Cruising with others

jobythebay

I did a search to see if this has been discussed but nothing came up. We have traveled with friends. One week sailing; a weekend at a resort. Friends of ours are talking about going with us on a 10-day cruise to the Panama Canal. I was wondering what people think about 2 couples. Is it awkward? Do you do everything together? Meet for breakfast and decide the day? Is 10 days too long to spend with one other couple? Thanks for your ideas.

Of course it really depends on the friends. In our case we had met a couple from a previous cruise we were on. We met them through our roll call board from Princess. After the cruise was over there were about 5 of us who continued on talking through e-mails, Floataway lounge, etc. Well last year one of the couples and my DH and I cruised to Alaska. Had a wonderful time. We usually had breakfast and lunch together. Dinner was on our own. Once in awhile we went on excursions together. In other words we were not glued together. Before the cruise we had talked alot about this very situation. Fortunately for us we all agreed that sometimes we be together and other time we go off alone. Hope this helps some.

By the way it was a 11 day cruise.

marilyn

We're cruising with another couple in a month so I'll let you know when we get back!!

We did a trip to California last May with another couple for 2 weeks. We spent most of the time in the car. By the end of the trip, we were all getting on each others' nerves but we still had a great time. I'd do it again.

It really depends on you and the other couple. If it's a couple that gets on your nerves often, spending 10 days with them might not be the best idea.

I have taken five cruises with other couples. We have always said that each couple is free to do whatever they want. The only time we know that we will definitely hook up is at dinner. If we want to do the same excursions then we book them together or plan some shopping trips together. It has always worked out great for us. One of our cruises was 9 days and it was fine.

We have traveled with other couples before on a cruise and had a great time. We did many things together but also some on our own and it worked out great.

If you book with different agents or even with the same agent be sure that they tie the two reservations together, assuming that you want to be assigned to the same dining room table for dinner.

Keith

We have cruised twice before with another couple. 7 and 17 days. We've had great times and are doing an 11 day in March. As others have said, we did some things together and some things on our own. I personally feel it makes a trip more fun when you can share with friends :).

We went with a group instead of just one couple. We were split on dining times, but eat together with those of the like seating. One girl went on excursions with us because her roommate didn't want to go. Other then that, we just met periodically on the ship. Not a lot of struction to it. It worked out great.

My sister often vacations with another couple. Most of the time it works out great for them. But they do spend some alone time. She's the planner. Often the other couple likes not to have to think about it and just do whatever she plans.

Have a great time.

We've travelled with friends and family. We plan to have dinner together, and that's it. If we happen to be doing the same thing, whether reading in a lounge or finding ourselves on the same shore excursion, that's great, but we don't plan to do it. Otherwise, I think I'd get on their nerves!:D

To make it work it's very important that everybody has the expectations set up correctly at the beginning of what you will all be doing together. What's worked for us is to let the other folks we are travelling with know what we think we might be doing and make it clear that if something else is more interesting to them, they should go do it and we would all compare notes at dinner or at drinks before dinner. We had one trip with one couple where they expected us to go do everything they wanted to go do and it was a tad uncomfortable at times.

My second cruise was with another couple, we had a blast. Sometimes the girls wanted to do something together, sometimes the guys, sometimes all four of us and sometimes just the couples by themselves. Dinner was the one common denominator and we made sure we got an 8 top so we could meet other people as well. It was great. There is always your cabin phone if you want to contact them or leave a message. The "meeting spots" on a ship are great...pool bar, sky bar, schooner bar etc. :)

We jsut got back from a cruise with my brother and his wife and my parents. We were concerned about trying to plan to please everyone but it worked out great. We agreed that cruising did not have to be a team sport and so it was okay to do things together or not. We sometimes went our separate ways for excursions but always had dinner together. Generally we would do the early show and then the men all wanted to go back to the rooms to relax. Mom, my sil and I stayed out late and had a great time. Relax and have fun!

I see that we all agree that expectations MUST be set before the cruise, and you don't have to spend 24-7 together. We have cruised with friends on 3 different cruises, and we ares still friends! We discuss that we are NOT attached at the hip. Sometimes we do excursions together, and sometimes we don't. We also discuss that we are not going to buy each other drinks. That can get sooooo complicated: "Did I buy him a drink after he bought me one, or is it his time to buy?" As stated by some of the others, we had a common place where we hung out at on deck on sea days, but people came and went. Dinner was the common denominator: we all ate dinner at the same table.

Have a fabulous cruise!

Hi Jo. We have taken five cruises with our best friends who introduced us to cruising. We had a blast. We had most meals together and did lots of our excursions together. We even did a back to back with them. In April it is the first time DH and I are cruising alone as the other couple cannot make it and quite honestly, we are happy to be able to have late seating for a change. No big deal really, just something different. We have a large balcony cabin and will be making this a cozy romantic cruise. We have already met through my roll call about 8 other couples and we are all planning to meet up. So, there are always lots of options. Happy Cruising!

SAIL ON..........LEAVE THE WORLD BEHIND!

LYNNE :cool:

Hmmm. I think you would have to give very careful thought to this. Ten days is a lonnnng time to spend with friends, or even family. (Heck, I'm ready for a break from my DD or DS after 4-5 days, and I love them to death!):D

As long as you both realize you aren't 'joined at the hip', and will have the freedom to go and do whatever separately from them, it would probably be ok. But, yeah, I'd certainly set those guidelines prior to the cruise!

My son and girlfriend and another couple cruised together last year. My son and GF had dinner in the dining room every evening, while the other couple (who brought nothing but shorts) ate at Lido buffet area. No prob there; they had decided not to 'dress up' at all for the cruise. They took excursions together, but as far as while on the ship, they did their own thing, met up at certain times, etc. He said it worked out beautifully.

I always take my Dad cruising and traveling with me. He's very easy to travel with...fits right in my pocket. Wherever we go, I take a pinch of his ashes with me and scatter them somewhere he either loved or would have loved to be. Once when we went up to Volcanos National Park on the Big Island, I left a pinch of his ashes next to a volcanic vent, along with a little bottle of gin and some silver coins (much loved by Madame Pelee, the Volcano Goddess). My husband said "well, Pop, maybe if you take her out for drinks and some dinner you might get lucky tonight". I swear I could hear my Dad laughing.

I figure that I have a good 40 years of traveling left and I think I have enough ashes to last. Then I hope my granddaughter, who loves to travel, will do the same for me.

I always take my Dad cruising and traveling with me. He's very easy to travel with...fits right in my pocket. Wherever we go, I take a pinch of his ashes with me and scatter them somewhere he either loved or would have loved to be. Once when we went up to Volcanos National Park on the Big Island, I left a pinch of his ashes next to a volcanic vent, along with a little bottle of gin and some silver coins (much loved by Madame Pelee, the Volcano Goddess). My husband said "well, Pop, maybe if you take her out for drinks and some dinner you might get lucky tonight". I swear I could hear my Dad laughing.

I figure that I have a good 40 years of traveling left and I think I have enough ashes to last. Then I hope my granddaughter, who loves to travel, will do the same for me.

I am sitting here smiling. :) :) :)

We have traveled with the same couple for 10 years-just about to go again next week with our kids. We normaly only cruise without the kids!:D Did a back to back last year and cruise usually once a year. We often get a balcony room right next to each other. Talk over the balcony and coffee in the morning. Go into ports together and have dinner each nite. We go our merry way any other time and often split up in Ports. We have a blast!!

But we all respect each others space. And never feel bad if one of us says -see you later. Know your friends- we could not do it with any other couple.

have fun!

I research the ports of call. Put together our itenerary based on what we want to do/spend etc. Show it to those that are going with us. They decide if they want to join us. If not they do their own thing and then we meet up at dinner and swap stories.

I also put the phone on do not disturb and hang the sign on the door knob if we are having private time (:rolleyes: ) or just taking a nap. This is a great kid and friend repellent. The rest of the time our door bolt is out and the door is slightly ajar so that those that want can come and go and enjoy the balcony, bug us for arcade money (kids only) or just come hang out without having to knock. :)

I highly suggest you speak frankly with friends/relatives traveling with you. Many have very different interest/fitness levels and that could create undue tensions. Y'all should plan to do your own thing for the most part and then swap adventure stories.

Did a cruise with sis and her hubby, did one with 2 other couples and did travel with 6 couples and each one was great. We always let everyone know before booking that we are all free to do our own thing whenever we want. My hubby and i are late sleepers and others are not. Sometimes we met for breakfast sometimes not. Its always, see ya if you make it. Dinner we liked to have together and review the day and we almost always made it. Lunch, well thats whatever you want. Some of us eat in the dining room, some at the court some of us not at all. . As for port days. We all like different things and we do choose different things. I am not about to go zip lining nor do i want to go aboard another boat to swim and/or visit somewhere when i have just gotten off a boat. Those with kids may want to go do that or something else. The gals like to go to bingo and the guys to golf etc. So remind everyone that its everyones vacation and we all should relax, enjoy and have fun.

We just got back from a cruise with a total of 15 people. Mostly it was fine...except my husbands two single friends (guys in their 40's) drove us INSANE. These guys seemed to have checked their brains at the port....they relied on me for EVERYTHING. They acted like lost children. It was obvious why they have never been married.

The first night we were all in the diningroom at a table for 15 and the two guys did not show. Finally DH went and called their stateroom. They thought WE were going to pick them up!! (We brought our 5 kids with us, we did not need 2 more)

One of them would follow us around after dinner and never took a hint when we wanted to be alone. He would even get into our personal conversations and if we lowered our voices, he thought that was a cue to stand closer to us...:rolleyes:

The other (dork) doesn't pay attention and then asks stupid questions. We would make plans as a group and then he would not show up. Later he would tell us that "I heard something about going _____ but I did not really retain it."

I finally pointed out to him once that he really needed to listen and his exact words were "I am not married, I don't have to listen to anyone." I then told him that this might be the reason he is not married. One of the things he didn't pay attention to was the dress code. He showed up for dinner the first night in an ORANGE Syracuse t-shirt. (YOW)

I could go on and on....all I am trying to say is that you need to chose your traveling companions very carefully. Those two just drained me and I came home feeling like I needed a vacation.

We met 3 wonderful couples on a New Year's Eve 1999-2000 cruise and have kept in touch with them via e-mails and telephone calls ever since. In June/04 we met another couple from Australia on a Mediterranean cruise and thoroughly enjoyed their companionship on and off the ship as well. In Feb/05 all of us (5 couples, all strangers to each other except us) went on a 10 day Panama Canal cruise and had an absolute blast. At sail-away we got together and sort of laid out the ground rules so that nobody would feel obligated to have to spend blocks of time with others. It was decided that we would all meet at dinner each evening and the rest of the time we could either get together or not. It was tremendous becaused although we had different interests, it made for great conversations around the dinner table every night. A couple of days into the trip one couple decided to host pre-dinner cocktails and it turned into a nightly ritual for all of us. Everybody ordered their favorite bottle of liquor from room service and we all enjoyed cocktail hour prior to dinner.

There were several times we'd end up together on the ship - some of them arranged, some by chance, but nobody felt obligated to have to spend time with the others. We all had such a great time that we decided to do it again - something we're all looking forward to.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

I will just say "Cruise with Caution" with other people. We have cruised with another couple and then another cruise with that couple and their children. When it was couples only, it was really fun and pretty laid back. We had a great time. When you added the kids in there it got a little sticky. Let's just say that people on the ship thought that WE had five children. (us: 3 them:2) Their children always were with us it seemed cuz we were doing things...knew what was going on on the ship. It got to be a little tiring. We really would have liked to have a little bit of alone family time!!!

Definitely get rules established before making reservations!! You should make it very clear that you aren't "attached at the hip", make sure that they know that this is your vacation as well as their vacation, not a four-some vacation. (I love how people just kind of invite themselves on vacation with you!! Hey, been there....) You'll find that ships really aren't that big when you want to spend time alone and they are always there....One bit of advice that our TA gave us and set up for us on the couples only cruise that we did...she put our friends in a different area from us. We really didn't need to be side/side there too!!! There were just in a different hallway. There are phones and you can walk...they don't need to be next door too!!

Good luck!!

(This upcoming cruise, it is our family ONLY (we haven't even told anyone that we are going on vacation yet! Not even the kids!!)...plus now the people that we have met on the Roll Call boards! We're friendly and make friends pretty easily!! :rolleyes: :p So, we are really looking forward to this vacation!!)

Archived