The Hidden Secrets of Norwegian Joy

wilmingtech

On 12/29/2019 at 11:47 AM, teacher/bartender said:

I was in that long long line on embarkation day!  I’ve cruise many time and this was our first on NCL. We showed up around noon, knowing there would be some line - but this was crazy. And no workers or signage just people pushing and shoving their way in. Sort of crazy. Took us almost three hours to get through security and then get checked in. 

Getting off the ship this morning was a similar story. Took us about 2.5 hours from the time our luggage tags were called until we were at the curb waiting for our shuttle. 

I’m not sure if all NCL cruises are like this - or if it was just the port of LA not being super great. It all worked out fine in the end - and I’ll be prepared next time to wait if we cruise out of San Pedro again. 

All in all an amazing cruise! 

The San Pedro terminal wasn't designed to handle megaships like that. The choke point is the narrow corridor for security screening. The issue getting off is that for some reason the LA/Long Beach customs guys check every person on their computers, whereas in San Diego they do a visual passport check and wave you through. I was actually contemplating going on a last-minute 5-day Joy trip this weekend, instead of the Carnival 4-day I have booked, but after the descriptions of the port hassles, no way. The ideal setup now is the new dome in Long Beach for Carnival, with multiple security screeners spread out and reps checking everyone in with phone apps and keys cards waiting on your cabin door. 

I did take the Joy in Alaska, right after refurbishment, and my hints would be to get to the Cavern Club very early if you want a seat. Or if not, realize the Beatles group does a mainstage show one night with no seating issues. Book comedy shows as soon as you get on board, and simply don't go if your plans change--the standby line will take your place. If you want to whale watch, one of the outside bars has high stools that allows you to see over the railing on the Oceanfront and get better sea views than through the plastic (you also get beautiful sea views on the outside by the lifeboats, with nobody there, but no place to sit). If you go to the scoop ice cream station, they often put out jars of gummi bears as toppings, which I and others would snack from, and on one night they also had peanut brittle out, which was yummy. Finally, I recommend always going to the front of the ship if you use the buffet, because there are fewer people and better views (conversely, on the Observation Lounge everybody heads to the front so I would find seats closer to the entrance, which also has snacks and drinks).

• Like 3

On 12/30/2019 at 9:07 AM, Canbylancer said:

Thank you for your post, I have been looking for info on the Mexican Rivera cruise on the Joy.  I am going on the Joy in March.  Do you or anyone have any MDR and Local dining menus for each night?  I did see the theme or special at the Local in the dailies.  

We are going in March. Any luck finding the menu?

On 1/10/2020 at 6:14 PM, rj42 said:

The San Pedro terminal wasn't designed to handle megaships like that. The choke point is the narrow corridor for security screening. The issue getting off is that for some reason the LA/Long Beach customs guys check every person on their computers, whereas in San Diego they do a visual passport check and wave you through. I was actually contemplating going on a last-minute 5-day Joy trip this weekend, instead of the Carnival 4-day I have booked, but after the descriptions of the port hassles, no way. The ideal setup now is the new dome in Long Beach for Carnival, with multiple security screeners spread out and reps checking everyone in with phone apps and keys cards waiting on your cabin door. 

I did take the Joy in Alaska, right after refurbishment, and my hints would be to get to the Cavern Club very early if you want a seat. Or if not, realize the Beatles group does a mainstage show one night with no seating issues. Book comedy shows as soon as you get on board, and simply don't go if your plans change--the standby line will take your place. If you want to whale watch, one of the outside bars has high stools that allows you to see over the railing on the Oceanfront and get better sea views than through the plastic (you also get beautiful sea views on the outside by the lifeboats, with nobody there, but no place to sit). If you go to the scoop ice cream station, they often put out jars of gummi bears as toppings, which I and others would snack from, and on one night they also had peanut brittle out, which was yummy. Finally, I recommend always going to the front of the ship if you use the buffet, because there are fewer people and better views (conversely, on the Observation Lounge everybody heads to the front so I would find seats closer to the entrance, which also has snacks and drinks).

Every port I go thru they check the passport visually even in seattle and alaska and miami, any reason why los angeles is different?  I notice in los angeles they check everything and it takes a long time

Edited by jameslee

1 hour ago, BabyNurse33 said:

Anyone know about the public sun deck on 19 opposite Vibe? Where is access to that? Thanks 

I asked the same thing and I was viewing a YouTube or reading somewhere that the deck plans have not been updated and this is not a public area.  I think I read that it was all now part of the Vibe.

13 minutes ago, parmus said:

I asked the same thing and I was viewing a YouTube or reading somewhere that the deck plans have not been updated and this is not a public area.  I think I read that it was all now part of the Vibe.

I'm looking right at NCL deck plan on THEIR site. Why would they not have accurate information listed? That's false advertising if not available. Can you post link? That's upsetting.  Sigh...wishing I never booked with NCL more and more. Darn.

45 minutes ago, BabyNurse33 said:

I'm looking right at NCL deck plan on THEIR site. Why would they not have accurate information listed? That's false advertising if not available. Can you post link? That's upsetting.  Sigh...wishing I never booked with NCL more and more. Darn.

I'll see if I can find it.  I was truly disappointed when I heard that because we're not into the pool deck area and Spice H20.  Sounds difficult to get in to the vibe, so when you want relaxing, it doesn't leave much else.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, BabyNurse33 said:

The public section of the deck 19 sundeck has now been incorporated into Vibe.  So what was already not enough hot tub/sun deck space for the volumes of passengers, is now even less.  It still shows as ‘public” on the touch screens onboard, as well as the deck plan in the app.  

• Like 1

On 1/4/2020 at 2:51 PM, tlm48 said:

When are you cruising? Before February 2nd? This sounds like something I would love! Please share!

I posted a review with the schedule we used — link in my signature.  We had a great time!  Hope you are able to use it for your roll call

On 1/5/2020 at 8:21 AM, tlm48 said:

Have a fantastic cruise!

That would be great thank you we will be on Joy in February. And want to do the pub crawl as well.

Also if you remember could you let me know which deck we exit off of for ports, and if there is a meeting place near there for groups going on non-ship tours.

For Cabo we met up in the Manhattan dining room, and were immediately directed down several stairs to the tender — the stairwell was a crew only one, so really dont know which actual deck the exit was on.  We just followed the go here, go there directions.  I think we got off on deck 6 for Mazatlan.  And didn’t get off for PV.  As far as non-NCL tours, those all meet up once you exit the ship.  So just look for the people holding signs, and find the one for your tour company/tour.  

If you have tour for Cabo, be sure to book your tender asap to get group A or B.  When you come aboard, take the stairwell to your right up a deck to 7, and there are touch screen panels on the walls facing the stairs.  They temporarily disable the touchscreens on deck 6 where you come on at embarkation, to prevent a line from forming at the entry way.

• Thanks 1

Port or Starboard?  We're on the Joy in a forward starboard mini-suite.  I was thinking it might be better to be Port side because we may be closer to better land views travelling down to the three ports as opposed to the opposite way.  Anyone have suggestions?  Also, since we have our suite already, will NCL allow us to move to the other side if we want to?

1 minute ago, parmus said:

Port or Starboard?  We're on the Joy in a forward starboard mini-suite.  I was thinking it might be better to be Port side because we may be closer to better land views travelling down to the three ports as opposed to the opposite way.  Anyone have suggestions?  Also, since we have our suite already, will NCL allow us to move to the other side if we want to?

For Cabo, Port side is better during arrival.  Other than that, it really doesn’t make a lot of difference, imo.  

On 12/21/2019 at 7:30 PM, BirdTravels said:

Always interesting that folks start a thread to document “annoyances” and spend a whole cruise looking for things to complain about. 

We always look for the positives and ignore the annoyances which are present in every vacation (land or at sea). 

I am the same way! I am on vacation so the "annoyances" are just what you make of them.

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/22/2019 at 10:37 AM, wilmingtech said:

Dropped off in a Lyft around 10am.  It's now 10:15 and we are sitting in the Haven waiting area.

Quick answers to Boarding in  San Pedro -

HAVEN - Once you get past the initial security entrance where you dump your liquids, they do have a separate line in Security for Haven Guests.  Dont be afraid to go around the lines in the 3 left side lanes.  You wont see the Haven sign on the far right side through the crowd until you get right up to it.  They give you little card holders for your Haven room key.  

PRIORITY ACCESS - 

You have to use the regular security lines but after getting through security you will find a Priority Access line for checkin that is separate from the other check in locations.  It is to the right side (middle of building as you walk in)  and the far right in front of Haven is Lattitudes Priority checkin.

20191222_103206.jpg

20191222_102437.jpg

20191222_100407.jpg

This is awesome!  Thank you so much for this tip!  We're sailing on the Joy in April and we're excited to experience the Haven on this ship.  We experienced it on the Jewel, Pearl, Jade and Epic.  We weren't impressed with the Haven on the Epic, so we're hoping this is better.

20 hours ago, queenL said:

$199 for unlimited Race Track, is that pp or per cabin?  😬

Be aware you might not be able to get many rides in with the unlimited pass. The track is only open limited hours and has a line to wait in if you aren't holding reservation for that time slot. Haven guests without reservations get a shorter line on top of that. Id look for more info on here about whether pass will be a good deal for your length of cruise.

• 2 weeks later...