Kids' dinner attire on 3 day Carnival Victory

akunyos

First time cruiser, flying to Miami in 1 day and my 13 yr old can no longer fit in his collared short sleeve shirts. No time to go buy new plus it's winter here so stores don't have them in stock.  I've been reading online and wanted to confirm -- dress code with collared shirt is only for the main dining rooms correct? He can eat dinner in the Lido buffet and other casual options in tee shirts? He has nice button up tees just not collared.

4 hours ago, akunyos said:

First time cruiser, flying to Miami in 1 day and my 13 yr old can no longer fit in his collared short sleeve shirts. No time to go buy new plus it's winter here so stores don't have them in stock.  I've been reading online and wanted to confirm -- dress code with collared shirt is only for the main dining rooms correct? He can eat dinner in the Lido buffet and other casual options in tee shirts? He has nice button up tees just not collared.

Yes he can wear t shirts in the Lido. Have a great cruise!

• Like 1

I suspect for non-elegant nights a "dressy" tee shirt would be fine in the MDR.  My son and husband have long sleeve shirts without collars (henley, etc) but are still a step above an athletic or event t-shirt (and can't imagine anyone wearing undershirts) or sweat shirts/fleece.  

Alternately, if he has a long sleeve collared shirt it could be packed too since it's often chilly in the dining rooms.

If in doubt, you could ask the maitre d or other staff on embarkation day or at breakfast/brunch if you are concerned.

• Like 2

Doesn't Walmart carry generic polo shirts?  They're nearly perfect for regular nights in the MDR at dinner, and even on formal night they can fly under the radar for the most part.  How would your son feel about a cotton dress shirt?  I know I didn't like them when I was 13,  but one man's trash is another man's treasure.

Breakfast and lunch in the MDR don't have much of a dress code to speak of, except that you must be in regular clothes.  That means no swimsuits, not even with cover-ups, and men can't have sleeveless shirts (tank tops).

Lido buffet is anything goes.  The only rule is "no shirts, no shoes, no service".  Swimsuits with cover-ups are allowed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LandlockedCruiser01 said:

Doesn't Walmart carry generic polo shirts?  They're nearly perfect for regular nights in the MDR at dinner, and even on formal night they can fly under the radar for the most part.  How would your son feel about a cotton dress shirt?  I know I didn't like them when I was 13,  but one man's trash is another man's treasure.

Thanks @LandlockedCruiser01. Key is no time for Walmart run. Had to work with what he owned.

Edited by akunyos
my reply went into the quoted part

Actually, we were in similar situation with my 16 year old in June on Carnival Conquest, and he wore a nice T-shirt to the dining room and was ok.  On formal night he wore t-shirt with a pair of slacks.  There were plenty of grown men and youth who were not dressed with a collar shirt or button up shirt.  I think he will be fine and not be turned away.

4 hours ago, akunyos said:

Thanks @Purvis1231 yes he has a school choir uniform shirt but doesn't want to take it. He'll take 2 henley shirts (buttons at neck, no collars).

He should be ok, t-shirt are fine except on elegant night but Carnival does not almost monitor the dress code anyway, enjoy!

Edited by Purvis1231
typo