385.jpeg

I hope that is on when I'm on as well.  They had a similar Beyond the Podium speaker in March 2018 and had him on at silly times like breakfast.  I ended up missing them as when I am away from teaching I like to have a sleep-in for a bit.

One subject I teach is Forensic Science and how it is different to the TV shows they see so this would be really good.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Suzi66 said:

One subject I teach is Forensic Science and how it is different to the TV shows they see so this would be really good.

Our youngest son is taking Forensic Science now, and loving it! His dad just retired as an arson investigator, and will soon be a guest speaker in class. My dad is a retired homicide detective. As soon as I saw this listed, I thought how much I'd love to see it and share it with my son. 

I will encourage him to take at least one FS class in college. 

• Like 1

Some more shots of Milford Sound. I was surprised how much more spectacular it was compared to Dusky and Doubtful Sounds. 

This picture was taken after Solstice turned around to leave:

31C295C1-912E-427D-B06A-0ACE804E3B5F.thumb.jpeg.e240c306a8a7fcba1b2313186e01f5f9.jpeg

The weather was perfect. We had lots of sun and beautiful low hanging clouds. 

B1F6BBB7-8BC4-4FAA-BD94-C6DB7BCACDB8.jpeg

The cliffs towered over the ship. 

2929F91F-56C5-4623-B982-2D441871922D.jpeg

Here's a picture looking aft as we were exiting Milford Sound. What a day!

F1644CA0-F150-46C0-A9D2-5D1DA2587C58.jpeg

Edited by mahdnc
  • Like 4

7C45D36B-F310-4F49-A14E-195A4FAD8BE0.jpeg

I stepped away and didn't see it, but my son told me that the count down in the Grand Foyer was a disaster. It was performed two minutes late and the balloons did not drop correctly. At first they wouldn't come out of the net that was suspended above the crowd. Then one end of the net detached and the whole thing swung down towards the crowd. I'm sorry I missed it!

Edited by mahdnc

One nice thing about this itinerary is that we will get an extra hour of sleep on NYE night because the ship's clock will be set back an hour. 

And we get another extra hour of sleep on the night of Jan 1. 

53 minutes ago, countess5 said:

Happy New Year and thank you for your posting!

Were the waterfalls running while you were in Milford Sound? 

When we were on Ovation the Captain did a 360 in the middle of the Sound, was spectacular! 

Cheers! 

There were four waterfalls that I remember seeing in Milford Sound including the one in this picture below. 

The Captain did not spin Solstice before leaving. 

DC276BF7-13FD-4CDD-9D44-2286534915E0.jpeg

Happy New Year to You...sorry the balloon drop failed...but a festive night anyhow.

We are hours away from tonight's  ball drop in NYC... but we stay close to home with a very early family dinner out....getting off the roads before the drinkers get out there!

Latest group of photos are fantastic. Excellent composition....feels like we are there!

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, hopeless holiday booker said:

Happy New Year.  Your review is fabulous.  We've just booked for 2021!  If you have a balcony, do you think it matters what side you're on - obviously being at the back would be best I assume!

Yes, we do have a balcony and it's on the port (left) side of the ship. 

Because Solstice is largely doing a clockwise circle around New Zealand, the starboard balcony is better than the port side balcony. Also every NZ port that we docked at, the starboard side had the view of the port. 

As far as viewing the Sounds go, I would agree that the aft facing cabins to be the best. And that starboard side was better than port. 

Our first lousy day of weather but the timing is good because we are on our first of two sea days heading back to Australia.

The ride is pretty smooth though. 

C0186519-CBDF-4427-BE2E-9EEF89766298.jpeg

758E4A70-41AF-4FB0-980C-ECF6DB293716.jpeg

Edited by mahdnc

Just now, mahdnc said:

Our first lousy day of weather but the timing is good because we are on our first of two sea days heading back to Australia.

Enjoy the clean, fresh air while you can. It's such a shame what parts of Australia are going through with the wildfires (says the wife of a recently retired firefighter). 

Thanks so much for the live report! We are looking forward to our Aus, NZ, South Pacific vacations in 2020 and 2021.

10 hours ago, mahdnc said:

Yes, we do have a balcony and it's on the port (left) side of the ship. 

Because Solstice is largely doing a clockwise circle around New Zealand, the starboard balcony is better than the port side balcony. Also every NZ port that we docked at, the starboard side had the view of the port. 

As far as viewing the Sounds go, I would agree that the aft facing cabins to be the best. And that starboard side was better than port. 

I'll interject my perspective.  I'll almost always choose starboard balconies to avoid being above the smoking areas on deck 5.  However if there really is a benefit to the port side, I'll select balconies forward of the lifeboats so that you are not above the open areas on Deck 5.  I also like those balconies because you can look directly down at the water.

Thanks for the great review.

After being held in check all day, the sun is fighting back late in the afternoon to make an appearance. 

DB02E86F-D097-4E53-864A-9334CDA90526.jpeg

We are almost half way to Newcastle. We are scheduled to be there by day after tomorrow. 

1701F774-42D7-4240-A756-BED5A11336AD.jpeg

Edited by mahdnc

Elite Happy Hour, as always, had a decent turnout at the Sky Lounge today (picture). 

Yesterday, because we were sailing through Milford Sound in the late afternoon, the Sky Lounge did not have a reserved area set aside during the Happy Hour. 

4A8AD14D-6823-4BFF-8636-E1E2F4F7F552.jpeg

44 minutes ago, mahdnc said:

We are almost half way to Newcastle. We are scheduled to be there by day after tomorrow. 

I’m sure you have already have plans for Newcastle, but I can highly recommend a day trip to Port Stephens to others planning this trip - twice the size of Sydney Harbour, dolphin cruises, the largest sand dunes in the southern hemisphere, sand boarding, camel rides and spectacular beaches. 

• Like 1