New luggage recommendations please

Mullwi

Happy New Year everyone!

my husband and I do two RCCL cruises a year with flights. Our old 28 inch Samsonites are too hard to pull now. I’ve been shopping for replacements. 25 inch is too small since we bring our snorkeling equipment, but the new 29 inch ones seems really big and wide. we’ve always had soft side and think that’s better for us? My priorities are:

• easy to wheel
  • sturdy 
  • fit under RCCL beds
  • Blue or gray so easier to find
  • airline size compliant

Would appreciate any suggestions you have!

Edited by Mullwi
Added soft sided

4 minutes ago, Mullwi said:

Happy New Year everyone!

my husband and I do two RCCL cruises a year with flights. Our old 28 inch Samsonites are too hard to pull now. I’ve been shopping for replacements. 25 inch is too small since we bring our snorkeling equipment, but the new 29 inch ones seems really big and wide. My priorities are:

• easy to wheel
  • sturdy 
  • fit under RCCL beds
  • Blue or gray so easier to find
  • airline size compliant

Would appreciate any suggestions you have!

My pick if money is not an object.

https://www.ebags.com/product/travelpro/platinum-elite-29-expandable-spinner/366573?productid=10705801

Thanks For the recommendation Jim! that does look great. It is a little pricier than I was planning on, but concerned about dimensions being over Jet Blue’s limits. looks like you are in Florida and don’t have to fly for your cruises...lucky🙂.

More data needed.  Besides size, how and where will you use it/them..  Do you typically go from home to airport to cruise or resort?  Do you do independent land trips where you may have to wheel the bags over cobblestones, uneven pavement, or rough surfaces.  Do you rent cars in Asia or Eupope where the rentals are sometimes smaller, with smaller trunks.   Do you ever stay in small hotels or B&Bs where you may have to lug the bag up a floor or two?

we cruise and we do frequent independent land trips.  We have an Eagle Creek and a Rick Steves.  Both in line wheels and well made.  Just replaced the Steve’s with another Eagle Creek (also lifetime warranty).  Nothing wrong with the Steve’s bag ...it was NA carry on size and we required an international size carry on because of where most of our trips, how we travel, and our physical restrictions.

Our requirements were top notch in line wheels, sturdy zippers, good handle, good balance, ie does not fall over when full and the handle Is extended, strong soft side material.  Our first Eagle Creek bag was so good that we bought a second.

Also keep in mind that some of the popular luggage brands have a different look a like product specifically for those department stores,  discounts stores and so called factory outlet stores that routinely sell luggage at 50 percent off.  Similar to mattress and jewelry sales.

No different than what the apparel manufacturers do with their factory outlet stores.

Edited by iancal
  • Thanks 1

Thanks everyone! Went shopping after first few responses and found a good deal on short-term solution for cruise in four weeks, but will start saving for higher-end longer lasting set for future🙂.

• Like 1

Remember, many lines have lifetime warranties, but ONLY against manufacturer defects.  NOT against "wear and tear."  Which is 99% of luggage damage.

Briggs and Riley are one of the few that the warranty covers ANY damage.

My bags are either Eagle Creek (1 carry on size roller) or Osprey (4 bags, from carry on to checked).   Osprey has a "no matter what" warranty.  They have a 28" Sojourn roller that is 28x14x14 so it's not too wide.  And, should the need present itself, it has great backpack straps and hip band.  I have smaller one for my checked bag (a 25" 65L they don't make anymore).  It's also built narrow - I can easily put it in the overhead of a European train.  It has great wheels, too!!!  It's been with me on trips to Europe and Africa and has no "injuries" other than a stain.   

I've been a TUMI fan for years, but their prices have become unrealistic.  

Over the past six months or so we've purchased three pieces of AWAY luggage--the small carry on, the medium, and the large.  Between them and a couple other pieces we own that aren't ready for the trash, we have all the flexibility we'll ever need for luggage.  The small carry on meets the requirements for all airplanes (except the regionals with overhead storage that can only hold a laptop bag or purse).   We took the small carry on and the large to Europe with us and it was on eight flights, three trains, and a road trip while in Austria.  We have used the small for a handful of other trips and the medium twice.    All have performed beautifully.