Has anyone tried removing the auto-gratuity on MSC?

WAMarathoner

" The Hotel Service charge serves to ensure we maintain the highest quality standards of service to our guests. The daily amounts below have been calculated with this in mind and cannot be modified. However, should you wish to remove any of the daily Hotel Service Charge in the unlikely event that you do not receive satisfactory service, you may do so by contacting the Guest Relations Manager onboard. "

It's called a service charge here.  I'd prefer to choose where the tips go.  (Yeah, yeah, we've all run through the arguments in other threads.)  Just want to know if anyone has done it and whether it was a PITA or not.  Thanks.

6 hours ago, WAMarathoner said:

Just want to know if anyone has done it and whether it was a PITA or not.  Thanks.

I guess it depends on how much much of a pain you're willing to accept. Though I have never even considered removing tips because I consider it taking money out of the pockets of the hardworking staff all over the ship trying to provide you an excellent vacation, I have had clients that had them removed. Depending on the staff onboard, you may have to have a meeting with the Guest Relations Manager to explain your dissatisfaction so they can try and make it right. Another set of staff made it simpler by just filling out a form. The catch? You had to get it from your stateroom attendant. So you are basically looking them in the eye and letting them you know you plan on screwing them over. And no, they don't believe "I'll give you cash at the end" line either (even if you really are going to). Kinda like "The check's in the mail" thing.

These two scenarios were only on the Divina in the Caribbean. Can't speak for what has been done elsewhere. And no, I'm not trying to judge anyone. To each their own on tipping. I personally like the auto-grats so I don't have to worry about cash, but I realize others do not and as you said, like to choose where the tips go.

Bret 

Edited by cruiseguyinorl
  • Like 5

8 hours ago, WAMarathoner said:

It's called a service charge here.  I'd prefer to choose where the tips go.  (Yeah, yeah, we've all run through the arguments in other threads.)  Just want to know if anyone has done it and whether it was a PITA or not.  Thanks.

While I find it maximum unfair to the staff to delete the DSC and tip "individually" by ignoring the MSC policy, you certainly can do whatever you want. At the guests relations desk they are not even allowed to ask the passenger why he wants to remove the charge because it violates european law. They could ask an American, but they probably will not make a difference here. 

More of a PITA getting it added back on! Mine was removed even though I did not want to remove it and they would not accept I did not do it!

We Just got back from Fantasia and had a real pain with our old deluxe package and kept having to go to customer services to get incorrect charges removed.

The day before our final day I tried to get some charges removed before the final day, I went back at lunch as some more charges had been added, when I got a print off the Service Charge of $200 had been removed and I asked why, I was told I had requested it in the morning, I kept saying I had not but they would not accept it and as good as called me a liar, in the end I just said "fine." and walked off.

I then got my wallet out and started tipping all those who had been really nice and I walked off with a $0 account balance.

I have never removed a DSC in my life (and still have not really), but I have to say it was quite nice rewarding people individually.

With all this said, it appears to be very easy to remove the DSC

1 hour ago, ziggyuk said:

More of a PITA getting it added back on! Mine was removed even though I did not want to remove it and they would not accept I did not do it!...

The day before our final day I tried to get some charges removed before the final day, I went back at lunch as some more charges had been added, when I got a print off the Service Charge of $200 had been removed and I asked why, I was told I had requested it in the morning, I kept saying I had not but they would not accept it and as good as called me a liar...

With all this said, it appears to be very easy to remove the DSC

I had the exact same thing happen on Divina.  I happened to be checking my account and noticed a large credit, I went to guest services and was told I had asked for DSC to be removed.  When I said I hadn't they suggested maybe my spouse had done it.  It took days to get them to put it back on the account.

I've seen many people have them removed without question.

• Thanks 1

On 12/21/2019 at 6:59 AM, Jossie1960 said:

I have witnessed quite a few people in the Yacht Club approach the Concierge Desk and get the DSC removed without any hassle.

Thanks for answering the question.  That's exactly what I was asking.  Not for opinions on tipping, just whether it could be done on MSC.

I'll answer your question and not get on soapbox, yes you can remove the charges. It's relatively easy. Just go to guest services and tell them you want to remove them. They might ask you if you had a bad experience that is causing your request which is a whole lot less than the lecture you've gotten here. Just tell them your preference is to tip individually. They'll be ok with it. You won't be alone either. Lots of people do this.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Reds4life said:

I'll answer your question and not get on soapbox, yes you can remove the charges. It's relatively easy. Just go to guest services and tell them you want to remove them. 

Worth to add that -as far as I know- not all nationalities can remove the DSC. Actually I am very surprised that MSC allows the Americans to do this. 

On American ships the Europeans can remove and the Americans cannot, right?

13 hours ago, perakcruiser said:

Worth to add that -as far as I know- not all nationalities can remove the DSC. Actually I am very surprised that MSC allows the Americans to do this. 

We cruised out of Miami last May/June and we're American and were easily able to removed DSC. Just walked up to Guest Services and asked. As did quite a few people I observed. 

On 12/23/2019 at 4:18 AM, perakcruiser said:

If the cruise is booked through MSC UK or a UK TA then since june 24th 2019 the DSC is now included in the fare so no one who books this way need to ask for its removal

On 12/21/2019 at 9:44 AM, SirWolf said:

Really ? ...that is strange. We experienced the most attentive service in YC and tipped our butler and assistant butler in addition to DSC. On our past 3 cruises we had no reason to complain (except quality of dinner on Meraviglia) and have never considered to remove DSC.

On 12/22/2019 at 11:18 PM, perakcruiser said:

The same people who expect to be treated like royalty and have their butler run around like crazy for them