NCL January Sale

Mrworldwide_88

3 hours ago, mking8288 said:

Happy cruising if you are on the Bliss (??  I am guessing - bon voyage ! ) 

Tx. We grabbed breakaway last minute this year. NYC too expensive or sold out! It's all good, not interested in go karts, laser tag, etc. 

20 hours ago, blcruising said:

Who knows what the heck they are doing. Looking at Joy on January 5, you have.

Balcony with perks at the discount of $849

Sailaway interior at $919

Sailaway oceanview at $929

Sailaway balcony topping out at $949

Goofy. Someone had a bit too much champagne on New Year's Eve. Only on NCL.

And the rates have bottomed out after upgrades assigned for the 1-5 sailing in two days. $599 sailaway interior guarantee and $649 guarantee interior w 1 perk. Single supplement waived for both fares. I imagine quite a few unsold interior cabins at this point and predict some cabins will be unfilled.

8 minutes ago, blcruising said:

And the rates have bottomed out after upgrades assigned for the 1-5 sailing in two days. $599 sailaway interior guarantee and $649 guarantee interior w 1 perk. Single supplement waived for both fares. I imagine quite a few unsold interior cabins at this point and predict some cabins will be unfilled.

So before now were the rates the normal rates or inflated sale rates. If it was the inflated rates it indicates that they keep prices too high for too long or as someone else suggested NCL would rather sail with empty cabins then offer rock bottom rates.

7 minutes ago, MoniMommy said:

So before now were the rates the normal rates or inflated sale rates. If it was the inflated rates it indicates that they keep prices too high for too long or as someone else suggested NCL would rather sail with empty cabins then offer rock bottom rates.

Correct. Book within the last few weeks, fares at least $300 more than today. Exactly right....what we don't know is whether or not they are deliberately expecting to sail with empty cabins ( unless they fill them up today and tomorrow. And we don't know how many are available because everything is a guarantee.) They may be cutting out the bottom feeders, me included!! Most cruise lines want at least one body in every cabin because any cabin that is empty at sailaway, stays empty for the duration of the sailing.

Edited by blcruising

6 hours ago, MoniMommy said:

Time will tell us this was a mistake, thinking they would fill more cabins than they did at the higher price, or the new strategy. Ang guesses?

No takers at $599? Dropped now to $499 sailaway, $549 with one perk which is more in line with market rates. Cabin dumping alive and well two days prior to sailing. Interior has gone from $919 to $499 in less than 24 hours. They are just playing games and trying to hook whoever they can at high prices. Pretty desperate corporate strategy, NCL!! Clearly, they will stop at nothing to make an extra buck 

Edited by blcruising
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, blcruising said:

No takers at $599? Dropped now to $499 sailaway, $549 with one perk which is more in line with market rates. Cabin dumping alive and well two days prior to sailing. Interior has gone from $919 to $499 in less than 24 hours. They are just playing games and trying to hook whoever they can at high prices. Pretty desperate corporate strategy, NCL!! Clearly, they will stop at nothing to make an extra buck 

Great! Gives me hope that my price will come down. They probably took upgrade bids and are now trying to sell what remains. I booked an inside 10 day cruise out of NY in Dec 2020 before the sale. Hoping to score an inside for no additional money before it's all said and done.

54 minutes ago, MoniMommy said:

Great! Gives me hope that my price will come down. They probably took upgrade bids and are now trying to sell what remains.

I booked an inside 10 day cruise out of NY in Dec 2020 before the sale. Hoping to score an inside for no additional money before it's all said and done.

prices only come down if the cruise isnt near sold out and in demand.

ie: both christmas (2019) and new years cruises out of nyc were sold out.

then a few days out, there were insides available sporadically but they were still priced very high (a couple of thousand solo) for a 7 or 8day cruise.

im assuming people canceled at the last minute but was quickly filled so prices never dropped. 

Edited by fstuff1

Just now, fstuff1 said:

prices only come down if the ship isnt sold out.

ie: both christmas (2019) and new years cruises out of nyc were sold out.

then a few days out, there were insides available sporadically but they were still priced a couple of thousand (solo) for a 7 or 8day cruise.

im assuming people canceled at the last minute but was quickly filled so prices never dropped. 

That's why I never di holiday cruises or vacations. A cruise the 3rd and 4th weeks of December are sky high. But the 1st 2 weeks can be a real bargin!

1 minute ago, MoniMommy said:

That's why I never di holiday cruises or vacations.

A cruise the 3rd and 4th weeks of December are sky high. But the 1st 2 weeks can be a real bargin!

so why not wait till the last week of Nov to book your  early Dec cruises?

20 minutes ago, fstuff1 said:

so why not wait till the last week of Nov to book your  early Dec cruises?

Yes, I thought about that. I don't think early Dec cruises sell out but in case it does, I want to be booked. I booked an inside at 2600 ( that includes the tax and port charges) for 3 people for 10 days on the Gem leaving from NY. I that a good price? I figured, I would book now and wait for price drops. 

16 hours ago, blcruising said:

No takers at $499? Let's drop it to $449. Surely someone is sitting around waiting to jump on Norwegian Joy tomorrow. Not.

FDR is not gonna be happy with empty rooms. Lesson learned or not? Price your product more in line with fair market value or sail with empty cabins.

It is interesting to see prices actually increase on cruises that are sailing soon, yet have many, many empty cabins. I've been watching the Feb Encore sailing over President's Week. Basically, most people who have the whole week off are a) families and b) from places far enough away that they have to fly to Miami. Granted, most of the 4 person balcony cabins are booked (except the H6 & H4s that are almost completely unsold) but if you want a cabin for 2 or an ocean view for 4-5, you've got 10+ rooms in every category. That'd be great... except the prices are a solid $500-$1000 more than when we booked last year AND flights from anywhere on break are easily $800+ per person, if they're not completely sold out. Yes, please, let me spend $5300 for my family of 4 in an ocean view room... plus another $4000 to fly them there from the Northeast now that flights are few & far between.

Yet, the minimum bid to get into an H4 or H6 is over $1000 per person. The only one that would be a "bargain" would be the Spa Mini Suite... but my kids can't use the spa anyway, my DH won't use it, and I'd end up spending way way way too much $$$ to make it a bargain! 😄

Just shocked, I guess, to see sooooo many open cabins on a vacation week cruise at this point. 

2 minutes ago, Mrworldwide_88 said:

Frustrating. Within a matter of days the price has risen again by £1000. Wish my work leave system wasnt so frustrating so I could book when the price was so low

My brother had this same issue recently. We were trying to do a mini-family reunion cruise with myself, my SO, my brother, his SO, and our parents. Well, my SO and I were able to do our booking along with my parents' during the Black Friday sale and paid a ridiculously low fare, but my brother wouldn't find out his vacation approval for all of 2020 until late December. By the time he was able to book, the fares had gone up over $400 per person. I feel so badly for people who have such strict schedules/approvals for vacation time. I took my sister on a cruise last year. She had to get her time off approved 6 months in advance!

20 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

My brother had this same issue recently. We were trying to do a mini-family reunion cruise with myself, my SO, my brother, his SO, and our parents. Well, my SO and I were able to do our booking along with my parents' during the Black Friday sale and paid a ridiculously low fare, but my brother wouldn't find out his vacation approval for all of 2020 until late December. By the time he was able to book, the fares had gone up over $400 per person. I feel so badly for people who have such strict schedules/approvals for vacation time. I took my sister on a cruise last year. She had to get her time off approved 6 months in advance!

Glad that the Black Friday "sale" turned out to be a real sale for you. For many the prices went up. The 20% latitudes sale was a good deal for me. Now that's gone for my cruise. Glad I was able to book then. However, since NCL deposits of refundable up until final payment, you can always book an cancel if the vacation time not not approved. 

11 minutes ago, MoniMommy said:

Glad that the Black Friday "sale" turned out to be a real sale for you. For many the prices went up. The 20% latitudes sale was a good deal for me. Now that's gone for my cruise. Glad I was able to book then. However, since NCL deposits of refundable up until final payment, you can always book an cancel if the vacation time not not approved. 

It was a sailing in March, so final payment was already due. That's why he had to wait until his time off was approved. Also, I don't think the "sale" had anything at all to do with the good price on that sailing. Demand was clearly very low, so the price was low. Once people started booking at that super low price, supply went down so the price went up. None of these "sales" actually mean anything. The price is going to be based on supply and demand. The "sales" are irrelevant.

12 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

It was a sailing in March, so final payment was already due. That's why he had to wait until his time off was approved. Also, I don't think the "sale" had anything at all to do with the good price on that sailing. Demand was clearly very low, so the price was low. Once people started booking at that super low price, supply went down so the price went up. None of these "sales" actually mean anything. The price is going to be based on supply and demand. The "sales" are irrelevant.

That was my thought too and you have confirmed it. Forget about sales and book when the price is right. I am glad your brother can still go even though he had to pay more. Time with family is priceless. Enjoy your trip!!

Good News, our leave for the summer period has been released so we can now look at cruise prices! Annoyingly theyre still £1000 more than when I looked last week. Hopefully theyll drop again by end of the sale.

Have asked my TA to look into it and may go into a local one today to see what they can get!

5 minutes ago, Mrworldwide_88 said:

Good News, our leave for the summer period has been released so we can now look at cruise prices! Annoyingly theyre still £1000 more than when I looked last week. Hopefully theyll drop again by end of the sale.

Have asked my TA to look into it and may go into a local one today to see what they can get!

The current sale in the US allegedly expires in two days. I say "allegedly" because they are prone to extensions. You might consider holding off to see what the current sale is replaced with if that is the case in the UK as well.

2 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

The current sale in the US allegedly expires in two days. I say "allegedly" because they are prone to extensions. You might consider holding off to see what the current sale is replaced with if that is the case in the UK as well.

UK is showing 13th Jan,

Dont get me wrong I will wait if the price doesn't go down to similar what I saw last week! So frustrating I couldn't book then!