Texting options while on Anthem

Hello.  I'm going on the Anthem soon and would like to know what my options are as far as texting other people in our small group (all using iPhones).  Last time I was on Anthem I found I could use iMessage even though I didn't purchase an internet package.  I'd prefer not to buy an internet package this time either.  

I know there is an option to text others onboard via the Royal app but my concern is it won't alert me to new messages (whereas iMessage will sound my alert tone and vibrate the phone).  I don't want to keep looking at my phone to see if someone is trying to message me.  

Thanks for the info.  🙂

Chris

14 minutes ago, Nectarologist said:

Hello.  I'm going on the Anthem soon and would like to know what my options are as far as texting other people in our small group (all using iPhones).  Last time I was on Anthem I found I could use iMessage even though I didn't purchase an internet package.  I'd prefer not to buy an internet package this time either.  

I know there is an option to text others onboard via the Royal app but my concern is it won't alert me to new messages (whereas iMessage will sound my alert tone and vibrate the phone).  I don't want to keep looking at my phone to see if someone is trying to message me.  

Thanks for the info.  🙂

Chris

Anthem now uses the Royal App, not the Royal IQ app that had the pay text feature.  The Royal App does have a free text feature that is only available on two ships currently and Anthem is not one of them.  iMessage can no longer be used for free, there was a "hole" in the firewall that allowed that and that has now been closed.  You need to purchase Voom or check with your cell provider to see what they charge while you are on the ship.

1 hour ago, reallyitsmema said:

Anthem now uses the Royal App, not the Royal IQ app that had the pay text feature.  The Royal App does have a free text feature that is only available on two ships currently and Anthem is not one of them.  

We happened to talk to an App "Officer" on our previous cruise- this feature is supposed to be rolled out to the Anthem in 2020.  And most ships will also get it.

Odd that it does not have it.

They are also planning on making the notifications better, which will make texting a whole lot more effective....

Well this is crazy...you'd pay more for two devices than two single purchase ($2/day).  I was on a trip and the messaging was like $7 per day/device so for $2 more (and internet) DW might decide we're getting the basic Voom.  If anything changes Alferic, from what is posted here, I'll update here.  You can't see it but the Voom Surf is $21.99 for two devices (vs $9.99 for one).

Screen Shot 2019-12-22 at 8.45.15 PM.png

Edited by Nectarologist

1 hour ago, alfaeric said:

We happened to talk to an App "Officer" on our previous cruise- this feature is supposed to be rolled out to the Anthem in 2020.  And most ships will also get it.

Odd that it does not have it.

They are also planning on making the notifications better, which will make texting a whole lot more effective....

We heard that also when we were on Anthem earlier this month.  Who did you speak to, Ramon?  He really seemed to know what he was up to when we spoke to him on Anthem.  

3 hours ago, Nectarologist said:

Well this is crazy...you'd pay more for two devices than two single purchase ($2/day)....

Several of the prices fluctuate.  It's more expensive to do 2 devices today, but that might not be the case tomorrow.  Unfortunately, you have to keep checking to ensure you get the lowest when it becomes available.

On 12/23/2019 at 7:55 AM, Biker19 said:

When Anthem used the Royal IQ app and you opted for the paid texting option, that price was for the whole sailing, not per day.

do you know what the price was for this? going on anthem in two weeks and looking at options!

7 hours ago, allisonb22 said:

do you know what the price was for this? going on anthem in two weeks and looking at options!

I believe it was $7.95 but that went away with the Royal IQ app. I doubt Anthem will have the texting feature enabled in the RCI app in the next two weeks, but it is coming, eventually. Right now, if you want to text on board, you either get a VOOM package or pay per text via the ship's cell tower.