Any exceptions on drink packages in cabins?

ARI421

My husband and I have always both purchased the cheers package but i have had surgery and unable to drink soda or alcohol anymore and can get a doctors note stating this. Rpyal carrbean has allowed my husband to get the package and not me, has anyone been able to do this? Of course i can supply medical proof... Just curious before i call. 

Agreed, my wife was pregnant and they still wouldn’t exonerate her from the requirement... fortunately we were sailing with another couple so we could re arrange to have me and another drinker “registered” to the same room.

If you happen to be traveling with a group or kids who have their own room you can rearrange the names registered to the room to possibly get around. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Toesinthewater728 said:

Agreed, my wife was pregnant and they still wouldn’t exonerate her from the requirement... fortunately we were sailing with another couple so we could re arrange to have me and another drinker “registered” to the same room.

If you happen to be traveling with a group or kids who have their own room you can rearrange the names registered to the room to possibly get around. 

That is happening to us- is there an extra charge for changing passengers from room to room so one person could get a drink package?

6 hours ago, dave_k58 said:

That is happening to us- is there an extra charge for changing passengers from room to room so one person could get a drink package?

No, not as long as everyone from the original cabins is still sailing.  They only charge for name changes when one person is totally switched for a new person.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, EllaDuChien said:

No, not as long as everyone from the original cabins is still sailing.  They only charge for name changes when one person is totally switched for a new person.

Does this have to be done before sailing? 

11 minutes ago, OC SeaPA said:

Does this have to be done before sailing? 

It does.  Otherwise they will make both over 21 adults buy the package.  However, once you board, you can get additional keys made for all the rooms and move everyone back to where you want them.  Small inconvenience to carry two keys around, but better than having to pay for a package for someone that can't drink.

50 minutes ago, EllaDuChien said:

It does.  Otherwise they will make both over 21 adults buy the package.  However, once you board, you can get additional keys made for all the rooms and move everyone back to where you want them.  Small inconvenience to carry two keys around, but better than having to pay for a package for someone that can't drink.

This is accurate, in additional to the small inconvenience of having the extra key you need to go to customer service to make the necessary “re arrangement” once on board. Please remember, last time I traveled, all your drinks from day 1 could be refunded if you bought cheers on day 2... so keep that in mind when choosing to wait in line at guest services. 

6 hours ago, Toesinthewater728 said:

This is accurate, in additional to the small inconvenience of having the extra key you need to go to customer service to make the necessary “re arrangement” once on board. Please remember, last time I traveled, all your drinks from day 1 could be refunded if you bought cheers on day 2... so keep that in mind when choosing to wait in line at guest services. 

I was wondering about that.  If you have a late embarkation, or early to bed because of a long day, can you purchase cheers on day 2 and pay for only the remaining days, or are you charged for 7 days if it is a 7 day cruise, even if buying it on day 2?  i've never purchased cheers before, and am new to carnival.  Thanks.  We are 4 adults & 2 kids in 2 adjoining cabins, but have separate credit cards, Obboard accounts, etc.  Only 1 cabin will be purchasing cheers- the non-kids cabin.

2 hours ago, adventuredancer said:

i've met people who say they have gotten an exception, but i've also heard people at GS getting pissed when they wouldn't give an exception. there is a chance (very tiny) that you might get one. but don't count on it. i like cheers anyways for some of the other drinks (milkshakes, etc)

I have never found those reports to be credible that an exception was made.   

On 12/23/2019 at 7:29 PM, OC SeaPA said:

I was wondering about that.  If you have a late embarkation, or early to bed because of a long day, can you purchase cheers on day 2 and pay for only the remaining days, or are you charged for 7 days if it is a 7 day cruise, even if buying it on day 2?  i've never purchased cheers before, and am new to carnival.  Thanks.  We are 4 adults & 2 kids in 2 adjoining cabins, but have separate credit cards, Obboard accounts, etc.  Only 1 cabin will be purchasing cheers- the non-kids cabin.

They charge you for each day, so if you know you’re going to get it day 2, get your moneys worth on day 1 since the drinks will be refunded. 

On 12/23/2019 at 6:29 PM, OC SeaPA said:

I was wondering about that.  If you have a late embarkation, or early to bed because of a long day, can you purchase cheers on day 2 and pay for only the remaining days, or are you charged for 7 days if it is a 7 day cruise, even if buying it on day 2? 

If your ship is departing from New York or Texas, you can purchase the CHEERS! program on day 2 due to state laws beyond Carnival's control, and you are only charged starting on that second day.

In pretty much every other case you must purchase it for the duration of the cruise, including day 1. Note it is slightly less expense to order it ahead of time on their Fun Shops website instead of waiting until you board the ship (currently $51.95/person/day +18% gratuity versus $56.95/person/day +18% gratuity).

From Carnival's website:

"Due to state laws, we cannot sell CHEERS! until the second day of the cruise (starting at 6:00am) for voyages departing from our Texas and New York home ports. Drinks purchased on the first day of the cruise will be charged to the guest's Sail & Sign® card in the usual manner. When purchased on the second day of the cruise, guests are charged for the remaining days only (cruise duration less one day)"

Edited by knagl

7 hours ago, knagl said:

If your ship is departing from New York or Texas, you can purchase the CHEERS! program on day 2 due to state laws beyond Carnival's control, and you are only charged starting on that second day.

In pretty much every other case you must purchase it for the duration of the cruise, including day 1. Note it is slightly less expense to order it ahead of time on their Fun Shops website instead of waiting until you board the ship (currently $51.95/person/day +18% gratuity versus $56.95/person/day +18% gratuity).

From Carnival's website:

"Due to state laws, we cannot sell CHEERS! until the second day of the cruise (starting at 6:00am) for voyages departing from our Texas and New York home ports. Drinks purchased on the first day of the cruise will be charged to the guest's Sail & Sign® card in the usual manner. When purchased on the second day of the cruise, guests are charged for the remaining days only (cruise duration less one day)"

I like to take advantage of the discounts, but I was told we can't use OBC to pay for it until we are onboard.  With our OBC it comes to almost 1/2 price, better than 10% discount!  Or is there a way to use OBC prior to embarkation?  Some other cruise lines let you do this. 

14 minutes ago, OC SeaPA said:

I like to take advantage of the discounts, but I was told we can't use OBC to pay for it until we are onboard.  With our OBC it comes to almost 1/2 price, better than 10% discount!  Or is there a way to use OBC prior to embarkation?  Some other cruise lines let you do this. 

Onboard credit requires you to be onboard for its use.