Slimmed down cocktail menu?

raesive

On 12/30/2019 at 12:17 PM, raesive said:

Just got off Zuiderdam and wondering if their drink menus are different or the same to the rest of the fleet... there was only a single page with cocktails, plus a "Drink of the day" in all the menus I found throughout the ship- still listed all beers, liquors, wines, sodas, etc. There was a separate list in addition in the Billboard Onboard and BB King bar areas, but between those it was still lacking from when I cruised on NS back in April where there had to be at least 5 pages of just cocktails. Did they pare down the menu dramatically fleet-wide? Seemed odd to no longer see the suncicle (one bartender made it for me, but he had to do it from memory, and it wasn't in the computer) and many others from that previous trip. I also really wanted this frozen chocolate mint concoction (can't remember the name anymore), but was told the closest they could do was a mudslide- good, but not the same. Anyone else have a similar experience? Or was it just this ship?

Currently on the Z-dam.  Noticed this last night.  DH ordered one of the 5 listed and priced craft cocktails.  I ordered a Manhattan, but I had no idea what the price was.  There appears to be an emphasis on reducing paper and information.  The ‘What and Where’ aka daily activities is skinnied down as well and short on details.  My Manhattan was good and there were no issues ordering it.  

On 12/30/2019 at 12:46 PM, Gigi1977 said:

Think they have changed fleet wide.  Our favorite in Tamarind was no longer available.  Think it was the Snow Tiger??  Wish I knew how to make it! 

My favorite was the Coral in Tamarind and it’s gone, too. 😢 

15 minutes ago, DeeniEncinitas said:

Go to any of the bars. The bartenders know the Wang Wang!!!!(LOL) watch them they are very potent!! 
Denise😳

PS I learned the hard way 😥 Whew!

I will do that....very soon! Thank you!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BaxCruiser said:

Want Wang looks like another version of Long Island Iced Tea....DEADLY

Oh my Gosh 😱 worse!!

It was my Birthday and Anniversary!!

We were in the PG Bar to start off with cocktails prior to our dinner! They go down smooth, the rest don’t want to talk about it

(LOL) 
Denise 😊

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DeeniEncinitas said:

Oh my Gosh 😱 worse!!

We were in the PG Bar to start off with cocktails prior to our dinner! They go down smooth, the rest don’t want to talk about it

(LOL) 
Denise 😊

😂 Will definitely be careful! Thanks for the head’s up!

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, DeeniEncinitas said:

Oh my Gosh 😱 worse!!

(LOL) 
Denise 😊

❤️❤️❤️

30 minutes ago, BaxCruiser said:

Want Wang looks like another version of Long Island Iced Tea....DEADLY

Wang Wang

1/4 oz Vodka

1/4 oz Gin

1/4 oz White Rum

1/4 oz Scotch

1/4 oz Bourbon

1/4 oz Tequila

1/4 Triple Sec

1/4 oz Brandy

Top it off with Pineapple and Orange Juice. Add a splash of Grenadine and let the games begin!

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Crew News said:

Wang Wang

1/4 oz Vodka

1/4 oz Gin

1/4 oz White Rum

1/4 oz Scotch

1/4 oz Bourbon

1/4 oz Tequila

1/4 Triple Sec

1/4 oz Brandy

Top it off with Pineapple and Orange Juice. Add a splash of Grenadine and let the games begin!

Oh my! Very dangerous! 💀 

2 hours ago, maggie7667 said:

My favorite was the Coral in Tamarind and it’s gone, too. 😢 

Coral as in coral drop martini ?    Orderable on my Nieuw Statendam TA in November. I may have had one or two in the Ocean Bar over the course of the voyage.   Pretty standard drink really -- it's basically a lemon drop w/ a splash of Chambord (raspberry liqueur)    Scott. 

26 minutes ago, YXU AC*SE said:

Coral as in coral drop martini ?    Orderable on my Nieuw Statendam TA in November. I may have had one or two in the Ocean Bar over the course of the voyage.   Pretty standard drink really -- it's basically a lemon drop w/ a splash of Chambord (raspberry liqueur)    Scott. 

26 minutes ago, YXU AC*SE said:

Not sure of the ingredients; on the Tamarind’s menu it was called The Coral. I remember it was served in a v shaped glass that rested in a small goldfish type bowl filled with crushed ice. If they are still serving it, I will definitely ask for it by the name you mentioned. Much appreciated!

Coral drop martini --   and yes, the presentation is lovely.   Stemless martini glass resting in a globe of crushed ice.   In the main lounges it will be served in a standard stemmed martini glass.  The one thing about Holland America's barmen (er barpersons now) is that they all generally have many (many) years of service, and remember HAL's promoted drinks of yore ...   Wang Wangs, or 0010 martinis or or or ...      

Recipe is pretty simple -- 

Rim your ice-chilled martini glass w/ super-fine sugar (sometimes called instant dissolving) -- set aside. 

In a cocktail shaker muddle/mash two lemon 1/8th wedges. 

Add ice to your shaker  - don't scrimp. 

Then pour over 2 ounces of a decent vodka -- Ketel One is my go to. 

Pour a half ounce of Chambord (raspberry liqueur)

Top w/ 2.5 ounces of bar sweet and sour

Shake well

Pour into aforedescribed chilled glass  (or if at home drink w/ straw from shaker)  🙂

Enjoy.      

Scott. 

5 minutes ago, YXU AC*SE said:

Coral drop martini --   and yes, the presentation is lovely.   Stemless martini glass resting in a globe of crushed ice.   In the main lounges it will be served in a standard stemmed martini glass.  The one thing about Holland America's barmen (er barpersons now) is that they all generally have many (many) years of service, and remember HAL's promoted drinks of yore ...   Wang Wangs, or 0010 martinis or or or ...      

Recipe is pretty simple -- 

Rim your ice-chilled martini glass w/ super-fine sugar (sometimes called instant dissolving) -- set aside. 

In a cocktail shaker muddle/mash two lemon 1/8th wedges. 

Add ice to your shaker  - don't scrimp. 

Then pour over 2 ounces of a decent vodka -- Ketel One is my go to. 

Pour a half ounce of Chambord (raspberry liqueur)

Top w/ 2.5 ounces of bar sweet and sour

Shake well

Pour into aforedescribed chilled glass  (or if at home drink w/ straw from shaker)  🙂

Enjoy.      

Scott. 

Thank you.....and just remembered it was called Pink Coral

On 12/30/2019 at 2:36 PM, YXU AC*SE said:

I think you are conflating 'promoted' with 'offered'  ...    most (if not all, iirc from my Nieuw Statendam TA) listed cocktails being promoted are Dale DeGroff custom creations.     Hardly a cutback?    I had no problems in ordering a Pearl Drop martini (remember those?) or my usual Crown Royal Manhattan with a whisper of vermouth.       Scott.  

Do you mean the black pearl made at the bar by the Tamarind?  I really hope they can make me a few of those.

2 hours ago, Crew News said:

Wang Wang

1/4 oz Vodka

1/4 oz Gin

1/4 oz White Rum

1/4 oz Scotch

1/4 oz Bourbon

1/4 oz Tequila

1/4 Triple Sec

1/4 oz Brandy

And amazingly, the Wang Wang (AKA Weng Weng) is included in the regular SBP and counts as one drink.   

It is not on the old or new menus, but I have always been able to get it.   Any bartender worth his salt can make any drink you want.  Just because it's not on the menu doesn't mean it is not available.   If HAL listed every possible mixed drink in their menu, you would have the equivalent menu the size of a long novel to look through.   As long as the bar has all the basic liquors and mixers, they can make anything you want.   HAL prices mixed drinks by the alcohol content in it.   A Long Island Ice Tea is never on the menu, but any bar tender can whip it up for you.   So, just because HAL has saved a few trees by not listing every crazy concoction on their menu, doesn't mean you can't get it.   If the drink you want is really unusual,  bring a recipe with you and give to the bar tender and he will make it up.  That is a good time for a nice cash tip.

• Like 1