Can't Maneuver Around Other Mobility Devices Parked In The Corridor?

SargassoPirate

15 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

This last is what both helen haywood and gut2407 were objecting to.  Your sarcastic dismissal of part time scooter users is demeaning to those who need mobility devices.

It appears that I have struck a nerve.  Good!  Anyone who actually needs a mobility device is certainly entitled to use one whether full time or part time.  Using such a device comes with certain responsibilities and I will continue to speak out about people who abuse/ignore their responsibilities. 

1 minute ago, crazyank said:

It appears that I have struck a nerve.  Good!  Anyone who actually needs a mobility device is certainly entitled to use one whether full time or part time.  Using such a device comes with certain responsibilities and I will continue to speak out about people who abuse/ignore their responsibilities. 

No you st yourself up of judge And jury  of someone’s need for. Device, based on if they need it all the time or have good days when they are “miraculously healed”

• Like 3

2 hours ago, crazyank said:

Fine, then keep to the topic of improper use, and stay away from making judgements on those who may not meet your definition of disabled, and who may need their scooter only part time.  And leave the judging of who "actually needs" a scooter to the medical professionals and those who use them.

• Like 7

My husband uses a mobility scooter and can't get around without one.  That does not mean that he is "unable to walk".  I, on the other hand, appear totally ambulatory but actually I have a heart condition with makes it difficult for me to do much walking.  At this time, I do not use any mobility devices but at some time in the future I may need to use something to make my cruise experience better.

Please don't judge me if one day I use a walker and the next day I don't.

Also, because of the scooter, we always book an accessible cabin so that the scooter is parked inside according to the rules.

• Like 3

This cruise we have a standard cabin because one of my chairs will fit fine, unfortunately that chair had a malfunction, so we bought the chair my wife has to lift in and out the door of the cabin, it is still in the cabin when not in use.

On 1/6/2020 at 11:14 AM, crazyank said:

That would be an excellent idea.  Cruise lines could also insist that guests bringing scooters on board present a Doctor's letter stating that they actually need a scooter.  I can't begin to count how many times we have seen people driving a scooter around the ship and then seen the same person on walking around in port.  Must be some miraculous healing happening when they step off the ship.  Scooter drivers should also be held responsible for any injuries or damage they cause.

Are you a licensed M.D. who can diagnose people from a distance?  Also, how do you know that I, or others have not provided your suggested 'doctor's letter'?

Without ever meeting me, you seem to know a lot about my medical condition.

Granted, there are some 'cheats' out there who will scam the system.  But please don't generalize by saying that we are all in that position based on YOUR observations.  Just what are your qualifications or credentials?

Also, are you a licensed attorney specializing in "personal injury" claims?  You seem quick to offer your specialized advice about liabilities.  Just curious on this one.

• Like 1

Back on topic for a moment.  On our last cruise, a TATL voyage on the NCL Encore, many hallways were a bit narrow.  It would have been fine (the wheelchair I use for travel is, in fact, a child/teen size transport wheelchair, lightweight and compact), except for the inevitable service trolleys left outside the cabins (can't be helped) and the sometimes prodigious number of mobility scooters left in the selfsame hallways.  My husband (who was pushing my transport chair) found himself weaving and bobbing along the hall, avoiding obstacles left and right, as we made our way to breakfast in the morning (this was particularly "interesting" early in our voyage, when we had some rough seas).  It should not have been that difficult.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, ysolde said:

Back on topic for a moment.  On our last cruise, a TATL voyage on the NCL Encore, many hallways were a bit narrow.  It would have been fine (the wheelchair I use for travel is, in fact, a child/teen size transport wheelchair, lightweight and compact), except for the inevitable service trolleys left outside the cabins (can't be helped) and the sometimes prodigious number of mobility scooters left in the selfsame hallways.  My husband (who was pushing my transport chair) found himself weaving and bobbing along the hall, avoiding obstacles left and right, as we made our way to breakfast in the morning (this was particularly "interesting" early in our voyage, when we had some rough seas).  It should not have been that difficult.

Totally agree with you.  The service trolley is our big problem.  I know they need their supplies available, but sometimes it is difficult to find the stewards to ask them to move them. 

• Like 1

On 1/8/2020 at 11:17 AM, chengkp75 said:

This last is what both helen haywood and gut2407 were objecting to.  Your sarcastic dismissal of part time scooter users is demeaning to those who need mobility devices.

I totally agree with you,  you have no right to sarcastically judge someone you know nothing about.  My wife and I have been on 18 cruises.  Three & 1/2 years ago I was hit head on by a road raging truck driver and suffered 14 broken bones in both legs and my left arm.  After 14 Orthopedic surgeries I can now walk limited amounts at home with a quad cane.  We have been on 5 cruises since then and I bring my electric wheelchair and quad cane with me.  If you saw me out and about the ship, I might not be using the chair at all times,  I only need it for longer distances.  I can walk maybe 10-20 ft on my own,  with great Pain.  You would probably see me and think WTH does he need a chair/scooter for.   My only point is DON"T judge others you know nothing about.  If you want to know the real reason for the chairs being parked in the hallway, it is because FULLY accessible cabins are the only ones on board with doors wider than 21 inches,  and these cabins are Very limited.  Many scooters will fit thru the smaller doors but most electric chairs and 4 wheel scooters won't.  Easy solution,  BUILD ALL NEW SHIPS WITH ALL ACCESSIBLE CABIN DOORS WIDER,  not just wider on Fully accessible.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bobbaluha said:

I totally agree with you,  you have no right to sarcastically judge someone you know nothing about.  My wife and I have been on 18 cruises.  Three & 1/2 years ago I was hit head on by a road raging truck driver and suffered 14 broken bones in both legs and my left arm.  After 14 Orthopedic surgeries I can now walk limited amounts at home with a quad cane.  We have been on 5 cruises since then and I bring my electric wheelchair and quad cane with me.  If you saw me out and about the ship, I might not be using the chair at all times,  I only need it for longer distances.  I can walk maybe 10-20 ft on my own,  with great Pain.  You would probably see me and think WTH does he need a chair/scooter for.   My only point is DON"T judge others you know nothing about.  If you want to know the real reason for the chairs being parked in the hallway, it is because FULLY accessible cabins are the only ones on board with doors wider than 21 inches,  and these cabins are Very limited.  Many scooters will fit thru the smaller doors but most electric chairs and 4 wheel scooters won't.  Easy solution,  BUILD ALL NEW SHIPS WITH ALL ACCESSIBLE CABIN DOORS WIDER,  not just wider on Fully accessible.

Well Mr. Bobba....,

Funny you should mention it! I got hit head on 14 years ago by a drunk and drugged driver who almost killed me and my passenger.  But you and I don't need to provide explanations to anyone.

A few years ago I was on a Celebrity cruise and had an opportunity to ask (in a public forum) Lisa Lutoff Perlo, Pres. about what was being done to the ships to provide more accessible cabins since one must book as much as one to two years in advance.  Her politician's response gave a statistical reply to the number HC cabins that  were on  board.  Did not address the question as to why more were not built or modified.

The honest answer is that an HC cabin takes up more space than a regular cabin and that means less $ income.  Bottom line is:  HC is a very low priority.

High priority now is programs like Gwyneth Paltrow's new products to include candles that smell like her vagina!

All in the name of empowering women!  I wonder how many cabin doors could be widened for the cost of this nasty, nonsense program?
Perhaps L-LP will someday see the light and start 'empowering the handicapped'.  My guess is that that is unlikely if it costs money.  But we can hope.

L-LP please tell us what you are doing to alleviate the problem and support those who are handicapped. A large segment of your customers would like to know

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 1/5/2020 at 12:39 PM, Algebralovr said:

I was at least able to get through the hallway.  
The parking place they used was in a corner, and didn’t impede the traffic.  

I wish they would offer “valet parking” of scooters!  That would be a huge help,  but sadly they do not.

When we were on in the Summit in June, they did.  All we needed to do was park in the corner of the elevator lobby and then call guest services - within 5 minutes the scooters were gone - they also charged them for us and returned them bright and early the next morning.  

• Like 1