Men's attire on formal nights

norm2002

I know there is a Dress Code thread but, TBH, I don't really want to go through over 1,200 posts, many of which are very old.

I have not cruised at all since I got married 12 years ago (after accumulating over 180 days on Seabourn) but my wife has at last been persuaded to give it a try as some close friends of ours will be on a 21 day LA to Miami cruise next October. When I used to cruise, the proportion of men with dark suits, compared to those with tuxedos or DJs, on formal nights was fairly low (maybe 20% at most). I would prefer to stay with a dark suit this time for packing convenience (I have to allow my wife the majority of the suitcase space!) but will I feel a bit out of place? What is the proportion like these days? What if we are invited to an Officer's table?

Edited by norm2002

My DH won t even bring the suit,,,favors sports coats,blazers,etc. with tie and dress pants;

He really prefers the lines that have casual ALL the time,,like Regent and Oceania.

Thats why this is our 3rd SB cruise,,would go on more if they relaxed dress code to above lines.

I m fine dressing up,,a bit. No formal wear for me tho.

No one has ever said he wasnt dressed properly ,,,so no worries.

My husband has taken a tux in the past, a dark suit in the past, but on our last cruise (SB May/June 2019), he decided to take two conservative sports coats with various ties (of the bow tie variety).  He wore these to dinner almost every night as he likes to wear a coat and tie.  On formal night, he wore his navy blazer, gray slacks and bow tie.  He did not feel out of place in the dining room even though we were dining with a man in a tux.  I'm sure some are saying tut tut, why not just bring the tux or dark suit.  It's all about versatility and packing space. 

You can not only leave your tuxedo and dark suit at home you can leave your tie. In the last twelve years there has been a radical shift in formal optional nights. Notice I use the word optional here which is Seabourn's description, You need a jacket and collared tie now and nothing more. Twelve years ago Seabourn brochures always featured photos of people in  tuxedos and gowns. Try and find one of those today,

• Like 1

Wow! I wasn't expecting quite such a change! I have to say I did like the formality of 'the old days' (officers in dress uniform etc) but I am also very happy being a bit more casual. In any event, I think I saw there are only three formal optional nights in our 21 day cruise. From memory, that is also quite a reduction.

Further, Norm, despite the lamentations of certain posters who wish the old dress code on SB was still in effect, which it most emphatically is not (as pointed out above by Wripro), on Formal Optional evenings the new "jacket with or w/out tie rule" only applies in The Restaurant.   The rest of the ship remains Elegant Casual, including The Colonnade and TK Grill.  In fact, on our recent 20-day cruise on Sojourn, The Colonnade was quite busy on Formal Optional evenings with pax who did not wish to dress up.  On the Formal Optional evening when we had dinner at TK Grill, less than half of the men were wearing jackets of any sort.   Even though it was Alaska and the West Coast, rather than Hawaii, it was sort of a "Tommy Bahama Rules!!" sort of sartorial choice.

Edited by freddie

Just last year we were on the Quest for 46 days, 3 segments.  There were a number of dress-up nights and I dutifully wore my black coat, black slacks, white shirt and tie.  I did not feel over-dressed, and there were a few guys in tuxes, but the vast majority of men were just well-dressed in coast and slacks.  Not formal at all, but if that's what you want to do, why not?

• Like 1

We havent cruised on SB in 5 yrs.and now so glad to read my DH,,,see above post...won t feel left out.

Since he retired 2yrs.ago he gave away all his suits,,,says will not buy again as we live in FL. and no one dresses up for anything. Well ,,perhaps weddings. If and when our GDs get married,,,hope its on a beach.

We dressed in a  Smart  Dark Jacket and Trousers and black shoes , a few wore suits but predominantly no ties but open long sleeved shirts . All very nice as most of the attire looked expensive and not at all scruffy as you would get on some other cruise lines .

• 2 months later...
6 hours ago, Fletcher said:

For formal nights in the MDR I suggest a full protective medical suit (3M make some nice ones) with mask and sealable shoes.  Carry an alcohol-based sanitiser.  Ties optional.  

NO Mandatory Tie!  Outrageous! 🧐

(Can the alcohol-based sanitiser be carried internally? 😷)

on Silver Sea Dec 2020

omg, my husband will  have a stroke when i tell him dark suit and/or dark jacket.    yikes....glad you mentioned it!   will pack accordingly.  also hopefully no need for 90% isopropyl alcohol  by then😉    Just for drinking purposes;)     we will be on the silver wind Dec 2020.  I thought expedition was less dressy.    I guessed wrong!  Amazing that many dark suits/jackets worn on expedition ships.