Paperwork requirements

stevea20

A co-worker of mine and his family are going on their first cruise this spring, a NCL ship out of Rome.  He has been asking me things about cruising in general so he is prepared but there is one question that I, never having been to Europe, can answer.

What visa requirements will he need?  Something for Italy for flight arrival?  One for each country the ship visits?  Will his passport be enough?

I'd like to be able to give him an answer.  Thanks all.

I'd recommend searching the US State Department website for the requirements........

I know one part that trips people up is that travelling to the Schengen Area (spelling?) does require your passport to be valid for at least 3 months AFTER your planned return to the US.

1 hour ago, stevea20 said:

A co-worker of mine and his family are going on their first cruise this spring, a NCL ship out of Rome.  He has been asking me things about cruising in general so he is prepared but there is one question that I, never having been to Europe, can answer.

What visa requirements will he need?  Something for Italy for flight arrival?  One for each country the ship visits?  Will his passport be enough?

I'd like to be able to give him an answer.  Thanks all.

Depends on what county your “friend” is from. US citizens only require a passport for most European countries. 

Here is what NCL requires. If NCL’s requirements are greater than what the country requires, NCL trumps that country. Your “friend” should have got links to all of this in their travel documentation. 
https://www.ncl.com/freestyle-cruise/cruise-travel-documents

Edited by BirdTravels

Some countries actually require 6 months on tour passport after the last day you're there. Ie leaving January 6 means your passport has to expire after July 6.

I believe it's in 2021 US citizens have to have a Visa of sorts. It's an electronic Visa that's more tracking you in the countries than permission to enter.