Pretty weak drinks on Getaway?

cebee123

Was on the Getaway last week and had the “free at sea” drink package...and I wondered if they even bothered to put alcohol in a lot of the drinks. I’m admittedly a lightweight when it comes to alcohol...and either suddenly developed an amazing tolerance for alcohol, or almost every drink was really watered down. 

Did anyone else feel that way? If I were “paying “ by the drink, I would have been very unhappy with what basically amounted to smoothies and milkshakes. 

Do they have different “drinks” for the drink package people vs those who are paying by the drink? 

Personally I was ok with it since I actually remember the whole cruise...

On the Bliss and Escape I've never had a weak drink.  On the Getaway and Breakaway the drinks are usually ok on the first day and after that they get REAL weak.  Last sept on the Breakaway I was knocking back way more cocktails than I can usually tolerate and barely getting a buzz... that's not normal for me.

• Like 1

Premixed stuff seemed less potent. But I've watched them make the premade stuff on some mornings and they definitely add liquor. Maybe it just settles. Other stuff seemed pretty strong to me. If your drink seems weak, just go back to any bar and ask for a  straight shot of rum, or tequila, or vodka, etc. Add it to the weak drink and you're all set.

Edited by blcruising
  • Like 2

In my experience, since most everyone has the drink package on an NCL cruise, they seem to do heavier pours just to keep people from coming back as frequently. People coming back for more means more work for them! They will also just make anything a double if you ask.

• Like 2

Yeah, just ask for a double or don't get the pre-mixed ones.  You can watch them pour the alcohol in, so you know what you're getting.

Different bartenders will also pour differently.  Last week some of them would put a shot of rum in a daquiri and mix it.  Some would double up, then put another on top when they were done.

• Like 1

The frozen drinks can be hit or miss. They're not purposefully pouring short, but they often make several at a time in the blender and doesn't always shake out to the same in each glass. Ask for a floater if you really want. Non frozen drinks are always strong to me. 

Also, a lot of people eat more or more frequently on cruises which can effect how the alcohol hits you. 

4 hours ago, cebee123 said:

Was on the Getaway last week and had the “free at sea” drink package...and I wondered if they even bothered to put alcohol in a lot of the drinks. I’m admittedly a lightweight when it comes to alcohol...and either suddenly developed an amazing tolerance for alcohol, or almost every drink was really watered down. 

Did anyone else feel that way? If I were “paying “ by the drink, I would have been very unhappy with what basically amounted to smoothies and milkshakes. 

Do they have different “drinks” for the drink package people vs those who are paying by the drink? 

Personally I was ok with it since I actually remember the whole cruise...

Always order your drink with a floater. My Bahama Mama always gets her floater of Myers, naked without it !!

We had the drink package on the Escape in October, (and previous times) and we certainly had plenty of liquor in our drinks.  In fact, a couple of the mojitos were actually too strong.  

If you have the drink package, and want a stronger drink, ask for a double (or double shot of liquor).  The drink package allows either two drinks per person at a time, or a double.

They were never that weak for us. Only a few times, but honestly even in those cases I wasn't too concerned because the cost for the Drink Package as a free at sea perk was still worth it compared to other cruise lines. I will say some nights in Bliss Ultra Lounge we were leaving nice tips for some bartenders and at that point they would load our drinks up!

9 hours ago, stefmaia said:

Always order your drink with a floater. My Bahama Mama always gets her floater of Myers, naked without it !!

MMM...my fave.  Will definitely get them to add the floater on the next cruise in March.

I ordered a Margarita on the rocks at O'Sheehan's bar. I didn't realize that they were "on tap". I thought it was awful. Asked the bartender if she could give me a fresh made Margarita. Whoa! That was one strong drink!

Regarding Margaritas - have them float some Grand Marnier on top. Yum.