Flooded Cabin & OBC Compensation not received

aussiebossyboots

5 hours ago, leck57 said:

I haven't seen Princess insurance offered here either but I understand that they don't cover flights (unless EZ air) hotel bookings etc, so why would you bother. I just take out single trip insurance and as I have had cancer I now use one of the few companies here that offer cancel for any reason. I'm not usually specifically covered for cancer related reasons including any effects from my treatment (Immunotherapy) so now having cancel for any reason gives me piece of mind. 

As for credit card related insurance that is a minefield and the fine print needs close examination. It often means you have to pay for your trip using the card which can mean fees of up to 1.5%, which is avoided if you direct bank transfer the funds. That sometimes cancels out the cost of arranging your own insurance which I think is less risky.

Leck57 , What Insurance Company do you use.  I have trouble getting travel insurance with 2 Australian companies due to existing conditions. I am always on the lookout for comparisons.  Thank you in advance.

2 hours ago, Marjule said:

Leck57 , What Insurance Company do you use.  I have trouble getting travel insurance with 2 Australian companies due to existing conditions. I am always on the lookout for comparisons.  Thank you in advance.

The one usually offered by the big 2 which is CoverMore. Their premiums are a bit on the high side and I used to go to my TA armed with a couple of other quotes and they usually matched them. However now after my cancer drama started, they were the only ones that offered cancel for any reason so I have lost a bit of bargaining power. I'm still covered for things like if I got run down by a bus, any other illness, and the usual things like delays and stolen stuff, just nothing related to metastatic melanoma. That said, if I book a fair way in advance and my problem resurfaces, then I can cancel up to 2 days before departure using the cancel for any reason and I'm covered. Fortunately the miracle that is Immunotherapy is working for me and I'm winning.

In relation to CoverMore you just do a brief online disclosure of your medical issues (I did it with my TA) and they usually just offer you the premium with those conditions omitted. AS I said though, cancel for any reason basically covers you until you leave.

Hope that helps and good luck.

1 hour ago, leck57 said:

The one usually offered by the big 2 which is CoverMore. Their premiums are a bit on the high side and I used to go to my TA armed with a couple of other quotes and they usually matched them. However now after my cancer drama started, they were the only ones that offered cancel for any reason so I have lost a bit of bargaining power. I'm still covered for things like if I got run down by a bus, any other illness, and the usual things like delays and stolen stuff, just nothing related to metastatic melanoma. That said, if I book a fair way in advance and my problem resurfaces, then I can cancel up to 2 days before departure using the cancel for any reason and I'm covered. Fortunately the miracle that is Immunotherapy is working for me and I'm winning.

In relation to CoverMore you just do a brief online disclosure of your medical issues (I did it with my TA) and they usually just offer you the premium with those conditions omitted. AS I said though, cancel for any reason basically covers you until you leave.

Hope that helps and good luck.

I am so glad that your treatment is working. My four brushes with melanoma have not needed such aggressive treatment.

2 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

I am so glad that your treatment is working. My four brushes with melanoma have not needed such aggressive treatment.

Unfortunately many melanomas are not found on the body and then move inside to create their havoc. Mine when found inside was stage 4 but Immunotherapy is a wonder if it works and is suitable to treat the cancer that you have, which it is in my case on the three tumours that had spread. Two have gone, one is down to just 5mm, but since things started to look up we started to book cruises like mad. I probably should not be here but luck was on my side - a standard blood donation indicated something was up.

Thanks for your wishes and I hope people in Aust that read this now know that you can get insurance and not feel homebound. Hopefully Marjule will get insurance coverage.