Trying to decide on SeaDream

Stolibear

I have just placed a hold on a Caribbean itinerary in  April 2021 on SeaDream II to celebrate a milestone birthday.  I have been on Silversea and Seabourn as well as a private yacht charter.  SeaDream sounds right up our alley but I have just a few concerns.

1) The condition of the yacht.  I've read often how "tired" and "beat up" both yachts are.  Can anyone clarify this for me?  

2) Areas to relax on various decks - are there enough chairs and loungers to accommodate everyone on board?  Is there the issue with shirts, books  

and hats tossed on loungers and chairs to hold them only to never see a soul in any of them?  We spend a lot of time on board just relaxing so this

could be a huge deal breaker for me.

3) Selections of spirits, wine & champagne - Even if it's an upcharge for a premium brand, are there multiple selections available?  

Any and all additional input would be so much appreciated.

Edited by Stolibear

I can answer the question about loungers,  I have never seen anyone hog them with books.  There has never been an issue for us finding a place to sit anywhere on the ship.   

it’s been a few years since my last cruise on SeaDream, so I’ll let someone else answer the rest.

10 hours ago, Stolibear said:

I have just placed a hold on a Caribbean itinerary in  April 2021 on SeaDream II to celebrate a milestone birthday.  I have been on Silversea and Seabourn as well as a private yacht charter.  SeaDream sounds right up our alley but I have just a few concerns.

1) The condition of the yacht.  I've read often how "tired" and "beat up" both yachts are.  Can anyone clarify this for me?  

2) Areas to relax on various decks - are there enough chairs and loungers to accommodate everyone on board?  Is there the issue with shirts, books  

and hats tossed on loungers and chairs to hold them only to never see a soul in any of them?  We spend a lot of time on board just relaxing so this

could be a huge deal breaker for me.

3) Selections of spirits, wine & champagne - Even if it's an upcharge for a premium brand, are there multiple selections available?  

Any and all additional input would be so much appreciated.

Hi. 

In regards to point 1: SeaDream II is going into drydock in April 2020 for refurbishment. 

2. No issue at all. It seems like it is more sun beds than people. Remember the Balinese beds on the top deck. There are also sun beds on the front of the top deck. 

3. Plenty of comp and upcharge selections. Last time i was onboard we never felt the need for buying additional spirits. We did buy the occational bottle of wine, but that was more because we wanted that brand. The comp wines are good and matched to that nights menu. 

Stolibear,

I think of the examples you mentioned you have sailed you would find SD closest to the yacht charter.  We have not sailed Silversea but understand there are "Formal Nights" of some sort.  Not on SD.  Everyone dresses nicely for cocktail hour and dinner but no heavy formal gear or suits needed.  We sailed Seabourn Sojourn last Summer and I would say SeaDream is superior in every way other than having balconies.  SD will also remind you of a private yacht in size.  The cabins, and especially the baths, are "cozy" but very nicely appointed.  I have never noticed SD as shabby looking but in all reality, SD I was built in 1984 and SD II in 1985.  Cosmetically they have always been well maintained.  As a former ship captain I have always thought SD I & II have nice lines and imho they are very good sailing ships for their size.  Yes there is motion in larger seas but the motion is less bothersome than I have encountered on much larger ships.  We have been on other ships for a couple of years doing long distance stuff that SD does not offer but I have always said no one does the Caribbean better than SD.  We recently passed through the Caribbean on the way to South America and one of our highlights was taking the local boat from Tortola over to Jost van Dyke, our favorite spot in the Caribbean and frequent home to SeaDream's Champagne and Caviar Splash.  First time we have been to JVD and not seen SD anchored offshore.  As for food and drink, that has always been SeaDreams strong suit.  We found the included pours and wines to be as good or better than what we usually drink at home so, for us savages, it was great.  I believe, from your posting, SD will be a good fit.  As always though your mileage may vary.  Our only negatives on SD since 2004 has been a few cruises negatively impacted by kids onboard.  School holidays, Easter/Spring Break, and summers will most likely have some kids.  Imho, no ships out there scream for a "no kids" policy more than SD but the owner doesn't agree.  Still, we are planning a return to SD in the Caribbean in 2020.  All the best with your choice.🍸😎

23 hours ago, Jim Avery said:

Stolibear,

I think of the examples you mentioned you have sailed you would find SD closest to the yacht charter.  We have not sailed Silversea but understand there are "Formal Nights" of some sort.  Not on SD.  Everyone dresses nicely for cocktail hour and dinner but no heavy formal gear or suits needed.  We sailed Seabourn Sojourn last Summer and I would say SeaDream is superior in every way other than having balconies.  SD will also remind you of a private yacht in size.  The cabins, and especially the baths, are "cozy" but very nicely appointed.  I have never noticed SD as shabby looking but in all reality, SD I was built in 1984 and SD II in 1985.  Cosmetically they have always been well maintained.  As a former ship captain I have always thought SD I & II have nice lines and imho they are very good sailing ships for their size.  Yes there is motion in larger seas but the motion is less bothersome than I have encountered on much larger ships.  We have been on other ships for a couple of years doing long distance stuff that SD does not offer but I have always said no one does the Caribbean better than SD.  We recently passed through the Caribbean on the way to South America and one of our highlights was taking the local boat from Tortola over to Jost van Dyke, our favorite spot in the Caribbean and frequent home to SeaDream's Champagne and Caviar Splash.  First time we have been to JVD and not seen SD anchored offshore.  As for food and drink, that has always been SeaDreams strong suit.  We found the included pours and wines to be as good or better than what we usually drink at home so, for us savages, it was great.  I believe, from your posting, SD will be a good fit.  As always though your mileage may vary.  Our only negatives on SD since 2004 has been a few cruises negatively impacted by kids onboard.  School holidays, Easter/Spring Break, and summers will most likely have some kids.  Imho, no ships out there scream for a "no kids" policy more than SD but the owner doesn't agree.  Still, we are planning a return to SD in the Caribbean in 2020.  All the best with your choice.🍸😎

Thank you so much for your thorough overview.  SD definitely sounds like a fit.  We loved the private charter and like the idea that this could/would be similar.  We were also recently on the Sojourn in October which is my favorite ship of all thus far, so if "SeaDream is superior in every way other than having balconies", that is fantastic to hear.  Going for it and booking 🙂.  Fingers crossed the dates will be late enough to avoid spring break and the potential children issue. Thanks so much for your input.