transportation questions

Sand seeker

If you know the answers to any of the following questions, please respond:

Cost of taxi from cruise port to airport or airport to cruise port (if we picked up a rental car from the airport)?

Is Queen's Highway only one-way? (Google maps won't let me plan a route from Rincon to 1000 Steps, without taking me back to Kralendijk)

Are there Lyft or Uber drivers on Bonaire?

• 3 weeks later...
13 hours ago, TravelBug2A said:

FYI... If you look on googlemaps you will see a couple of car rental agencies within a 10 minute walk of the port. The Divi hotel has hertz rental in it. 

That didn't answer any of the questions I posed. 

The road to 1000 steps is one way going North from the cruise port.  It starts out 2 ways but changes to one way  (northbound only)and it is quite narrow.  Did not notice Uber or Lyft when we stayed on the Island last week.  I don't know the cost of taxi to airport.  This is where we rented, but did a land vacation so we landed at airport.   

On 1/1/2020 at 12:15 PM, Sand seeker said:

Cost of taxi from cruise port to airport or airport to cruise port (if we picked up a rental car from the airport)?

Is Queen's Highway only one-way? (Google maps won't let me plan a route from Rincon to 1000 Steps, without taking me back to Kralendijk)

We rented from caribe which is a 10 minute walk from cruise port. Highly recommend if you'd like to switch. 

Will suggest a few other snorkeling spots by car since 1000 steps was mobbed yesterday with snorkelers and scuba. 1st is Salt pier which is south. If you like turtles, go here. Karpata is 2nd. A little north of 1000 steps and very nice. We tried going up to national park but its $40 a person and takes about 90 minutes to get to the beaches from the entrance on bumpy roads. 

If you are divers, both the above locations had alot of divers as well as snorkelers.

Our rental car cost about $80 including gas and insurance and we were all over the island. We stopped also at the donkey sanctuary and to see the flamingos. 

Queens highway had people driving both ways at some points. 

The ABCs have high taxi fares so I wouldn't be surprised at $25 for 1 mile. 

20200123_153401.jpg

Edited by jean87510

• 4 weeks later...

Helpful info for future renters from the Bonaire cruise port: (Post trip info)

-The NCL ship we were on docked at the Town's Pier, also listed as N. Pier on Google maps. In pre-booking, there were no cars available near the cruise port (with two large ships in port that day), so we had to rent from the airport locations.

-The price of the compact car rental for the day from Dollar with taxes (no insurance purchased) was $48.94. We booked it online in advance using Expedia, but other booking engines would be similar. 

-It appeared the cost to take a taxi from the cruise port to the airport was about $25 one way.

-No Lyft, Uber or city bus option was available. 

-We decided to walk 41 minutes (3.3km/2miles) from the North Pier to the Dollar/Hertz office outside the airport to pick up the car.

-Renting a vehicle near the cruise port is about twice as much so we chose to walk a bit to save some $.

-Also, our ship was scheduled to dock at 7am but the car counters near the cruise port did not open until 8am or 9am. The airport car counter was open at 7am, so we could pick up that car earlier. That was handy because our ship was only in port that day until 1pm. 

-When we picked up the car we told the counter agent we walked from the cruise port. She said we could return the car to the Divi Flamingo Resort, which is about a half mile from the north cruise port - we did this at no extra cost. 

-We drove to 1000 Steps for snorkeling. There were only about 5 people at 1000 Steps when we arrived about 8:15am. The snorkeling was good. After about 45 min. when we got out, buses/vans/taxis with other tourists started to arrive. They didn't appear to go to the beach, but were all over the stairs area taking photos and crossing the road. 

- The drive from 1000 Steps toward Goto Lake and Rincon was very slow due to slower moving golf carts and buses stopping and a large motorcycle group - so that slowed our route down significantly. Our plan was to also go hiking at Dos Pos in Rincon, but because it took so long to make our way there due to traffic - we would not have had time to do the hike and get back to the other side of the island and return the car in time to make the ship. So we abandoned our hiking plans. 

-Only found two gas station options near Kralendijk when returning the car. The one near the airport was extrememly busy with a long waiting line. Need to pay for gas in advance of pumping. If you don't know how much you are putting in, you need to give them cash and go back after fueling and they will give you change. They accepted US dollars. 

- We returned the car to the Divi Flamingo Resort location. When I went to the front desk to ask where the office was to return the Dollar car, I was told they only have Hertz there. I went to the Hertz office and that office agent also handles Dollar and Thrifty car rentals. Returning the car to this location was convenient, however we had to do it about 12pm because they close for lunch for about an hour. 

Edited by Sand seeker
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nice 

We always rent from Hertz in Divi hotel cheaper than most w insurance, gps, cell phone. Always arrange a pick up and drop off even if not scheduled during regular business hours. Chris there is awesome! 

Most car rentals I inquired with work around cruise ship schedule just like Hertz in Divi. 

Edited by shelly222
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 1/24/2020 at 11:34 AM, jean87510 said:

We rented from caribe which is a 10 minute walk from cruise port. Highly recommend if you'd like to switch. 

Do you know if there is a way to book a car ahead of time?

On 2/21/2020 at 10:33 AM, shelly222 said:

Nice 

We always rent from Hertz in Divi hotel cheaper than most w insurance, gps, cell phone. Always arrange a pick up and drop off even if not scheduled during regular business hours. Chris there is awesome! 

Most car rentals I inquired with work around cruise ship schedule just like Hertz in Divi. 

How do you contact Chris? 

queens highway is till 1000 steps 2 ways. After 1000 in the direction rincon it’s one way.
No Uber on the island.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Forums

• 1 year later...
On 2/21/2020 at 6:05 AM, Sand seeker said:

-We decided to walk 41 minutes (3.3km/2miles) from the North Pier to the Dollar/Hertz office outside the airport to pick up the car.

This is our plan! We'll be renting from Avis at the airport though because Hertz only allows minimum three-day rentals. How was the walk? Did it seem safe in terms of traffic and crosswalks? Really appreciate your detailed post!