Private tours in CA - recommended companies?

karscott

Hi there,

We just booked a California coast cruise for March with stops in San Fran, San Diego and Monterrey.  We generally book tours with private companies due to lower cost and better experience. Any recommendations for tour operators who cater to cruise passengers?

TIA, 

Karen

12 minutes ago, karscott said:

San Fran

Please don't call it "San Fran"-- the locals hate it and will say something to you if you do that. That being said we did a tour there a couple years ago with a private guide that was set up by our hotel-- I believe the name of the tour company was Dylans and they did a very good job. All the major neighborhoods and sights-- very nice luxury minivan sort of thing. 

I would say afterwards though that there were many things we could have done in that day by ourselves without having to hire a guide. We had gone on a previous visit, but for example if you wanted to see Alcatraz-- no need to hire a private guide-- just book in advance as the ferrys do sell out. Also if you wanted to skip the city and go up into wine country, that would be a great reason to hire a guide for the day. 

18 minutes ago, karscott said:

San Diego and Monterrey

Compared to San Francisco, San Diego is relatively small and Monterey is tiny. Not sure if you could really get your money's worth out of a guide in either of these places. San Diego has lots of places to visit that will take some time to see on their own-- like the Zoo or USS Midway. Easy to walk or Uber to and you wouldn't need to pay someone to wait for you. Monterey's main tourist area is a few blocks along Canary Row. If anything I would tell you to rent a car for a few hours and do the 17 Mile Drive through Pebble Beach-- again-- very straightforward and don't need a guide to do it. 

I would first ask what your interests might be in each of those cities?

As mentioned above, there are many things to see/do that can be easily accessed with no tours at all!

The cruise terminal in San Diego is right in the middle of downtown.You can get a hop on hop off bus right there. You can take a taxi or uber/lyft car to Balboa Park with its small museums, artisan shops, outdoor entertainers, and the world famous San Diego zoo.

You can walk to the USS Midway aircraft carrier and/or the Maritime Museum.

Monterey's famous aquarium is right in the downtown of that city.

Tell folks what interests you and they may suggest other activities or tour companies if you want to visit a place far away from where the ship docks or lets you off.

Thanks very much for the feedback! As far as what interests us, I’d say that a day of seeing various sites - rather than spending a lot of time at one or two spots - would probably be preferable.

Going into wine country outside of San Francisco (certainly wouldn’t want to disrespect the locals - thanks, princeton123211) sounds wonderful. 

For San Diego, the hop-on hop-off sounds like a great option. 

My husband likes the idea of the 17 Mile Drive through Pebble Beach, but we’d like to avoid the hassle of renting a car, especially since we’re Canadian and it’s a hassle if you happen to experience a stone chip in your windshield (long story, but happened to  us on the highway outside Scottsdale one year...) I’m assuming there are local tour operators who could take us on the 17 Mile Drive?

Thanks again. Really appreciate the suggestions.

Karen

38 minutes ago, karscott said:

I’m assuming there are local tour operators who could take us on the 17 Mile Drive?

Doesn't even need to be that formal-- you could just jump in an Uber and have them drive you and drop you off at the Inn at Spanish Bay or Lodge at Pebble Beach for a drink or two. We used Uber in Monterey quite a bit when we were in town for a wedding last year. 

On 12/28/2019 at 9:15 AM, karscott said:

My husband likes the idea of the 17 Mile Drive through Pebble Beach...

We were planning to do that last April, but the seas were too rough to tender at Monterey. This is not an uncommon occurrence, just so you know. Hope for the best and just prepare yourselves that you may not be able to tender that day. For this reason, I would not make plans ahead of time or pre-pay for something in Monterey.

On 1/1/2020 at 7:15 PM, Splinter said:

Check out private tours on both ShoreTrips and Viator websites.

I don't know about ShoreTrips but Viator does NOT provide any of the tours that it sells.

It is a 3rd party that lists tours run by other companies.

I prefer to deal directly with the company I am booking.

I"m going on a cruise up the California coast in May 2020.  It starts at San Diego so we are going on the Old Town trolley tour there. In San Francisco we are using Dylan's Tours. He has an all day tour called A Day in the Bay that takes you all through the neighborhoods. Muir Woods, and includes a trip to Alcatraz.  dylanstours.com I booked directly through his website and it was cheaply than viator.

8 minutes ago, k4teacher said:

I"m going on a cruise up the California coast in May 2020.  It starts at San Diego so we are going on the Old Town trolley tour there. In San Francisco we are using Dylan's Tours. He has an all day tour called A Day in the Bay that takes you all through the neighborhoods. Muir Woods, and includes a trip to Alcatraz.  dylanstours.com I booked directly through his website and it was cheaply than viator.

We are likely going to book similarly. Dylan’s Tours looks great for San Francisco. I found an interesting tour for Ensenada (with Baja Test Kitchens) but it’s on the expensive side so no decision on that yet. I think we’ll play it by ear in Monterrey.

For the Old Town Trolley in San Diego, did you book directly with them or through your ship? 

I booked the tour online because we are flying back to San Diego and will go to the Zoo on the day back. Old Town trolley has a special right now for trolley tour/San Diego zoo. oldtowntrolleytour.com

8 hours ago, karscott said:

For the Old Town Trolley in San Diego, did you book directly with them or through your ship? 

Get your ticket on-line. The ship jacks up the price considerably. They pick up right at on Harbor Dr. next to the cruise ship pier.

Edited by Splinter

On 1/3/2020 at 6:01 AM, riffatsea said:

I don't know about ShoreTrips but Viator does NOT provide any of the tours that it sells.

It is a 3rd party that lists tours run by other companies.

I prefer to deal directly with the company I am booking.

That is also true of ShoreTrips. They are a trip broker for many other companies, just as the ship's tours are, but usually with smaller groups and lower fares.

• 1 month later...

We were looking for a Muir Woods tour while we're in port in San Francisco, that is not part of the big bus tours...something more like a small, private tour.  We are booked with muirwoodstourdotcom, which is led by Naturalists, Tom Martell.  The reviews were great and we are looking forward to the excursion.  He takes a maximum of 6 people and gets to the location before most of the tour buses, to create a unique experience.  Price was a little more at $100 pp, but should be well worth it.